First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on your info, you should get an Eco. More likely to be built. Also hybrid gets 33 mpg on highway where Eco gets 30 mpg (29 mpg awd). Fuel savings for highway driving not significant.
I don't know where you're getting those numbers, but my Hybrid gets a Combined 50 plus miles to the gallon per tank full
Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know where you're getting those numbers, but my Hybrid gets a Combined 50 plus miles to the gallon per tank full
And I agree with another post that if you're gonna get that sub 30 miles per gallon from the Ecoboost there are many more truck options out there and you don't have to wait up to 12 months to get your truck! If you're lucky🎰

Ragtime Billy Peaches

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f250 Crew Diesel 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And I agree with another post that if you're gonna get that sub 30 miles per gallon from the Ecoboost there are many more truck options out there and you don't have to wait up to 12 months to get your truck! If you're lucky🎰
Ok, like what ? How much are they ? I'll go get one.

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ahhh...you ordered both...my bet is that you get the Eco first, and like it so much that you refuse the Hybrid

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Based on your info, you should get an Eco. More likely to be built. Also hybrid gets 33 mpg on highway where Eco gets 30 mpg (29 mpg awd). Fuel savings for highway driving not significant.
Ecoboost engine with eco mode enabled under ideal conditions from my personal experience you can get up to 35 MPG for highway but realistically except for cold weather conditions 30 - 33 and change MPG with eco mode. Mixed driving conditions 28 1/2 to 30 and change MPG with eco mode.

Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve read a ton of threads and there is alotnof variation. Even saying the ecoboost will “only” get 25mpg and the hybrid at 40mpg I’m calculating a 5000$ difference over 100,000 miles. All else equal I’d rather save 5k but have some questions.
1. I think my ecoboost will more likely get built and built a lot sooner.
2. 70% of my miles are 75mph on gently rolling highway basednon the threads the delta for the hybrid will be much less at these speeds
3. This vehicle will be used for a disabled person with medical conditions that requires alotnof idling and air condition use. As much as 5-10hours per week. Is there a preference between the hybrid and ecoboost for heavy idling?
4. maybe based on opinions of #3 above I may change my mind but I’m thinking of going with what will have the most longevity. I don’t trade carsin and usually run them to 175-250k. Is there a preference between the drivetrains on longevity and maintenance costs?
1. no answer
2. You get better gas mileage with hybrids in city driving conditions than open highways with that said 40 - 44 MPG is not out of the realm of possibilty for the type of driving you describe.
3. Both have auto start/stop which will cut the engine when idling under certain conditions that will help decrease gas usage so the deciding factor here is how the hybrid makes use if at all of the battery during idle conditions when the auto start/stop system isn't engaged.
4. The wildcard here is the battery pack for the hybrid, it should last that long but if it doesn't that will be one of the major differences in overall long term maintainance/repair costs if it goes assuming both are FWD then you need to weigh the potential costs of the AWD components. In the case of AWD realistically if you keep on top of changing the fluid in the PTU there is no reason the AWD drivetrain shouldn't last at least 200K.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you been able to try both of the powertrains? Your personal preference may be heavily one way or the other. I was able to drive both in Escapes as they were available prior to ordering. For myself it was definitely the hybrid even without factoring in the fuel economy.

Reactions: Aza

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To answer No. 3: it won't matter. Extended A/C use will kick on the ICE either way. The battery in the hybrid isn't big enough for extended A/C use.

Keep in mind, you will have to futz around with the settings. The vehicle will turn itself off if you leave it just idling for too long, even with you in it.
I've done Hybrid multiple 1,000 mile trips with A/C running full time in 95-105 degrees and Hybrid A/C is about as good as any vehicle I've ever owned. MPG might drop 1.5 miles per gallon but I doubt it....I'll keep my 40-46 MPG with A/C or Heater on. I have a work EcoBoost for our shop parked side by side and unless I'm hauling something really heavy in a trailer, I use the Hybrid every day. One of the reason is only stopping ONCE A MONTH for gas in the Hybrid is a major convenience. Roughly 550 mile range with each fill up.

Last edited:

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You must not have a Hybrid YET. I've done Hybrid a 1,000 mile trip with A/C running full time in 95-105 degrees and Hybrid is about as good as any vehicle I've owned. MPG might drop mpg 1.5 miles per gallon but I doubt it.
I didn't say it impacts the mileage. I said you won't be able to run it all day on idle. Compressors eat batteries and so the ICE will have to kick on at some point.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I ordered one of each. Probably will get some heat on here but it was only a 500$ refundable deposit.
So why even ask the question? Keep the one that gets built.

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't say it impacts the mileage. I said you won't be able to run it all day on idle. Compressors eat batteries and so the ICE will have to kick on at some point.
I my case that would never be an issue...I would never be sitting in a vehicle at idle with A/C running. As mentioned I have both a Hybrid and a EcoBoost....driving Hybrid getting 42-43 MPG verses our EcoBoost at 28-29 MPG with A/C on is a no-brainer as to which to drive to save money...and A/C is set at same temperature., but A/C gas mileage is significantly effected in the EcoBoost.

Last edited:

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the days are gone of the 300,000 mile drive trains. Having said that, I think a well treated EB 2.0 and trans would more likely last longer without a large maintenance ticket like replacing the battery maybe at 150,000 miles. I have an EB 2.0 in a 2020 Escape and at 250 HP, it has been a lot of fun to drive and average is showing 26.6 mpg over the last 4,000 miles with a ~ equal mix of highway and city driving. I get a little different number than you on the savings, at $5/gal (seems a reasonable assumption as an average over the next 8-10 years) I get ~$6,500 delta. That might pay for a new battery and then some. Maybe someone can answer your question 3 and that would be the deciding factor, as you say.
$6500 won't even come close to replacing a hybrid/electric battery. A Smart car (full EV batt) is $15K to replace and more in some markets. The new MB batteries are going to be so expensive that the manufacturer is worried about them causing the car to be a total loss in the event of failure.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My commute is almost all highway and I am getting 40 mpg.
Over half of our ~4k miles is my wife's highway work commute, we're currently at 50.6mpg average and climbing. It's not hard at all to average 40+ on the highway in the hybrid if you drive the speed limit.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve read a ton of threads and there is alotnof variation. Even saying the ecoboost will “only” get 25mpg and the hybrid at 40mpg I’m calculating a 5000$ difference over 100,000 miles. All else equal I’d rather save 5k but have some questions.
1. I think my ecoboost will more likely get built and built a lot sooner.
2. 70% of my miles are 75mph on gently rolling highway basednon the threads the delta for the hybrid will be much less at these speeds
3. This vehicle will be used for a disabled person with medical conditions that requires alotnof idling and air condition use. As much as 5-10hours per week. Is there a preference between the hybrid and ecoboost for heavy idling?
4. maybe based on opinions of #3 above I may change my mind but I’m thinking of going with what will have the most longevity. I don’t trade carsin and usually run them to 175-250k. Is there a preference between the drivetrains on longevity and maintenance costs?
Given your circumstances for me it wouldn't even be a question. Eco all the way. I am of the mindset though, that the more truck things you do with the hybrid is just going to drive its risk of failure even higher. Time will tell, but I would not experiment with this. Go with known reliability.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
$6500 won't even come close to replacing a hybrid/electric battery. A Smart car (full EV batt) is $15K to replace and more in some markets. The new MB batteries are going to be so expensive that the manufacturer is worried about them causing the car to be a total loss in the event of failure.
Aren't you the same poster who was posting all kinds of nonsense about hybrids in another thread? The battery in an EV is SEVERAL times the size of the battery in the hybrid Maverick. You can replace a prius battery for ~$1100 now, I would expect that there will be options to replace the Maverick battery at a similar pricepoint by the time people start replacing them. Most hybrid batteries last well past 150k miles, so most drivers will be onto a new vehicle before they ever replace a battery. So much false fear mongering about hybrid batteries.

OP should choose what they want, and absolutely an ecoboost will be easier to get their hands on, but there is little chance the ecoboost would be the more cost-efficient option in their use case.
Sponsored