A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a Ranger right now and thought about switching and getting another one. Then I seen the price šŸ˜³ my Maverick XLT well equipped is $29,775 and a similar equipped Ranger is around $10,000 more. So I will stick with the Maverick.

Ford Maverick Ranger argument is getting old Screenshot_20210906-130629~2
Sponsored

FLAirGunner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing yet!
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Ranger isn't really an option for me. We need a vehicle that can be flat towed behind an RV, the Hybrid Maverick can do that, in any trim level. In order to flat tow a Ranger, we'd need a 4X4 with the selectable transfer case that has a neutral setting. That adds a lot of weight to the vehicle, kills gas mileage, and jacks the price well past that of a very nicely equipped Maverick!

fourwheelsandadream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I don't tow and the longest thing I put in my car is a hockey stick. It'll fit diagonally in bed. I'll save on gas and on price. Maybe someday I'll get an electric truck but I'm tired of getting 21 miles a gallon on my car

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My Buddy (who has a Ranger) : Dude, you should have got a ranger.
Me: I don't want a Ranger
Buddy: Yeah but you can tow more
Me: I don't need to tow more
Buddy: Yeah but it's nice to be able to.
Me: So why didn't you buy an F150 then?
Buddy: I don't really need a truck that big and they are bad on gas and more expensive.
Me: Exactamundo!
Buddy: Asshole.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With the hybrid it's pretty much a no brainer. Although for the Ecoboost AWD folks there is a compelling argument for the Ranger. If you're looking at a Maverick Lariat AWD then you're also in the price range of some lightly used (<10k miles) Ranger XLTs or Lariats that can have more capability and the same bells and whistles for not much more. The Maverick in AWD is a better deal in XLT trim, in my opinion.
Not really. I'm in the ECO AWD category and starting with base XL, then adding ECO/AWD + 4k Tow pack, full size spare, all weather floor mats, and spray in bedliner (I won't be ordering for a few months so no biggie). Mine comes in at $26325. THAT is right near the starting point for a stripped Ranger 2WD. I don't like the height, looks or ride quality in current Ranger- so Maverick it is!

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't need or want "more" truck. If I could find a vehicle that I could use like a car 90% of the time, get decent efficiency, and then sometimes haul stuff in it, that is what I would be buying.

Oh, yeah, that is the Maverick ...

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just sold a 20 Ranger XLT and it was a very good truck. I ordered a Maverick for the reasons most of you did but my big concern is towing since I will be on the upper limit. If it doesn't work out after I get the Maverick I will flog it and buy another new Ranger after they update the body style. Rumor has it they are coming out with a regular cab which I would love. Like any other Ford pickup right now there are not many at dealers and thats one reason I sold mine for 3k more than I paid for it 8 months ago. If you go to the Ford website you will see current Rangers are not stupid money if you don't get crazy with options. Yes obviously more the a Maverick but you can get a reasonably well appointed one for the mid 30's. Which brings me to the next question: Will Maverick come out with a STX package like the Ranger and F150?

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are right - it is attracting all kinds of buyers. I have been driving a VW Tiguan AWD 2.0 Turbo. It's a great vehicle but the Maverick is about 12" longer with a small bed. They are very similar in size but the Maverick is much more capable. I was immediately into the Hybrid.
I saw a new Honda Ridgeline the other day and it look terrible with the flat back window. I can imagine other manufacturers are scrambling to come up with a copycat. It kind of reminds me of the Mustang. It started a revolution of "Pony" Cars. Good to know we are on the front end of the "Pony Truck" revolution!
We weren't even in the market for another car, wife and I share a single car (VW jetta - I work primarily from home and live ~1/3 miles from my office) which totally meets the needs of our family of 4. If anything, we were planning on getting another compact/mid-size sedan in the next 3-4 years. With it's size, fuel efficiency, and price point, the Maverick made us consider something totally different, and now. We do a ton of hiking, camping, mountain biking, and snowshoeing as a family and the jetta has met those needs fine, but the Maverick should be an upgrade with a little more ground clearance and room to haul our stuff.

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am replacing my daily hatchback with the Maverick (Hybrid) - I'm not trying to replace my truck (I'm keeping my 1st Gen Tundra). Though the maverick will do some light duty truck stuff too; that's just a bonus.

We all have reasons for moving forward with the Maverick but I don't feel like many of us, if any, are settling. And settling is where the chatter comes in about the Ranger or any other more capable truck...

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Time for my rant, I see others doing it so itā€™s my turn! Hahahaha. Nothing serious though.

I keep seeing, and hearing from some of my idiot friends, the whole ā€œGet a Ranger, spend $5k more, get more towing, get it sooner, etc.ā€

Sorry, but no! Thereā€™s a reason so many of us are getting a Mav; size, style, mpg, price.

Most of us:
  1. Donā€™t need more towing, if any
  2. Donā€™t plan on serious off-roading
  3. Love the small city size fit and feel
  4. Glad thereā€™s a small F-series style truck (Ranger sticks out like a sore thumb in the lineup)
  5. Maybe upper 30ā€™s mpg average, heck maybe 40 if city only
  6. Well optioned for under $30k
You stated my feeling exactly!! When I was looking to replace my '04 Ranger I just couldn't justify a new Ranger or Colorado for the same reasons you stated. I had really given up on a new truck and was looking at newer used truck and then...Maverick!! :) Ford heard my pleas for a small usable truck!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just sold a 20 Ranger XLT and it was a very good truck. I ordered a Maverick for the reasons most of you did but my big concern is towing since I will be on the upper limit. If it doesn't work out after I get the Maverick I will flog it and buy another new Ranger after they update the body style. Rumor has it they are coming out with a regular cab which I would love. Like any other Ford pickup right now there are not many at dealers and thats one reason I sold mine for 3k more than I paid for it 8 months ago. If you go to the Ford website you will see current Rangers are not stupid money if you don't get crazy with options. Yes obviously more the a Maverick but you can get a reasonably well appointed one for the mid 30's. Which brings me to the next question: Will Maverick come out with a STX package like the Ranger and F150?
What a world we live in! 8 months old and your Ranger appreciated 3k. Thats awesome!

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not really. I'm in the ECO AWD category and starting with base XL, then adding ECO/AWD + 4k Tow pack, full size spare, all weather floor mats, and spray in bedliner (I won't be ordering for a few months so no biggie). Mine comes in at $26325. THAT is right near the starting point for a stripped Ranger 2WD. I don't like the height, looks or ride quality in current Ranger- so Maverick it is!
Again, I'm talking specifically something like a Maverick Lariat Lux AWD with tow and/or FX4. You start to get into comparable used Rangers in that $35-38k bracket. One could drop the Lux package and save $3300, but I don't feel the base Lariat offers that much over the XLT which in AWD would be $28-31.5k and much more comfortably in the Maverick's favor. In short I just think the Ecoboost Lariat is too pricey where it'd be worth getting more truck for that money, but that's my opinion.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why I went with Maverick over Ranger:
  1. Ranger looks dated compared to other Mid Size trucks, and now even more so. Maverick looks fresh and better
  2. The increase in mileage matters to me
  3. Maverick has similar size cab, and in some interior dimensions larger.
  4. I hate the dashboard/door styling of the Ranger. It's boring and outdated. Looks like 2013. Although I am no fan of the Lariat brown seats, but I'd rather have that than the boring Ranger dash. The inset infotainment screen looks like it belong in a 2008 Volvo.
  5. I feel I can live with the shorter bed. Tight Seattle parking is more often an issue for me than having a shorter cargo bed.
  6. Maverick is quirky, Ranger is boring. Maybe if we had the Raptor Ranger I could be swayed?
  7. VALUE. Get way more for the money on Maverick than Ranger.
  8. Lane Centering is available on Maverick.
  9. Love the seating height. Tired of climbing into my trucks. Maverick seems to be a perfect seating elevation.

Last edited:

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And comparable Rangers aren't $5000 more, they are $10000 more, at least where I am at.
This is what I discovered too. Just for fun I priced comparably equipped models of Maverick/Ranger/F-150 and they were each about exactly $10K more each above the other.

Last edited:

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Time for my rant, I see others doing it so itā€™s my turn! Hahahaha. Nothing serious though.

I keep seeing, and hearing from some of my idiot friends, the whole ā€œGet a Ranger, spend $5k more, get more towing, get it sooner, etc.ā€

Sorry, but no! Thereā€™s a reason so many of us are getting a Mav; size, style, mpg, price.

Most of us:
  1. Donā€™t need more towing, if any
  2. Donā€™t plan on serious off-roading
  3. Love the small city size fit and feel
  4. Glad thereā€™s a small F-series style truck (Ranger sticks out like a sore thumb in the lineup)
  5. Maybe upper 30ā€™s mpg average, heck maybe 40 if city only
  6. Well optioned for under $30k
Rant all you want. Some eople on here have said time and time again that they want to town a 3-4k pound camper over and over or they want something now. To those people, everyone with common sense will say GET A RANGER OR EQUIVALENT TRUCK! If those things you can do without then the mav is perfect.
Sponsored