Sponsored

What is the benefit of rear sliding window?

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have found that there is a low pressure zone right behind the rear window. If it is open, it will suck dust into the interior.

I only open it if the fronts are also open and I am moving.

Back in the 50's-60's, full size Mercs had a power roll down rear window. Cool as hell.

1963 Mercury Monterey Breezeway Window - YouTube
Somehow I canā€™t believe that there is a big difference in the aerodynamics, both interior and exterior, of the various pickups through the years and generations. So I wonā€™t try and argue with others and their experiences. Hereā€™s mineā€¦ā€¦..
I put the vent-visors on my ā€˜92 soon after buying her. When parked (sometime months at a time), I leave the windows open a couple of inches, and the vent setting on ā€œheatā€. Air enters below the dash, and exits through the top of the windows. Constant positive ventilation.
Leaves accumulate in the bed.
When I get underway, I open the rear bed-facing window. If I do not close the side windows, Iā€™ll soon have a cab full of leaves. Air streams from aft to forward. The way to stop ā€˜em coming in is to close the side windows. Then Iā€™ll slide the air intake to vent, and all is cool. No leaves (still in the bed), and fresh air coming through the dash.
Sponsored

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems like those rear windows are so small they wouldn't be useful for anything. But even if they were bigger why do people want them? I do remember as a kid riding in the back of pick ups and being able to talk to passengers up front. But not too many people do that nowadays.

It's the one option I added that I want to pull from my order. Convince me otherwise :D
I feel same as you, seemed cool when real young like you said or with a cap to throw beer cans in, but don't need that now, so I went without, better look & visibility.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm more worried that it would cause potential issues rather than being useful.

It could be a source of cabin noise due to having two parts instead of one solid one.
Mechanism breaking down due to moisture getting in or the constant open and close.
And there's the security issue as well. I'll let you be creative with what could possibly go wrong
If someone wanted to break into your car why would they use the window smaller than anyone's head? I don't think Yao ming's arms could reach the locks from that thing.

Sponsored

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Airflow is my favorite. My 13' 150 had one and it was great. Really let the air pass through and i think it quieted down the air noise in the front windows when using it.

Fred27

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2.0, AWD, 4K tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a picture floating around on another thread of the rear seat folded. It does not fold flat and all the exposed wiring is out behind the seat. Plus I don't think there is any solid backing on the seat backs, just loose fabric. You would probably have to DIY a solid back for the seats and then a cover for all the wiring. Even then, it still doesn't fold flat... Missed opportunity by Ford for additional functionality to the rear seat.
Totally agree about issues with seat back material, exposed wiring and lack of a fold flat .seat. Seems like a great opportunity for someone to get inventive and cash in on Fords oversight.

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel same as you, seemed cool when real young like you said or with a cap to throw beer cans in, but don't need that now, so I went without, better look & visibility.
I ordered the rear window mainly because I read articles by other truck owners who said they use them to haul long pieces of wood, molding, etc., by sticking one end through the window.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered the rear window mainly because I read articles by other truck owners who said they use them to haul long pieces of wood, molding, etc., by sticking one end through the window.
Only reason I even considered it but then figured I could put tailgate in half open, stick out & flag it, instead of ramming it in cab scratching interior or hitting windshield. Plus I like the clean look & visibility with out little window.

Sponsored

LAClippers420

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ive had my maverick for a month now and Ive opened the back window a total of 0 times. I haven't smoked in the truck yet cause I like the smell of new car but once that settles down, Imma get the bong, pack a fat bowl, hotbox and then ill crack open the window to air out down pacific coast highway.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If someone wanted to break into your car why would they use the window smaller than anyone's head? I don't think Yao ming's arms could reach the locks from that thing.
It's not just theft though. I said security issue which could also included vandalizing the inside of your truck.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The power slider I have is definitely going to be nice when the weather is better and I can ride without the ac on. Just have the windows cracked or vents on and the rear window open.

If it was a manual I'd say it was useless. Though without rear climate control if you have kids in the back in the summer it might help with moving ac air back there past them.
Sponsored