First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Time for my rant, I see others doing it so it’s my turn! Hahahaha. Nothing serious though.

I keep seeing, and hearing from some of my idiot friends, the whole “Get a Ranger, spend $5k more, get more towing, get it sooner, etc.”

Sorry, but no! There’s a reason so many of us are getting a Mav; size, style, mpg, price.

Most of us:
  1. Don’t need more towing, if any
  2. Don’t plan on serious off-roading
  3. Love the small city size fit and feel
  4. Glad there’s a small F-series style truck (Ranger sticks out like a sore thumb in the lineup)
  5. Maybe upper 30’s mpg average, heck maybe 40 if city only
  6. Well optioned for under $30k
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the hybrid it's pretty much a no brainer. Although for the Ecoboost AWD folks there is a compelling argument for the Ranger. If you're looking at a Maverick Lariat AWD then you're also in the price range of some lightly used (<10k miles) Ranger XLTs or Lariats that can have more capability and the same bells and whistles for not much more. The Maverick in AWD is a better deal in XLT trim, in my opinion.

OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the hybrid it's pretty much a no brainer. Although for the Ecoboost AWD folks there is a compelling argument for the Ranger. If you're looking at a Maverick Lariat AWD then you're also in the price range of some lightly used (<10k miles) Ranger XLTs or Lariats that can have more capability and the same bells and whistles for not much more. The Maverick in AWD is a better deal in XLT trim, in my opinion.
Lightly used with less than 10k miles and still reasonably priced. Hahahahahaha. You sir need to do standup

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Maverick is creating a subsegment that is going to explode. This isn't a choice (for most buyers IMHO) between a Ranger and a Maverick.
It's a choice between a Civic, Corolla, Patriot or other cars . Watch for the competition from Toyota/GM/Chrysler whoever to be launched pretty quickly.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with the OP on this. I've seen lots of posts about getting a bigger vehicle with more power, more this or that, with only slightly worse mileage and a slightly higher price. The assumption is that "a bigger vehicle with more power, etc." is a good thing that everyone should want, outweighing the mileage and price losses.

I remember when every model year trumpeted models that were longer, lower, wider, had a bigger engine... and it seemed that's what everyone wanted. But it's not like that anymore. Plenty of people, me included, want something that is big enough for our purposes and view anything bigger as a negative. So these arguments hit my ears as "Hey, you can get something that is less like what you want and pay more money for it -- and spend more on gas to boot!"

Other people hear them differently, and that's fine. My point is that the desire for bigger vehicles is not universal.

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
My decision to purchase a Maverick was because I could not find an affordable Ranger Supercrew XLT 4x4 at my max price ($35K new). Considered the new FRONTIER, but they are now $40K trucks. Reality won me over because I am not towing or doing any serious off roading, and decided the MAVERICK was the better fit. Got everything I wanted for $30k vs the $40K Ranger or Frontier.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I like Nimble that can easily park in compact spots....Get in and out of tight parking lots.... and see the world instead of the world see's you...
If I needed a monster truck I'd buy one....If I wanted to help everyone move I'd buy a big truck..., If I wasn't so cheap I'd buy a big truck...But I care about MPG and ease of use :)

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is creating a subsegment that is going to explode. This isn't a choice (for most buyers IMHO) between a Ranger and a Maverick.
It's a choice between a Civic, Corolla, Patriot or other cars . Watch for the competition from Toyota/GM/Chrysler whoever to be launched pretty quickly.
You are right - it is attracting all kinds of buyers. I have been driving a VW Tiguan AWD 2.0 Turbo. It's a great vehicle but the Maverick is about 12" longer with a small bed. They are very similar in size but the Maverick is much more capable. I was immediately into the Hybrid.
I saw a new Honda Ridgeline the other day and it look terrible with the flat back window. I can imagine other manufacturers are scrambling to come up with a copycat. It kind of reminds me of the Mustang. It started a revolution of "Pony" Cars. Good to know we are on the front end of the "Pony Truck" revolution!

OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with the OP on this. I've seen lots of posts about getting a bigger vehicle with more power, more this or that, with only slightly worse mileage and a slightly higher price. The assumption is that "a bigger vehicle with more power, etc." is a good thing that everyone should want, outweighing the mileage and price losses.

I remember when every model year trumpeted models that were longer, lower, wider, had a bigger engine... and it seemed that's what everyone wanted. But it's not like that anymore. Plenty of people, me included, want something that is big enough for our purposes and view anything bigger as a negative. So these arguments hit my ears as "Hey, you can get something that is less like what you want and pay more money for it -- and spend more on gas to boot!"

Other people hear them differently, and that's fine. My point is that the desire for bigger vehicles is not universal.
This exactly!

Guys at my office all drive F-150’s. They are crazy big these days and rarely used for their true truck purpose.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like Nimble that can easily park in compact spots....Get in and out of tight parking lots.... and see the world instead of the world see's you...
If I needed a monster truck I'd buy one....If I wanted to help everyone move I'd buy a big truck..., If I wasn't so cheap I'd buy a big truck...But I care about MPG and ease of use :)
Right there with you. If I needed a big truck I’d buy one. But the Mav presented itself at the right time. I am the guy in the Ford promo videos; using the bed for flowers and mulch. Hahaha.

And now I can get that all done and not pay upwards of $40-$50k for base only.

OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep. I’m coming out of an A4 Audi. Those who never thought they’d get a truck will be flocking to the Mav. I figured I’d step up to a mid-size SUV for some utility but here we are. Love it.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I love the Rangers and was planning on getting one prior to the Maverick announcement. But right now, in this market, good luck purchasing Ranger at MSRP. A local dealer around me is selling 2021 Ranger XL Supercab 4WD for $35K+. That's more than my fully optioned Ecoboost AWD Lariat from Chapman Ford.

I pulled the trigger on the Maverick because I wanted a car with truck like capability. I also have a 3 year old and a 10 month old and the Maverick has more interior room than most midsize trucks.

The payload capacity for my needs as a homeowner is enough and again, more than most midsize trucks.

If I was building an off-road vehicle or absolutely needed to tow more, I would get a Ranger. However, as a vehicle I'll be commuting in, having car seats in 100% of the time, and using for Home Depot runs, it's more than enough.

Plus, I plan on slightly lowering the Maverick, throwing on some sticky summer tires, and having some late night getaways whilst listening to eurobeat 🤷‍♂️

Ford Maverick Ranger argument is getting old Screenshot_20210906-134121

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Actually saw a 2019 Ranger with 11k on it, the dealer had a link to the original window sticker, they are selling it for $2500 more than it cost new. No, the Ranger is not an option at $10 to 12 thousand more with less options and lower mpg, at least not for me and my needs.

mikedege

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me, I need a vehicle with a bed so I can put my plants, etc(manure too) in the bed. To add the hybrid is a big plus! To top it off, the Maverick is a much better looking truck than the Ranger inside and out. My opinion of coarse. (y)

Mike
Sponsored