Sponsored

What is the benefit of rear sliding window?

scottrrr

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
It seems like those rear windows are so small they wouldn't be useful for anything. But even if they were bigger why do people want them? I do remember as a kid riding in the back of pick ups and being able to talk to passengers up front. But not too many people do that nowadays.

It's the one option I added that I want to pull from my order. Convince me otherwise :D
Sponsored

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like those rear windows are so small they wouldn't be useful for anything. But even if they were bigger why do people want them? I do remember as a kid riding in the back of pick ups and being able to talk to passengers up front. But not too many people do that nowadays.

It's the one option I added that I want to pull from my order. Convince me otherwise :D
Air flow. Crack the front windows (or open sunroof if equipped) and you get smooth full air flow through the cabin.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The uses are unlimited.

Burrito passthrough, cat door, glory uhm whatever you get the idea.

I have one on my Ram, pretty useless. Regarding ventilation, probably would reduce buffeting if you didn't have rear windows, but I don't really notice a difference opening the rear windows a bit compared to the back port. At least on my Ram the switch is also overhead instead of by the windows which would be way more useful, since opening all the windows and rear port when really hot is about the only time that I use it.

bcording

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariat Hybrid
The uses are unlimited.

Burrito passthrough, cat door, glory uhm whatever you get the idea.

I have one on my Ram, pretty useless. Regarding ventilation, probably would reduce buffeting if you didn't have rear windows, but I don't really notice a difference opening the rear windows a bit compared to the back port. At least on my Ram the switch is also overhead instead of by the windows which would be way more useful, since opening all the windows and rear port when really hot is about the only time that I use it.
Its the needed air flow right before my burrito passes through

Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
For the passengers to reach in the back and grab a beer out of the cooler for the driver on long road trips... duh.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm more worried that it would cause potential issues rather than being useful.

It could be a source of cabin noise due to having two parts instead of one solid one.
Mechanism breaking down due to moisture getting in or the constant open and close.
And there's the security issue as well. I'll let you be creative with what could possibly go wrong

marpolsdofer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L, 96 Geo Prizm 1.8L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did not put on one I don't see much use in it. First unless you have the lariat you have to open it mechanical. If the window was bigger it might be useful. Like said above it can create noise and allow water in. My standard cab truck has one it's annoying.
Sunroofs never used them in every vehicle I have had. The ones I had and my friends all leaked.
400 watt inverter can be useful but I need more power then that.

Last edited:

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see it as useless, it's small & a future spot for a leak, manual one can't be operated by the driver. You can get great air flow by lowering each rear window about 1 inch. I am usually driving with the A/C, vent or heater on, the roar of an open window annoys me.

Bob Gardner

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek, 1962 Ford Ranchero
So the dogs can stick their noses outside.
+1 - I ordered the silding rear window so that my dog could sit on the back seat (folded down, if the seat folds down), look out the back, and enjoy the wind. Air flow is a nice plus on days when it's not too hot or cold.

Also, I'm a do-it-yourselfer and may occasionally haul long pieces of lumber or pipe by allowing them to protrude into the cab.

Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
+1 - I ordered the silding rear window so that my dog could sit on the back seat (folded down, if the seat folds down), look out the back, and enjoy the wind.
There is a picture floating around on another thread of the rear seat folded. It does not fold flat and all the exposed wiring is out behind the seat. Plus I don't think there is any solid backing on the seat backs, just loose fabric. You would probably have to DIY a solid back for the seats and then a cover for all the wiring. Even then, it still doesn't fold flat... Missed opportunity by Ford for additional functionality to the rear seat.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I personally see no use for it. Now if the full rear window was powered and went all the way down that would be awesome!

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
By using an extension cord I can use the 110V/400W Cab Outlet in the Bed.

The Bed 110V/400W Outlet is only available in the LUX package.

Manual Rear Sliding Window for $155 + $150 for the 110V/400W Cab Outlet vs $2345 for the LUX package.
Sponsored