Sponsored

What is the benefit of rear sliding window?

MimiE

First Name
Mitzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
There is a picture floating around on another thread of the rear seat folded. It does not fold flat and all the exposed wiring is out behind the seat. Plus I don't think there is any solid backing on the seat backs, just loose fabric. You would probably have to DIY a solid back for the seats and then a cover for all the wiring. Even then, it still doesn't fold flat... Missed opportunity by Ford for additional functionality to the rear seat.
I didn't look at the post, but somewhere here I saw a thread about someone who had successfully removed and replaced the rear seat.
Sponsored

MimiE

First Name
Mitzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Not sure I have F150 no moon roof. Open rear window put down from and rear door windows and it buffets you kinda hurts my ears as well.
Maybe moon roof fixes that.
Yes. I have a moon roof now in my Fiesta. Open the moon roof, let rear windows down about 1/3 of the way, and no more weird vibration in the air flow. That's actually why I want the rear window.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If my late 90s SIerra's 3 piece sliding window hasn't leaked in 25+ years, and my 11 year old Tacoma's hasn't leaked 10+ years....I'm confident Ford can make a rear slider that won't leak either and these leak concerns are going to be unfounded.

That being said - I don't have a great reason for ordering other than I've never had a truck without one and wouldn't order one that way given the chance - so I didn't. Might get used a few times a year.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Probably worth mentioning for those unfamiliar with these rear PU sliders, the air flow actually comes *in* through that rear slider if the other door windows are properly adjusted, making for very pleasant air flow through the cabin, vs. gusty wind coming in from the sides. If you're not a windows-down type person, then it won't be of much use, other than a pass-through for various situations.

I am a windows-open guy in all but the coldest or muggiest conditions, so a PU without a slider is no bueno for me. My pooch also enjoys the view, and the convenience of that pass-through is also handy at times.

I wouldn't trust anyone who didn't want a slider in their PU.... 'jus sayin'......:p

Deleted member 4163

I use it for yard work. My parents and I have very large areca palms that are a pain to cut in half when they fall. They are basically long poles. Others mentioned fishing poles and 2 x 4's as well. There are multiple reasons to have a rear window. These are three of them.

Sponsored

rcowdy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems like those rear windows are so small they wouldn't be useful for anything. But even if they were bigger why do people want them? I do remember as a kid riding in the back of pick ups and being able to talk to passengers up front. But not too many people do that nowadays.

It's the one option I added that I want to pull from my order. Convince me otherwise :D
Having the rear sliding window allows you to carry extra long lumber or other items that are too long to load in the box that hang out the back too far. Plus like others have said great for positive airflow. Use mine all the time when i have the sunroof open

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure I have F150 no moon roof. Open rear window put down from and rear door windows and it buffets you kinda hurts my ears as well.
Maybe moon roof fixes that.
I have 2004 Navi with rear power vented windows (cargo area); it does wonders for that buffeting when windows are cracked. Open rear vents, goes away. Same would be true for the slider, just creates front to back flow.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm more worried that it would cause potential issues rather than being useful.

It could be a source of cabin noise due to having two parts instead of one solid one.
Mechanism breaking down due to moisture getting in or the constant open and close.
And there's the security issue as well. I'll let you be creative with what could possibly go wrong
Zero security issue with it. Easier ways to get in

oilman300

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You need it so you can throw your empty beer cans into the bed so the interior stays neat when you're out driving. (only kidding)

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got the sliding window for one piece fishing poles. These will not fit in a 4.5 ft bed, better that they fit through a back window then risk breaking while hanging out of the small bed
I can see that. I'm a woodworker and long stuff I'd haul is hardwood lumber. That window is small and I'd worry about putting that kind of weight on it. But fishing poles? yeah that makes sense.

Sponsored

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To clear the air faster when someone passes gas?

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

For the passengers to reach in the back and grab a beer out of the cooler for the driver on long road trips... duh.
Remember the party ball….I might be dating myself

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It seems like those rear windows are so small they wouldn't be useful for anything. But even if they were bigger why do people want them? I do remember as a kid riding in the back of pick ups and being able to talk to passengers up front. But not too many people do that nowadays.

It's the one option I added that I want to pull from my order. Convince me otherwise :D
In the summer, upon startup, opening it allows the hot air to escape as the cool ac air enters. More importantly, in the winter, it allows the cold air to escape as the heat enters from beneath the dash. The ventilation helps to keep the windows from fogging. (Yes, you could use the ac for that, but then you’re using more fuel to run it!) Absolute truth…….the cab WILL heat up faster with the rear window open, even in single digit temps. And minimal noise, especially relative to cracking a side window, front or rear.