MacGyver

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Hi all,
I made a reservation on June 9th a two dealers, both about 5 miles from my house. One said they'd call me back when order banks open and the other said they could place an order right away. I made an appointment, placed an order on the 12th, and received an e-mail confirmation of my order from Ford. XLT 2.0 AWD with luxery package in Carbonized Gray for ~$29,500. She was excited because this was the first Maverick order at their dealership. However, I'm torn between the 2.0 and the 2.5. My salesperson let me know that I can change the build up until Monday or Tuesday. I was hoping y'all could help me decide based on the utility I'm wanting out of this truck.

I'm not planning on towing any thing substantial, maybe a kayak trailer in the future. I work from home now, so gas milage isn't all that important to me, although it'd be nice to finally own a hybrid because I do care about the environment. Where I live in the northeast, there's usually a few pretty big ice/snow storms each year. If I went without the AWD, I could easily just stay off the roads if they were bad. I'll probably get a truck rack to load longer items and a canoe onto.

Initially I didn't consider going without the AWD, but the dealer was really pushing the hybrid (anyone know why?). The more I'm thinking about it, the more it makes sense, especially with the build price coming down to ~$26,200 and gas savings of around $500 yearly.

Does anyone have any opinions either way? Or is maybe in a similar situation? I've heard good things about both power trains, so I think I'd be happy either way, but would like some advice.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
Ford is forcing us to choose between MPG and utility, so resale value will be a consideration. The hybrid is most likely going to be the choice for fleet buyers, but outdoorsy types and tough winter weather locations will seek the gas with AWD.

OP
OP

MacGyver

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
That does make sense. So your recommendation for me would be to stick with the 2.0/AWD? Thanks alot for the reply.

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
You could certainly get away with the hybrid and enjoy the fuel economy on a more regular basis than needing the AWD, and pay less for it up front as well. I have a Ram 1500 Hemi with 4” lift and 35s, so the 2.0T and AWD is going to be a huge improvement vs the 12-13 I get on the hilly 80mph turnpikes in Oklahoma. I can get 15+ around town but the lift and tires kill the aerodynamics at higher speeds

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even though I'd prefer AWD and some of the extra towing capacity, this truck will be my daily driver (the biggest portion of which is surface street driving), so I opted for the hybrid. It's definitely a tradeoff based upon the options/trims that are currently available for the Maverick, but for my foreseeable future purposes I'll really value the MPG and will still be able to tow a small pop-up camper and other such utility things.

I'm hoping down the line as this vehicle develops that I'll be able to add some additional pieces, such as a skid plate or two, etc.

Sponsored

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Bronco Black Diamond
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the value in this truck is the hybrid motor and the 2 lower trims. If I were going to tow or go off road much, I'd be looking at other models (maybe the new '22 Ranger for the bump in capability). I live in the southwest, so take it with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that snow tires are more important than AWD - plenty of folks get through winters driving FWD and snow tires. I need a truck for home depot, the dump, hauling a bike rack around and efficient, comfortable trips. I'm replacing a '00 Tacoma V6 -- a V6 that get's the mileage of a V8, 17mpg combined - so 40mpg is very compelling to me.

OP
OP

MacGyver

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Thanks all for your thoughts and reasons behind choosing your builds. Another reason, besides the cost, that I'm drawn to this truck (vs something more capable) is the spacious back seat. I'll have 2 rear facing carseats back there for a couple of years.

I just sold my '07 frontier king cab and have been in the market for a replacement. Still have my eye on the redesigned 2022 frontier, however the smaller backseat might not work.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here in the Great White North you really want AWD if you go outside of any urban area. In winter. I use AWD with snow tires.

2WD kills resale value.

I went with the tow package and FX4 because it makes for a really good city person's country weekend adventure truck. My neighbor has a Taco with a snorkel that doesn't fit in her driveway. I've never seen dirt on it.

OP
OP

MacGyver

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
That's a good point about resale. I'm planning on driving this truck for many years, but ya never know. Btw....do you think the A/T tires that come with the offroad package will be better in snow than the all seasons?

Sponsored

Panoptikom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW & Mazda
...do you think the A/T tires that come with the offroad package will be better in snow than the all seasons?
Dunno the answer to that as I’ve only ever had a succession of sport compact cars (this will be my first truck) but was wondering about that too - especially since the vast majority of my driving will be on pavement in urban areas. I’ll probably just swap the A/T tires with good all-seasons and call it a day.

That said, as others have mentioned, nothing beats a good set of dedicated snow/winter tires for winter driving. They’re magic. :)

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Bronco Black Diamond
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's a good point about resale. I'm planning on driving this truck for many years, but ya never know. Btw....do you think the A/T tires that come with the offroad package will be better in snow than the all seasons?
I'm going to sound like your Dad. :D But with a growing family and 95% of your needs - the Hybrid is a no-brainer. Save money up front and save on enough gas to make up a good portion of your monthly payment. For the one or two times a year you want to go off-roading - rent a Jeep or a Bronco. There is also a reddit group r/FordMaverickTruck that's discussing the need or lack of, of AWD in snowy climes.

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I suspect that the turbo all-wheel drive is several thousand dollars more, and will cost more to own and maintain. I think respective complication is about the same reliability wise.

Plus one on snow tires being more important. As I recall, Subaru would not let us put chains on our outback without disabling the all-wheel drive. That may also be true of the Maverick and any other all-wheel drive vehicle. When you really need traction, there is nothing like chains. There is probably nothing more aggravating then chains when you don't really need them!

Which do you enjoy more, playing the mileage game, or playing boy racer? You can play either with either model, but there will be significant differences in the outcome.

It would probably help to make a list of the pros and cons of each.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMO, the AWD should be better in all conditions- not just snow. Better grip at all 4 corners and more even power distribution to all wheels. I live in SW Colorado and we get some snow, some rain, and have a lot of dirt roads (I live on one) since it's rural. My Jeep Grand Cherokee is full time 4 wheel drive and excels in all our conditions and provides a very confident and secure feeling while driving. My wife's Subaru outback is the same, but with AWD instead of full time 4WD. Our 2018 F-150 has select-able 4WD, but default mode is 2WD. Any trips with snow or Ice on roads or lots of wet roads from rain, the F-150 stays home.

initially, I thought I 'liked" the idea of hybrid for the gas mileage too. I have never owned a FWD vehicle, but always heard Torque Steer was a known negative side effect of transverse mounted engine FWD vehicles. Did a bunch of reading and found the 2 methods of countering torque steer is AWD and/or boxer style motor mounted lower in the chassis like Subaru's symmetrical AWD. Another negative for me is the CVT. The tow rating is less in the hybrid and it also gives up about 100HP vs. 2.0. That translates to less capability to get up to flow of traffic speeds entering freeway and sketchy passing ability in test reports I've read on other hybrids. I have a small toybox trailer about the same size as the trailer shown in Maverick promos. I figure it comes in at about 3,000 lb loaded for a trip which hybrid can't tow. All those reasons pushed me to the 2.0 AWD.

So you have some concerns about the build price, as did I. You listed a build price of ~$26,200 with the 2.5 + options. I went with base XL, then added 2.0EB + AWD, 4k Tow package, spray in bedliner, full size spare tire, tailgate lock, and all weather floor mats. My estimated net price is $26,365 and gives me everything I wanted/needed since XL comes nicely equipped standard. As to your annual gas saving estimate of $500, that's $41/mo or $10.00/week- but I rarely drive more than 10 miles a day so that wasn't an issue for me having the bigger motor + AWD.

I didn't see any compelling reason (you may feel different) to go up to XLT or add luxury package for my needs, but I still came out near same price you have for lesser capable hybrid. I'm gonna run the standard steelie wheels until bald, then put snow tires on the rims and buy some nicer wheels for Spring/Summer/Autumn driving and have best of both worlds :cool: Just food for thought...

OP
OP

MacGyver

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Wow thanks all. So many varying opinions with good points. There are probably several different builds that would work for me, just trying to figure out the best, which is why I'm here :). It's been super helpful. I'll make may way over to reddit and check out the maverick thread over there as well.
Sponsored