Sponsored

What is the benefit of rear sliding window?

fivehoyts

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul !/Chevy Trailblazer/Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw a truck (not a Maverick) yesterday with a couple 2x4 boards through the window because they did not fit in the bed. Seemed to work.
Sponsored

pgstick02

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1973 Super Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered mine with both the sunroof and the rear window. I figure it mite prevent that buffeting noise you get and prompt better airflow. Even though it gets humid where I live I prefer airflow vs air conditioning. Unless it is stupid humid and hot I normally am a windows down and open kind of person.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me I would only go with a power sliding rear window. If you have the manual sliding window and you're the only one in the truck you have to actually get out to open and close it especially if it starts raining.

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Slightly related topic.... I noticed that even the new F150s have the same smallish rear window. What happened to the full-height rear windows? I can't imagine the smaller cutout surrounded by glass is cheaper than the old 3 piece sliders?

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
+1 - I ordered the silding rear window so that my dog could sit on the back seat (folded down, if the seat folds down), look out the back, and enjoy the wind. Air flow is a nice plus on days when it's not too hot or cold.

Also, I'm a do-it-yourselfer and may occasionally haul long pieces of lumber or pipe by allowing them to protrude into the cab.
I got a dog hammock and it works great for my hound... he likes it so far. But he's only made one ride to the hog pin and back... and didn't open the window.

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I'm more worried that it would cause potential issues rather than being useful.

It could be a source of cabin noise due to having two parts instead of one solid one.
Mechanism breaking down due to moisture getting in or the constant open and close.
And there's the security issue as well. I'll let you be creative with what could possibly go wrong
I've had OEM sliders in every pickup. Yes, they all leaked and rattled. On my '01 F-150, I ended up getting it replaced with a solid rear window when the frame on the slider cracked.

Now if the full rear window was powered and went all the way down that would be awesome!
That's one of my favorite features of the Toyota 4Runner and Tundra CrewMax!

Manual Rear Sliding Window for $155 + $150 for the 110V/400W Cab Outlet vs $2345 for the LUX package.
Keep in mind that the lux package gets you more than just an outlet and a slider. Of course, if the other items aren't of any value to you then you definitely saved some change!

Ah…… hello a 2x4x12’
I'm always iffy about carrying anything reasonably heavy through the slider. I wouldn't want the load to break loose and take a 2x4 to the shoulder on a right-hand turn.

I see no acceptable use for it to reduce my rear visibility, even if ever so slightly.
My last three pickups had effectively no visibility out of the rear window due to toolboxes and headache racks. My current truck has no visibility because I ordered a topper with only a front window.

(I got the front window only for two main reasons...to watch the load as well as for ventilation. I found out that keeping the topper window cracked open makes the air pressure higher than outside which helps tremendously with keeping dust/dirt/sand/rain out).

That window is small and I'd worry about putting that kind of weight on it.
If I were to carry anything heavy like lumber, I'd stack crates or something in the bed and on the back seat so they carry the weight of the load and not the window sill.

I noticed that even the new F150s have the same smallish rear window. What happened to the full-height rear windows? I can't imagine the smaller cutout surrounded by glass is cheaper than the old 3 piece sliders?
I think it's mostly for looks. The old 3- or 4-piece sliders had, well, 3 or 4 distinct panes of glass that had thick frames around one or more panes.

The new windows have a "floating" slider in that it looks like the slider glass is frameless. Well, at least from the outside since you can still see the frame from the inside.

I'm guessing in order to pull off the floating/frameless look, the slider opening had to be made vertically shorter so that the glass that surrounds it doesn't become too flimsy.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw a truck (not a Maverick) yesterday with a couple 2x4 boards through the window because they did not fit in the bed. Seemed to work.
Its pretty tiny on the Maverick, not even with a tonneau, and really you have a pickup just strap it down and have it hang out the back with a little red rag taped to the end.

Anyway, for ventilation I was thinking of this thread now that we have the rare days of perfect 70oF weather, and I did a little scientific experiment on our 2 hour drive.

All windows down including the back, without the back, partial openings, just opposite corners, etc and at different speeds including highway.

Conclusion was that the back window doesn't really provide more airflow or release the hot air faster than having all windows open while moving, HOWEVER, there was a specific use-case scenario for it.

With just one front window cracked and the rear window all the way open, it offered the quietest cabin while still having good airflow.

That said, as mentioned I rarely use it even electric as its not usually worth the hassle of even reaching for it, but if it were manual I would certainly never bother opening the back doors and reaching all the way over to manually open and close it. So for Lariat owners, know that there is a way to use it that is better than just lowering all your windows, and since its electric its not tedious to use.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not using the AC as much could be beneficial to the hybrid crowd.
Hmm. How so? My gas mileage on my Prius decreases if I open windows compared to using the automatic temp controls with a/c. How would that be different on a Maverick?

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
By using an extension cord I can use the 110V/400W Cab Outlet in the Bed.

The Bed 110V/400W Outlet is only available in the LUX package.

Manual Rear Sliding Window for $155 + $150 for the 110V/400W Cab Outlet vs $2345 for the LUX package.
This was my first thought actually lol.

Sponsored

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like those rear windows are so small they wouldn't be useful for anything. But even if they were bigger why do people want them? I do remember as a kid riding in the back of pick ups and being able to talk to passengers up front. But not too many people do that nowadays.

It's the one option I added that I want to pull from my order. Convince me otherwise :D
I ordered one for my XLT because I read that they were useful for hauling LONG items like wooden molding.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
here you go...

Ford Maverick What is the benefit of rear sliding window? 20211111_141042

ConfusedMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Maxima
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In case you get into a shout-out you won't have to skater your back window, simply slide it open.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fart escape hatch?

We had a rear slider on our '89 F-150. Used it all the time since the truck had no AC. It's a cool, "old school" feature.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In case you get into a shout-out you won't have to skater your back window, simply slide it open.
Must be an Arizona thing………’cause…….
I have no idea what this means!
Sponsored