Sponsored

What is the benefit of rear sliding window?

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably worth mentioning for those unfamiliar with these rear PU sliders, the air flow actually comes *in* through that rear slider if the other door windows are properly adjusted, making for very pleasant air flow through the cabin, vs. gusty wind coming in from the sides. If you're not a windows-down type person, then it won't be of much use, other than a pass-through for various situations.

I am a windows-open guy in all but the coldest or muggiest conditions, so a PU without a slider is no bueno for me. My pooch also enjoys the view, and the convenience of that pass-through is also handy at times.

I wouldn't trust anyone who didn't want a slider in their PU.... 'jus sayin'......:p
I remember sometime in the past there was a concern with open rear windows pulling exhaust gases into the cab. Probably not pickups, but could this be a problem on the Maverick?
Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like those rear windows are so small they wouldn't be useful for anything. But even if they were bigger why do people want them? I do remember as a kid riding in the back of pick ups and being able to talk to passengers up front. But not too many people do that nowadays.

It's the one option I added that I want to pull from my order. Convince me otherwise :D
The SEARCH feature on this Forum is very useful.

I just entered "sliding" in it and searched "title" only and found these helpful threads that have already answered your questions in great detail:

Should You Get the Rear Sliding Window ?

Sliding rear window. Did you order it for your Maverick? Is it useful?

Manual Rear Sliding Glass worth it?

Thoughts on the rear sliding window.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I remember sometime in the past there was a concern with open rear windows pulling exhaust gases into the cab. Probably not pickups, but could this be a problem on the Maverick?
Yeah, some SUV's and station wagons where the rear window/hatch is much larger, and much closer to the exhaust outlet, it can be an issue.

With PU's in general, the size of the slider, and the location so far away from the exhaust, it's not an issue.

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fully loaded Maverick Lariat, Harley Fat Bob
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I intend on using mine to throw out illegal contraband while in high speed pursuits with the law.

Sponsored

ThrowbacK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corolla SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
By using an extension cord I can use the 110V/400W Cab Outlet in the Bed.

The Bed 110V/400W Outlet is only available in the LUX package.

Manual Rear Sliding Window for $155 + $150 for the 110V/400W Cab Outlet vs $2345 for the LUX package.
That’s a great idea

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish my window wasn't manual, but I didn't want to go up a trim to get the power window. I didn't think I would use it much, but its there if I did need it, so I guess that's the benefit.

IPunchCholla

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 E150, 2014 Leaf
I intend on using mine to throw out illegal contraband while in high speed pursuits with the law.
Sounds like an episode of cops, where when they get you stopped, all the drugs are in the bed of the pickup.

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fully loaded Maverick Lariat, Harley Fat Bob
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like an episode of cops, where when they get you stopped, all the drugs are in the bed of the pickup.
You gotta leave the tailgate down. Duh.

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in New Mexico. It's a lot easier to hit the bed with an empty beer can through the back slider than it is left-handed through the driver's window - especially in a crew-cab. ('Course if you miss it ends up in the back seat.)

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
The uses are unlimited.

Burrito passthrough, cat door, glory uhm whatever you get the idea.

I have one on my Ram, pretty useless. Regarding ventilation, probably would reduce buffeting if you didn't have rear windows, but I don't really notice a difference opening the rear windows a bit compared to the back port. At least on my Ram the switch is also overhead instead of by the windows which would be way more useful, since opening all the windows and rear port when really hot is about the only time that I use it.
Dang Jessica, I wanted to say that. :) I've had the sliding rear window on most all of my trucks, and the times I've used them can be tallied on one hand. But, I still ordered my Ranger with one. Go figure. I just knew if I didn't get the sliding rear window I would need it soon after I got the truck home from the dealer. lol

The only time I've used them is if I buy a length of wood that hangs too far out the back of the truck bed.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have found that there is a low pressure zone right behind the rear window. If it is open, it will suck dust into the interior.

I only open it if the fronts are also open and I am moving.

Back in the 50's-60's, full size Mercs had a power roll down rear window. Cool as hell.

1963 Mercury Monterey Breezeway Window - YouTube

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The uses are unlimited.

Burrito passthrough, cat door, glory uhm whatever you get the idea.

I have one on my Ram, pretty useless. Regarding ventilation, probably would reduce buffeting if you didn't have rear windows, but I don't really notice a difference opening the rear windows a bit compared to the back port. At least on my Ram the switch is also overhead instead of by the windows which would be way more useful, since opening all the windows and rear port when really hot is about the only time that I use it.
Burrito/taco pass through and ventilation are what I'm going to use my sliding rear window for! 🤣 🌮🌯😋

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish my window wasn't manual, but I didn't want to go up a trim to get the power window. I didn't think I would use it much, but its there if I did need it, so I guess that's the benefit.
One of the things I'm going to look for in the local junk yard is for any Lariat model to see if it's possible to remove the power slide window motor with the wiring and retro fit into my XLT (once I have it!) This isn't a big thing I'm planning on, but if the opportunity presents itself I'm going to try!