First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, as I said, if I were towing or going off-road I'd look at a completely different vehicle. If you’re going to be leaving paved road get a Ranger. If you need to do towing regularly or heavier, get a Ranger. The Ranger is being re-designed for 2022 and will use the same updated body on frame platform as the Bronco and I'll bet offer the 2.7tt v6 as well.
Good to know they are differentiating the Ranger more, but its definitely out for us. A big reason we're selling the Ram 1500 is that its just too high a step up for some of the parents/inlaws that are getting older. I have a feeling a body on frame Ranger will end up being quite a bit taller than the Maverick.

Definitely would love to be getting 40mpg on regular instead of my usual 16mpg on premium, not worrying about anyone breaking a hip jumping out of the truck, and not looking like Austin Powers in small parking garages.
Sponsored

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,
I made a reservation on June 9th a two dealers, both about 5 miles from my house. One said they'd call me back when order banks open and the other said they could place an order right away. I made an appointment, placed an order on the 12th, and received an e-mail confirmation of my order from Ford. XLT 2.0 AWD with luxery package in Carbonized Gray for ~$29,500. She was excited because this was the first Maverick order at their dealership. However, I'm torn between the 2.0 and the 2.5. My salesperson let me know that I can change the build up until Monday or Tuesday. I was hoping y'all could help me decide based on the utility I'm wanting out of this truck.

I'm not planning on towing any thing substantial, maybe a kayak trailer in the future. I work from home now, so gas milage isn't all that important to me, although it'd be nice to finally own a hybrid because I do care about the environment. Where I live in the northeast, there's usually a few pretty big ice/snow storms each year. If I went without the AWD, I could easily just stay off the roads if they were bad. I'll probably get a truck rack to load longer items and a canoe onto.

Initially I didn't consider going without the AWD, but the dealer was really pushing the hybrid (anyone know why?). The more I'm thinking about it, the more it makes sense, especially with the build price coming down to ~$26,200 and gas savings of around $500 yearly.

Does anyone have any opinions either way? Or is maybe in a similar situation? I've heard good things about both power trains, so I think I'd be happy either way, but would like some advice.

Thanks!
Thanks for asking this question...I came here to try to sort that decision for myself! I *have* a Ranger XLT FX4 for flat towing behind the motorhome and rock crawling. It also tows what I need to tow. The Maverick will replace my Fusion which I use for part running, groceries, hauling ladders, and just general hauling my butt around. The hybrid would likely suffice but I had 2 concerns:
1. The awful performance of the Fusion hybrid
2. The plethora of used hybrids on CL needing new batteries

The vids on the Escape look promising for the performance aspect. The battery would be a roll of the dice.

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Bronco Black Diamond
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for asking this question...I came here to try to sort that decision for myself! I *have* a Ranger XLT FX4 for flat towing behind the motorhome and rock crawling. It also tows what I need to tow. The Maverick will replace my Fusion which I use for part running, groceries, hauling ladders, and just general hauling my butt around. The hybrid would likely suffice but I had 2 concerns:
1. The awful performance of the Fusion hybrid
2. The plethora of used hybrids on CL needing new batteries

The vids on the Escape look promising for the performance aspect. The battery would be a roll of the dice.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...tteries-life-replacement-costs.421/#post-6492

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
@Tennessee

I made a pro/con, thanks for the suggestion. Thought I'd elaborate more on the purpose this truck will serve first.

Will be our family's second car and mostly second choice when all 4 of us are together. I make frequent trips to the transfer station with demolition/yard debris/old appliances, etc. I'm a DIYer, so frequent trips to home improvement stores for lumber and materials. We own two 12' kayaks, so we'd be either loading them up top with a truck rack or pulling behind in a trailer. I'm also planning on getting a hitch mounted bike rack. No off roading, but likely driving on some dirt/loose gravel roads to get to some off the beaten path paddling and fishing spots.

2.5 Hybrid PRO
~$3,300 cost savings right away
-Up to $500 cost savings per year * I don't put a lot of miles on my cars
-Good warranty on ECVT power train
~$10,000 less expensive than a nicely equipped '22 Frontier *based on Frontier's estimated MSRP

2.5 Hybrid CON
-Maybe underpowered for my usage *This can't be determined until we get to actually drive one
-No AWD option *Will hurt resale, being in upstate NY many buyers want this feature in an SUV/truck
-Only Ford can work on hybrid engine

2.0 Ecoboost PRO
-Should be plenty capable for my usage
-AWD will be useful for unpaved/unloved roads
-1 inch more rear legroom for child seats *not very important but it's a difference between the two options
-Still ~$7,500 less expensive than a nicely equipped '22 Frontier *based on Frontier's estimated MSRP
-Will likely be easier to sell when the time comes

2.0 Ecoboost CON
~$3,300 upfront higher cost
-Will spend approximately $500 more in fuel each year. *equates to $5,000 over 10 years
Hey Casey, if you can wait a year or so it seems likely they will have an AWD hybrid Mav.

Sponsored

flashfearless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav Lariat Hybrid,2014 Ford Edge Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I changed my order over the weekend from 2.0 turbo Lariat to 2.5 L Hybrid Lariat

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I changed my order over the weekend from 2.0 turbo Lariat to 2.5 L Hybrid Lariat
Smart move, as I was until now oblivious to the fact that the Ecoboost option uses a modified version of the craptastic GM 9T that everyone has been ripping on as one of the worst new transmissions developed, and that Ford themselves despite getting it for free in their partnership originally rejected even using it in any of their vehicles it was deemed so bad. As pointed out in the article below, it was barely better than GM's 8-speed (a notoriously bad transmission) and even worse than their aging 6-speed on the Envision: https://advancedtransmission.com/2021/01/12/the-new-ford-8f35-8-speed-transmission/

I didn't realize that Ford had modified it, taking out the fourth gear and making a few other changes to try and rescue it so they could use it in some vehicles after all. That seals the deal for me that if I'm going Maverick (still want to test drive one and see more in-depth look at it), I'm definitely going hybrid for that eCVT transmission.

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Gas will be $6 a gallon next year. I can sacrifice some performance to save a lot of coin.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Gas will be $6 a gallon next year. I can sacrifice some performance to save a lot of coin.
Maybe in California.

Its $2.43 over at Sam's club today https://www.gasbuddy.com/station/159111 and I just refilled my 32 gallon tank for $2.20, as they always give you some reward points whenever you buy groceries.
Ford Maverick Ordering experience/please help me decide 2.0 ecoboost vs 2.5 hybrid 20211207_091415

What is $2.20 adjusted for inflation in 2020 currency anyway? 50 cents?

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Sponsored

Frobozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost AWD
Just to make things even foggier, I'd point out that the 2WD Maverick is front-wheel drive, unlike the typical 2WD pickup truck. This should mean better snow traction than old-school pickups because the weight of the vehicle is over the drive wheels. We bought an Ecoboost AWD because my wife absolutely, positively has to get to work every day, and there's no AWD (yet) with the hybrid.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't get me wrong, better fuel efficiency is always a good thing. But there's no actual production problems, which is the dumb part I hope people realize!

The US is now capable of producing more oil than it uses as of November 2019, and became a net exporter back when consumption was higher than it is now. If there are supply issues, IMO they are created intentionally to drive prices up, which would raise the stock prices of alternative energy companies (Tesla, GE, Siemens, etc). $$$

Right now OPEC, OPEC+, with Russia and the United States, 23 large oil producing countries total, came to an agreement to intentionally reduce oil production about a year ago in order to increase oil prices after oil traded negative and the world quite literally ran out of room to store unused oil causing it to trade negative. Even country's strategic oil reserves, big government holding tanks meant to allow a nation to fight a war with supply issues, were all filled up to capacity and oil tankers meant to transport oil were all filled up and anchored. All they have to do if oil prices get too crazy is to remove the artificial restrictions they just imposed, including those imposed on the US by the Biden administration on domestic supply. Right now we are under a Biden moratorium on drilling permit issuances on federal lands and waters, and they killed the KEYSTONE XL pipeline from Canada to the U.S., which is why OPEC and OPEC+ said Biden's "plea" to increase their oil production was disingenuous since the US won't increase its own production. Seems like its just a power play to let things get bad so they can show who is the boss to the plebs by being the rescuer at the right moment.

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just to make things even foggier, I'd point out that the 2WD Maverick is front-wheel drive, unlike the typical 2WD pickup truck. This should mean better snow traction than old-school pickups because the weight of the vehicle is over the drive wheels. We bought an Ecoboost AWD because my wife absolutely, positively has to get to work every day, and there's no AWD (yet) with the hybrid.
Yes...I remember my delight at driving my first FWD car through its first snow.

BUT AWD, or traditional 4 wheel drive is still much better. Once you have driven with all four wheels getting power-you don't want to go back....
Sponsored