First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Aren't you the same poster who was posting all kinds of nonsense about hybrids in another thread? The battery in an EV is SEVERAL times the size of the battery in the hybrid Maverick. You can replace a prius battery for ~$1100 now, I would expect that there will be options to replace the Maverick battery at a similar pricepoint by the time people start replacing them. Most hybrid batteries last well past 150k miles, so most drivers will be onto a new vehicle before they ever replace a battery. So much false fear mongering about hybrid batteries.

OP should choose what they want, and absolutely an ecoboost will be easier to get their hands on, but there is little chance the ecoboost would be the more cost-efficient option in their use case.
No, I am not the same person posting all kinds of nonsense in another hybrid discussion. I purposely stay away from those conversations. If you say these batteries are much cheaper I believe you, I have no reason not to. But there is no fear mongering. I am in the auto repair business and have been for many many years. Cars break all the time. That is why I have a job. The more technology on any car, and the more likelihood for failure. Given this gentlemen's situation (being handicapped or carrying someone) my recommendation would be to stick with a less complicated platform. He is seeking opinions and I offered mine.
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
$6500 won't even come close to replacing a hybrid/electric battery. A Smart car (full EV batt) is $15K to replace and more in some markets. The new MB batteries are going to be so expensive that the manufacturer is worried about them causing the car to be a total loss in the event of failure.
No saying you're wrong, but. At my 5,000 oil change at an Atlanta Ford Dealer I took the time to order several parts from Service Parts Department for the Maverick Hybrid and for the fun of it asked for a price for a Maverick Hybrid battery.

Answer was $2,300 not including labor for installation; Hybrid comes with an 8-year warranty. But there are aftermarket batteries already available for about 1/2 that price.

LM42: SInce you're in the maintenance business - "Do you think local private garages/mechanics will have the diagnostic equipment / computer devices to service vehicles like the Maverick?

I had a cable connection come loose and Ford Service tech suggested that it would be almost impossible to find the collection in the wiring harness with the Diagnostic Computer device.

Last edited:

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No saying you're wrong, but. At my 5,000 oil change at an Atlanta Ford Dealer I took the time to order several parts from Service Parts Department for the Maverick Hybrid and for the fun of it asked for a price for a Maverick Hybrid battery.

Answer was $2,300 not including labor for installation; Hybrid comes with an 8-year warranty.
I am likely wrong. It is very possible that the hybrid batteries are much less expensive. But even at say $3000 with labor, that is half of the price delta for fuel over a huge number of miles and still a more complicated system.

tubalicious

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Malibu, 2023 XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am likely wrong. It is very possible that the hybrid batteries are much less expensive. But even at say $3000 with labor, that is half of the price delta for fuel over a huge number of miles and still a more complicated system.
In a way the EB engine is more complicated as the aspiration system and actual booster tends to break much quicker than the hybrids naturally aspirated engine.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In a way the EB engine is more complicated as the aspiration system and actual booster tends to break much quicker than the hybrids naturally aspirated engine.
Fair point. But I will take my chances with a turbo failure over the complications of a hybrid system. Again, just my opinion, but also based on my actual experience with cars as my job.

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So much false fear mongering about hybrid.
Same here - about mpg. If you leave the display in Hybrid Coach Mode - I've gotten 55 mpg multiple times....but average around 44 mpg. Did a 700 mile trip across the Blue Ridge Parkway mountains and got 53-55 mpg...Hybrid shines in hilly terrain.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the OP should seriously consider an economy BEV like the GM EUV. At $26,000 before rebates (not sure if it's eligible under the new rules come Jan), it's dirt cheap. And no gas. And BEVs are ideal for idling scenarios. If you can wait, the BEV Equinox might be even better, if it's actually delivered at $30,000 and is eligible for the $7,500 rebate.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I am not the same person posting all kinds of nonsense in another hybrid discussion. I purposely stay away from those conversations. If you say these batteries are much cheaper I believe you, I have no reason not to. But there is no fear mongering. I am in the auto repair business and have been for many many years. Cars break all the time. That is why I have a job. The more technology on any car, and the more likelihood for failure. Given this gentlemen's situation (being handicapped or carrying someone) my recommendation would be to stick with a less complicated platform. He is seeking opinions and I offered mine.
You are in the auto repair business and don't know the difference between an EV and a hybrid? While I don't disagree about technology often just being something else to break, the powerplant in the hybrid was introduced by Ford a year before the 2.0 ecoboost - it is hardly unproven. The ECVT is also much less complex than the auto. Check the data, in general hybrids tend to be have similar reliability to conventional ICE cars and overall lower maintenance costs (because of lower stress on the ICE, regen breaking, etc.)

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fair point. But I will take my chances with a turbo failure over the complications of a hybrid system. Again, just my opinion, but also based on my actual experience with cars as my job.
FYI - The ICE engine in the Hybrid is called the Atkins engine and was designed in the 1950's and has a long time reputation within Ford...extremely simple old design. The electric motor part of the Hybrid is extremely reliable due to the few number of moving parts...there is a video on this site showing the actual Hybrid Electric in motion and how the ICE and Electric Motor are connected into one drive shaft. The Maverick Hybrid is the same engine used in the Ford Escape for at least 9 yrs.

Still think Volvo is on the right idea. They just released their Plug-in Hybrid. All electric and ICE motor to recharge the EV battery when it is exhausted.

Last edited:

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are in the auto repair business and don't know the difference between an EV and a hybrid? While I don't disagree about technology often just being something else to break, the powerplant in the hybrid was introduced by Ford a year before the 2.0 ecoboost - it is hardly unproven. The ECVT is also much less complex than the auto. Check the data, in general hybrids tend to be have similar reliability to conventional ICE cars and overall lower maintenance costs (because of lower stress on the ICE, regen breaking, etc.)
Of course I know the difference. My brand does not have any hybrid models, and when I was with Ford/Lincoln for 8 years I do not recall how many and at what cost a hybrid battery was at customer pay money. (warranty dollars aren't totally relevant) But, I can tell you that I had more hybrid issues than turbo failures. That said, the ECO is not without problems, and in a thread about extended warranties I mentioned this in good detail. I am merely offering an opinion based on experience and personal preference. If you are a massive hybrid fanboy, then great. I am not telling you or the OP not to get one. Let it go man. He asked for opinions and I offered one. I have also conceded the price of the hybrid battery. If you want to just argue, find someone else.

Sponsored

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FYI - The ICE engine in the Hybrid is called the Atkins engine and was designed in the 1950's and has a long time reputation within Ford...extremely simple old design. The electric motor part of the Hybrid is extremely reliable due to the few number of moving parts...there is a video on this site showing the actual Hybrid Electric in motion and how the ICE and Electric Motor are connected into one drive shaft.
You guys are hybrid fans and that is great. I know what kind of engine it has, and its history. My resume is longer and more qualified than I will ever post here. *I* do not like the added electronic complication of a hybrid system. I KNOW they can be very good. They can also have complicated failures. I am not remotely concerned about the ICE portion of a hybrid. I am only talking about the hybrid. Again, just offering an opinion. Yours may be different and that is ok.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You guys are hybrid fans and that is great. I know what kind of engine it has, and its history. My resume is longer and more qualified than I will ever post here. *I* do not like the added electronic complication of a hybrid system. I KNOW they can be very good. They can also have complicated failures. I am not remotely concerned about the ICE portion of a hybrid. I am only talking about the hybrid. Again, just offering an opinion. Yours may be different and that is ok.
You're obviously much more knowledgeable on the mechanical side...and hybrid and EV is a new era for all of us....but with the cost of petro and our environmental decline the world's having to change.

Last edited:

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You're obviously much more knowledge on the mechanical side...and it's a new era for all of us....but with the cost of petro and our environmental decline the world's having to change.
I do not disagree. Hybrids are great options for people. For me personally a lot needs to change before I would consider one. But to many, it is the perfect option.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You're obviously much more knowledge on the mechanical side...and it's a new era for all of us....but with the cost of petro and our environmental decline the world's having to change.
You really should talk to china and india about that because US emissions have been declining for decades while theirs are growing exponentially.

OP
OP

Boomerang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid base on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So you guys think the extended idling issue is a wash between the two drivetrains? I gather from the responses the ice on the hybrid would have to kick in and off to run the ac parked and the ecoboost obviously would have the engine on the whole time. I’ve never had a turbo or hybrid. I know idling is hard on engines but due to the disability we are dealing with it is unavoidable. I’m thinking (just common sense no data) that the turbo would like idling less than the hybrid which is made to start stop anyway running like 5 min on and 5 min off. Might end up being a moot point if it looks like the hybrid won’t get built. We currently are using a 2016 focus that has 175k miles and about 10hrs a week idle time for the last 6 years. It’s getting tired.
Sponsored