First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rant all you want. Some eople on here have said time and time again that they want to town a 3-4k pound camper over and over or they want something now. To those people, everyone with common sense will say GET A RANGER OR EQUIVALENT TRUCK! If those things you can do without then the mav is perfect.
Very true. It is amusing to see people posting a 2,000 empty weight trailer and ask if the Hybrid could tow it. Hahahahaha
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick is creating a subsegment that is going to explode. This isn't a choice (for most buyers IMHO) between a Ranger and a Maverick.
It's a choice between a Civic, Corolla, Patriot or other cars . Watch for
the competition from Toyota/GM/Chrysler whoever to be launched pretty quickly.
Exactly this. And have you seen the ads for vehicles in this price range? 8 inch screen and android auto and apple carplay are the features they push at that price point. Maverick has both, costs potentially less, is also a hybrid if you want, oh and it is probably cheaper too! Also, seats the same number of people with the utility of a truck. As soon as these hit the road there will be an increasingly long waiting list.

Sevesteen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat Lux, 18 Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't need a mid size or bigger truck, I need a sedan that will haul a couple of bicycles or a few sheets of drywall in the trunk. I'd rather a Maverick even if there wasn't a price difference.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

1. Ranger is dated.

2. Ranger is more expensive.

3. Ranger has a worse driving feel (unibody vs body on frame)

4. Ranger is about 10" longer, I believe

I'm coming from a sedan, so I didn't want a big/midsize truck.

russross

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I checked my local Ford dealer's website for Rangers. They have a couple in stock at grossly-inflated prices. A typical example is an XLT with a sticker price of $42k, but they are listing it as having an MSRP of $56k. I only saw the original MSRP when I pulled up the window sticker. No indication of how the MSRP magically went up $14k, but I'm sure they put new wheels and floor mats plus some nitrogen for the tires or something like that. Seems really misleading to call that MSRP.

So yeah, I could step up to a mid-spec ranger at only double the price of my Maverick. I'd get much worse gas milage (I'm getting the hybrid--it's not even close), a truck that many reviewers say makes you seasick to drive, a more cramped back seat for my kids, and an ugly profile (subjective, I know, but Rangers all look weirdly tall and pinched when I see them on the road). Pass.

edit: I just checked to confirm. My local dealer lists 6 rangers in stock and the cheapest has an "MSRP" of $55.5k.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A typical example is an XLT with a sticker price of $42k, but they are listing it as having an MSRP of $56k.
Can you post a link or the name/location of the dealer? I'd like to see how they are manipulating the MSRP. Always helps to know a little more about this stuff.

OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. Ranger is dated.

2. Ranger is more expensive.

3. Ranger has a worse driving feel (unibody vs body on frame)

4. Ranger is about 10" longer, I believe

I'm coming from a sedan, so I didn't want a big/midsize truck.
The Ranger is terribly dated. When the refresh happens for 2023 I’d like to see them make it more like the F-Series look. I just really like that look. That’s one of the main reasons I went Mav. Still think they should have called it the F-50 or F-100.

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Time for my rant, I see others doing it so it’s my turn! Hahahaha. Nothing serious though.

I keep seeing, and hearing from some of my idiot friends, the whole “Get a Ranger, spend $5k more, get more towing, get it sooner, etc.”

Sorry, but no! There’s a reason so many of us are getting a Mav; size, style, mpg, price.

Most of us:
  1. Don’t need more towing, if any
  2. Don’t plan on serious off-roading
  3. Love the small city size fit and feel
  4. Glad there’s a small F-series style truck (Ranger sticks out like a sore thumb in the lineup)
  5. Maybe upper 30’s mpg average, heck maybe 40 if city only
  6. Well optioned for under $30k
It's the same thing with smartphones. They keep getting bigger and bigger. I long for a flagship phone with a 4-5 inch screen. These days if you want a phone with all the bells and whistles, you have to accept the huge screen it comes with. Closest thing to a compact high end phone is the iphone12 mini and samsung galaxy s21, which is what i ended up getting. It barely fits in my back pocket.

So yeah, the maverick is just the right size for me and my needs.

OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's the same thing with smartphones. They keep getting bigger and bigger. I long for a flagship phone with a 4-5 inch screen. These days if you want a phone with all the bells and whistles, you have to accept the huge screen it comes with. Closest thing to a compact high end phone is the iphone12 mini and samsung galaxy s21, which is what i ended up getting. It barely fits in my back pocket.

So yeah, the maverick is just the right size for me and my needs.
That’s a good analogy. To me nothing beats the iPhone 5. I rocked that bad boy until 2020 when work finally bought me a new phone.

I don’t even want/need all the bells and whistles. Love how the Mav gave some niceties without going all in. I also don’t understand the new infotainment screens these days. The new Lightning has something like a 22” screen. Why? Why!?!

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also don’t understand the new infotainment screens these days. The new Lightning has something like a 22” screen. Why? Why!?!
Because the 500 lb gorilla in the EV marketplace is Tesla so if you want your premium EV to be taken seriously you need to have a huge screen, a frunk, 250+ miles range, provisions for automated driving, and ridiculous power output.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Lightly used with less than 10k miles and still reasonably priced. Hahahahahaha. You sir need to do standup
Son, you need to get out of TX. There are plenty of used Rangers out there right now (well, maybe not in TX) the market on the ranger is very light compared to the F-150.

OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because the 500 lb gorilla in the EV marketplace is Tesla so if you want your premium EV to be taken seriously you need to have a huge screen, a frunk, 250+ miles range, provisions for automated driving, and ridiculous power output.
That’s true. Those darn ugly Teslas. I thought the Tesla Truck was an April Fools joke, nope, just that ugly.

OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Son, you need to get out of TX. There are plenty of used Rangers out there right now (well, maybe not in TX) the market on the ranger is very light compared to the F-150.
I can understand that, this state sure does love it some pickups.

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s true. Those darn ugly Teslas. I thought the Tesla Truck was an April Fools joke, nope, just that ugly.
You have to be a fanboy to like the cyber truck. When I first saw it, I thought they pulled it from the movie set of Terminator 2: Judgment Day. I can easily picture a half Arnold Swarzenegger half cyborg face with red eyes driving it.

russross

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid