First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I spend a lot of time idling in my hybrid. Often the a/C is on and the engine does not come on. The a/c works great at idle because it is electric. I assume the ecoboost works off a drive belt and at idle it is not quite as efficient as when the engine is running faster. The idle is very quiet with the hybrid. It is much more pleasant than my f150.
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So you guys think the extended idling issue is a wash between the two drivetrains? I gather from the responses the ice on the hybrid would have to kick in and off to run the ac parked and the ecoboost obviously would have the engine on the whole time. I’ve never had a turbo or hybrid. I know idling is hard on engines but due to the disability we are dealing with it is unavoidable. I’m thinking (just common sense no data) that the turbo would like idling less than the hybrid which is made to start stop anyway running like 5 min on and 5 min off. Might end up being a moot point if it looks like the hybrid won’t get built. We currently are using a 2016 focus that has 175k miles and about 10hrs a week idle time for the last 6 years. It’s getting tired.
Don’t think the turbo comes in to play…Turbos normally recycles exhaust into the ICE only at excelleration, not during idling.

The Hybrid ICE is (250cc) bigger but lower rpms, than the EcoBoost ICE (200cc). On the Hybrid the AC pump is electric and runs off the battery until you have a low battery then the Hybrid ICE turns on to recharge the battery. Once battery is charged the Hybrid ICE turns off. The EcoBoost ICE would have to run all the time. I have a 911 Turbo and if I let it idle for 30 minutes the temperature gauge goes to hot. 45 minutes it would be overheating. The Hybrid might have an edge since it is running A/C off the battery for quite a while before the ICE kicks on. The Hybrid does not have a starter…you don't hear it start. I'm not sure but sounds like the hybrid has an edge to let the ICE cool down…where the EcoB would be running all the time having to turn a radiator fan, a/c compressor and alternator.

Last edited:

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
3. This vehicle will be used for a disabled person with medical conditions that requires alotnof idling and air condition use. As much as 5-10hours per week. Is there a preference between the hybrid and ecoboost for heavy idling?
With that much idling getting an extended warranty would likely make sense.

Also be sure to do your oil changes and other maintenance a lot sooner than recommended based on mileage. I have heard that with the Ecoboost with the turbo it is best to do oil changes sooner than later even with normal use.

If someone will be sitting in the back seat make sure that enough AC will get to them. I don't have one yet and I don't recall if there are air vents in the back or not.

Ford Maverick Maniac

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 XLTs: hybrid alto blue & turbo AWD carb gray.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since the price is 2 for the cost of one full size, I could not decide so I bought (and kept) one of each. Ordered way before the long line.

The Mav videos on my channel helps explain what I use them for. Hope this helps.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With that much idling getting an extended warranty would likely make sense.

Also be sure to do your oil changes and other maintenance a lot sooner than recommended based on mileage. I have heard that with the Ecoboost with the turbo it is best to do oil changes sooner than later even with normal use.

If someone will be sitting in the back seat make sure that enough AC will get to them. I don't have one yet and I don't recall if there are air vents in the back or not.
There are air vents under the front seats that work pretty good.

The AC system on the ecoboost is no joke in my opinion. It’ll freeze you out quickly and I rarely use higher fan setttings, Max AC, etc. Way better than any of my Toyota’s and all of my past Ford’s. I suspect the small cabin area and narrow glass helps keep the heat down and allows it to cool faster.

There are also vent hoses you can buy aftermarket that either clip or zip tie onto a front vent even if someone needed more air than that but I’d think in most areas you’ll be fine without these in a Maverick.

As much as I like my ecoboost, I think constant idling with the AC on high would be rough on this engine. My FX4 was excellent in upper 90s this summer with the AC on and sitting in hours of traffic but actually sitting parked for 5-10 hours a week with the AC on? I can’t see the turbo being happy to do that for years on end in my opinion or without following a severe maintenance schedule to keep clean oil in it all the time.

I think the hybrid is going to have the advantage here in terms of AC and idling use.

Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Of course I know the difference. My brand does not have any hybrid models, and when I was with Ford/Lincoln for 8 years I do not recall how many and at what cost a hybrid battery was at customer pay money. (warranty dollars aren't totally relevant) But, I can tell you that I had more hybrid issues than turbo failures. That said, the ECO is not without problems, and in a thread about extended warranties I mentioned this in good detail. I am merely offering an opinion based on experience and personal preference. If you are a massive hybrid fanboy, then great. I am not telling you or the OP not to get one. Let it go man. He asked for opinions and I offered one. I have also conceded the price of the hybrid battery. If you want to just argue, find someone else.
You offered an opinion with factually wrong statements. No hybrid fanboy here, this is my first (and likely last) hybrid - for OP's use case, the hybrid is almost assuredly the cheaper long-term option, although that may not be the most important factor in their decision.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You offered an opinion with factually wrong statements. No hybrid fanboy here, this is my first (and likely last) hybrid - for OP's use case, the hybrid is almost assuredly the cheaper long-term option, although that may not be the most important factor in their decision.
And subsequently acknowledged my error, in more than one post. Get off my nuts man. Do you not have something better to do with your time?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve read a ton of threads and there is alotnof variation. Even saying the ecoboost will “only” get 25mpg and the hybrid at 40mpg I’m calculating a 5000$ difference over 100,000 miles. All else equal I’d rather save 5k but have some questions.
1. I think my ecoboost will more likely get built and built a lot sooner.
2. 70% of my miles are 75mph on gently rolling highway basednon the threads the delta for the hybrid will be much less at these speeds
3. This vehicle will be used for a disabled person with medical conditions that requires alotnof idling and air condition use. As much as 5-10hours per week. Is there a preference between the hybrid and ecoboost for heavy idling?
4. maybe based on opinions of #3 above I may change my mind but I’m thinking of going with what will have the most longevity. I don’t trade carsin and usually run them to 175-250k. Is there a preference between the drivetrains on longevity and maintenance costs?
Wondering why a compact pick up in short supply and high demand with little opportunity purchase off a lot and test drive to meet the disabled person requirements became your top pick of a vehicle? Sounds like a number of smaller SUVs would work and be easier and faster to acquire?

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve read a ton of threads and there is alotnof variation. Even saying the ecoboost will “only” get 25mpg and the hybrid at 40mpg I’m calculating a 5000$ difference over 100,000 miles. All else equal I’d rather save 5k but have some questions.
2. 70% of my miles are 75mph on gently rolling highway basednon the threads the delta for the hybrid will be much less at these speeds
4. maybe based on opinions of #3 above I may change my mind but I’m thinking of going with what will have the most longevity. I don’t trade carsin and usually run them to 175-250k. Is there a preference between the drivetrains on longevity and maintenance costs?
Ill address your points one at a time.
1. This is accurate. Exo boosts exist. Hybriids are an urban legend lol kidding but what you said is accurate. My xlt eco came to me in 4 months.
2. Your driving mirrors mine quite well. I get 30mpg driving in normal mode over the past 8k miles ive had the truck. Im just beginning an eco mode test over the past couple fills. Ive heard you can get closer to 35. from what i hear the hybriid isnt saving you much for highway.
3. just note that whether youre driving hybriid or eco this will likely impact your mpg greatly and somewhat equally.
4. Longevity wise there is a lot of variation on peoples opinions. Engine wise, i think its a wash. The hybriid portion seems to be having some hickups with first gens but its all under warrenty for like 10 years or something. Tranny wise im not familiar with the cvt, but theyve been using 8speeds with success for a long time.
Happy shopping!

OP
OP

Boomerang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid base on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wondering why a compact pick up in short supply and high demand with little opportunity purchase off a lot and test drive to meet the disabled person requirements became your top pick of a vehicle? Sounds like a number of smaller SUVs would work and be easier and faster to acquire?
Cost. I’d love to get a class B rv with a rooftop ac unit that can run all night with an on board generator. I really like how those airstream class B look! But I don’t have the money for that.
I’m looking at maverick for the same reason as everyone else for the price, mpg, and space I think it’s a good deal.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ill address your points one at a time.
1. This is accurate. Exo boosts exist. Hybriids are an urban legend lol kidding but what you said is accurate. My xlt eco came to me in 4 months.
2. Your driving mirrors mine quite well. I get 30mpg driving in normal mode over the past 8k miles ive had the truck. Im just beginning an eco mode test over the past couple fills. Ive heard you can get closer to 35. from what i hear the hybriid isnt saving you much for highway.
3. just note that whether youre driving hybriid or eco this will likely impact your mpg greatly and somewhat equally.
4. Longevity wise there is a lot of variation on peoples opinions. Engine wise, i think its a wash. The hybriid portion seems to be having some hickups with first gens but its all under warrenty for like 10 years or something. Tranny wise im not familiar with the cvt, but theyve been using 8speeds with success for a long time.
Happy shopping!
It's not a CVT. It's a eCVT, big difference. eCVT is better.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive alot of highway. Truck is to maximize using hills and in city. I regularly get 40-50 mpg driving like a Prius driver will get me towards the higher end. But I also don’t use AC. I think hybrid can last forever but everything depends on maintenance

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is a clear cut case of having no clear cut case.

I don't think it matters from a mechanical standpoint for you.

Since EB is easier to get, if you want one faster, that could be the tie breaker.

You literally have a coin toss in this case.

Matverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xlt Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like OP is living in a very warm area w/out snow or rain, and based on the post, not quite looking for an AWD powertrain. From other posts I read, you should look into E85 for how often it is running; much cheaper, burns cleaner, and for idling multiple hours a day, all the complaints are negated imo. If i didn't need a new ride sooner vs later, I would have chosen a hybrid. It has everything you need, and all the comforts you want for what OP is looking for besides wait time. When it came time for me to order my maverick, hybrid orders were already full, apparently, so I thought long and hard and decided ecoboost was more important in the long run for versatility with AWD in rain, snow, and a bit of ice for better traction control, and my very light off road scenarios in spring. Tow pack for my dad's big trailer that weighs 3000 pounds empty was also something for a special couple times a year scenario bringing it home or so. (And that one guy's tuning and modifications to get 39 mpg has my attention if it does not void warranty)
*Edit- corrected info on flex fuel
TL:DR choose the hybrid if it is just treated as a car with a flatbed and willing to wait, or choose ecoboost for using it as a cheaper mini truck that still has better mpg than any other truck on the market... So far.

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Being in a place where E85 is everywhere, it cuts cost of my fuel by a significant margin as well, making the tradeoff of fuel economy negated. (And that one guy's tuning and modifications to get 39 mpg has my attention if it does not void warranty)
The Maverick is a flex fuel vehicle? I don't remember that with the XL EB I had.
Sponsored