First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel the exterior of the Ranger looks good (I know many don't like it) but the interior definitely looks and feels dated. I spend a lot of time in the cockpit of a vehicle
Yup, glad I'm not the only one who thought Ranger's interior was mid-2000s. That isn't a deal killer but the Mav interior is much better IMO.

Should this matter? If the truck is reliable, then no; unless the interior is unusable / uncomfortable.

But given how much (other) people think about the exterior -- on-and-on about rims, paints, grill, etc. that serve NO functional purposes -- I think interior should matter more. It's where you sit, and the buttons you push.

I feel it's weird to buy a certain vehicle because of a hypothetical situation. Especially since you can rent a truck for a very affordable price. Why spend $10K-$20K on a comparably equipped vehicle and get worse fuel economy for the entire time you own the vehicle just in case you need to tow a horse trailer?
Amen brother!

ychuck46

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Supercrew w/EcoBoost engine, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a reason(s) why most of us are buying the Maverick, and it is not solved by the Ranger. In our case I have an F-150 Supercrew that has all the towing and space capacity we need. The Maverick is replacing an H3 so the mileage is important, and it will be my wife's everyday vehicle. She is 5' tall so it will be ideal for her, and for myself as well if we use it for any longer travels that we don't need all the hauling space the F-150 has. No need for a Ranger at all, but a real need for the Maverick.

Davidod

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Time for my rant, I see others doing it so it’s my turn! Hahahaha. Nothing serious though.

I keep seeing, and hearing from some of my idiot friends, the whole “Get a Ranger, spend $5k more, get more towing, get it sooner, etc.”

Sorry, but no! There’s a reason so many of us are getting a Mav; size, style, mpg, price.

Most of us:
  1. Don’t need more towing, if any
  2. Don’t plan on serious off-roading
  3. Love the small city size fit and feel
  4. Glad there’s a small F-series style truck (Ranger sticks out like a sore thumb in the lineup)
  5. Maybe upper 30’s mpg average, heck maybe 40 if city only
  6. Well optioned for under $30k
And you won’t break your back putting things into the bed.

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
What's really happening here? Boring sedans have been disappearing faster than snow on a warm March day. Now we have SUV's and trucks. Gargantuan trucks often can't fit into your garage, but they can actually haul stuff, though in many cases simply confirm one's manhood, and prove that you have the means to afford any amount of gasoline. An SUV retains that secure "car" feel you have loved, even though it may actually be built on a truck chassis - and may even drive like a truck. They feel safer because you ride up high and can see more - though that may actually render them more prone to roll over. They give you what seems like a large amount of space to haul your stuff - if you go to the trouble to fold the seats down - and it may be a choice between the Kids or the "stuff." And they invariably have all-wheel drive, guaranteeing you will be able to track through any adverse conditions - even if you're a lousy driver.

Well my friends, the MAV is today's "car" - for those who realize that, occasionally, they have to haul stuff, and the back end of an SUV or a sedan isn't gonna cut it. They don't have to give up the back seat, and now they have an open, configurable tub at the back, that's always ready to haul anything. It's easy to drive and park. You can still have all-wheel drive. You can feed it dead dinosaurs, but you also have the option of being, or just appearing to be concerned for your mother planet by using electrons for power part of the time. We men-folk don't have to completely forgo our manhood because it's still a "truck." It even fits into your garage! What's NOT to like? And with today's "packaging" concept, where you can't get that one simple and inexpensive feature you really want without spending $3,000 more than you wanted to, Ford is still able to squeeze a good amount of cash out of us. Heck - I may have to spend the same amount I might spend on a Ranger, but I also end up with the full-lux boat for the same price. Somebody at Ford really had their shirt together when they decided to develop this "concept of the future." Mid-size, practical, modestly-equipped Ranger work truck (with 2-decade old technology)? Why? When I can offer my spouse heated seats and steering wheel for the same price.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's really happening here? Boring sedans have been disappearing faster than snow on a warm March day. Now we have SUV's and trucks. Gargantuan trucks often can't fit into your garage, but they can actually haul stuff, though in many cases simply confirm one's manhood, and prove that you have the means to afford any amount of gasoline. An SUV retains that secure "car" feel you have loved, even though it may actually be built on a truck chassis - and may even drive like a truck. They feel safer because you ride up high and can see more - though that may actually render them more prone to roll over. They give you what seems like a large amount of space to haul your stuff - if you go to the trouble to fold the seats down - and it may be a choice between the Kids or the "stuff." And they invariably have all-wheel drive, guaranteeing you will be able to track through any adverse conditions - even if you're a lousy driver.

Well my friends, the MAV is today's "car" - for those who realize that, occasionally, they have to haul stuff, and the back end of an SUV or a sedan isn't gonna cut it. They don't have to give up the back seat, and now they have an open, configurable tub at the back, that's always ready to haul anything. It's easy to drive and park. You can still have all-wheel drive. You can feed it dead dinosaurs, but you also have the option of being, or just appearing to be concerned for your mother planet by using electrons for power part of the time. We men-folk don't have to completely forgo our manhood because it's still a "truck." It even fits into your garage! What's NOT to like? And with today's "packaging" concept, where you can't get that one simple and inexpensive feature you really want without spending $3,000 more than you wanted to, Ford is still able to squeeze a good amount of cash out of us. Heck - I may have to spend the same amount I might spend on a Ranger, but I also end up with the full-lux boat for the same price. Somebody at Ford really had their shirt together when they decided to develop this "concept of the future." Mid-size, practical, modestly-equipped Ranger work truck (with 2-decade old technology)? Why? When I can offer my spouse heated seats and steering wheel for the same price.
You have put some thought into this!! :)

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Totally agree. There is very little I like about the Ranger including the price for a comparably optioned truck. I have no nned to tow more than 4k lbs.

One poster commented they should have named the Ranger the F100 and called our Mavericks a RANGER or a F50.

The Maverick name is horrid and should be saved for a car like it was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Very well said!

I guess I do care about the planet now! Al Gore was right! Hahaha.

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the next edition ranger has a phev, I will look at it, but at this point I would probably wait for phev mav. I almost flipped for a mach e this weekend but talked myself down because mav is much more practical and $20k less, the sportiness would be nice but it isn't necessary.

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Whether for style or purpose, everything that comes around goes around. When was the last time you owned a compact pickup - maybe the 70’s? Well, here we are again. Maybe this time it’s for BOTH style and purpose. Things change.

And also remain the same

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whether for style or purpose, everything that comes around goes around. When was the last time you owned a compact pickup - maybe the 70’s? Well, here we are again. Maybe this time it’s for BOTH style and purpose. Things change.

And also remain the same
I have an '04 Range that I would consider a compact truck since it's a few inches shorter than the Maverick.

Romac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had fullsize trucks a couple times in my life, and recently had a 2019 Tacoma (totaled) and 2019 Ranger XLT. Both of these trucks had tow packages, 4wd, all the truck 'must haves'. Where I am I get snow maybe twice a year, and the times I did get snow while I had these trucks, not once did I need 4wd. Literally never used it. Same for my tow package. Ultimately I sold the Ranger XLT off - my wife and I were doing a debt free journey at the time, I wasn't using it like what it was costing me and so on, and honestly I just never fell in love with it. A few years back I had a beater 2.3 Ranger with a manual trans and I loved it. It was great for running to the home improvement stores or small projects, easy to get in and out of the garage and so on. That was what I wanted out of a Ranger. Not a bloated $40,000 truck payment that was as big as the old F150. It took actually buying one to teach myself this lesson. So we sold it and I bought a little car to drive in the meantime.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year, we're luckily financially in a really good place and the new Bronco Sports are rolling out, and I was ready to get back into something nice. Back into a Ford (I'm a Ford employee also so A plan applies), and I picked up a new Base Bronco Sport. I liked it a lot, but I was never head over heels for it. This was my first SUV and I know a lot of people view SUVs as having the room and comfort of cars with the utility of a truck - but I looked at it the opposite way. It had some (baby) truck like feel but none of the advantages of having a truck. This almost seems like a Ford commercial fantasy land - but me and my wife are 'Makers'. We have a Glowforge laser engraver, lots of tools, and we run a side business making laser art, ornaments, jewelry etc., so that being said we do haul wood and supplies regularly. Fitting that stuff in the Bronco Sport was do-able, certainly not incapable enough to warrant a vehicle trade. But it was annoying; move the kids booster seats, shuffle them around, lay seats flat, put wood in the Bronco and then something gets scratched or dirty (I'm OCD about vehicle care). Going fishing meant putting poles and smelly shit inside the cabin. Going hiking meant muddy boots in the hatch area. Getting the kids bikes and scooters in and out meant scuffs and dirt. And it was eating at me.

I wanted a truck.

But not a $40,000 truck. Not a monstrosity I couldn't fit in my garage. So I started looking at old Rangers again as a secondary - but I HATE having multiple vehicles. I hate moving them around, covering the insurance etc. In the middle of this perfect storm the Maverick becomes a reality, I start talking to my wife about it who has almost no interest in me getting yet ANOTHER vehicle. But this time is different, and as corny as it sounds, Ford was actually making something 'for us'. We're makers, DIYers, I like the outdoors and I like to be able to haul things - but I live in the suburbs, I commute 40 mins one way to work, I don't tow anything, I don't need to be able to sit another truck in the bed of my truck. We have two kids, we need space for them. They have Nintendo Switches and iPads and we need to able to charge those. I need to be able to toss some plywood or a fishing pole or a kids bike in the back and forget about it, and keep my occupancy space clean and how I like it.

So we spent some time building and pricing, originally I had to have the ecoboost, and I had to have awd. I wanted the power, I like fast cars too. And I wanted the all weather all terrain capability. But the reality really started setting in again; I have a Bronco, and I never used GOAT modes. Having an 'adventure ready' vehicle wasn't making me any more adventurous. So make that a note when you consider your vehicles - what do you actually want to do and what will you actually use it for? We get caught up easily in their marketing showing trucks pulling airplanes and splashing down riverways. But the overwhelming majority of us don't do that, and if you do then there is a market and vehicle for you. But don't overspend your hard earned money on options you don't need and won't use based on social pressures or marketing hype. I work with plenty of guys who have bought F250s so they can buy boats and side by sides and wind up 100s of thousands of dollars in debt for toys they can't afford and barely use. Don't do that to yourself. You already know if you're the kind of person that needs to move a horse trailer or a boat. Don't feel "less than" if your Maverick will perform to the needs of your lifestyle, they call that finding balance.

I'm a 36 year old dad and husband = I need room for my family. I drive a lot = I need better mpg. I like tech, so that's important to me. As much as I don't attach myself to the term, I'm a 'maker'. I need something capable of moving light project supplies. The Maverick is perfect for me, and based on the hype I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

By the way, this crazy used vehicle market - I sold the Bronco Sport to Carvana for $3500 more than I paid after taxes on my A Plan. I banked that money and ordered a Maverick. I (overpaid, again, crazy market) for an 01 Ranger to drive in the meantime while I await my Mavericks delivery. When it comes I'll sell off the Ranger and I think I'll finally have my well rounded catch all in the Maverick.

Cactus Grey XLT / hybrid / lux package / co pilot 360. I can't wait!

MDmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm new here. I want to credit to "Clippedwings" for encapsulating how I feel about why the Maverick speaks to me as my next new vehicle. It ticks all the boxes for me (Hybrid/Compact/Practical). So much so that this is the first new car purchase for me in over 20 years (most of my prior purchases were off lease vehicles) . I have had a long succession of old Rangers (1997 5speed Reg cab / 1999 XLT 4WD 3.0 auto / and current 2010 5speed auto/2.3L reg cab). For my purposes, I do not need anything bigger and I'm not towing anything heavy. But, I do like the ability to load dirty stuff in the back when needed and commuting efficiently when not.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

To each their own. Some crazy posts and forums on stuff that I don’t even think about. The Maverick is perfect for ME. The versatility, the options, the mileage, it’s just what I wanted. The Ranger with the same options would cost me 10 to 12 thousand more and I don’t need what the Ranger can do as compared to the Mav. My thoughts, get what you need. No need to bash other vehicles. The more a vehicle can do the more you will pay and the MPG will come down. It’s simple to me, cost, mpg, and needs/capability. For me the Maverick is a solid deal and it will suit my needs. Get what you want or need. I did.The Maverick is different and I am embracing it

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like the hybrid will be tough to get now. I am lucky to have had my build date set since early July. So I am hopeful I will be one of the early ones. We'll see! (y)

Mike
In Tim's video he is states that about 30% of his 45 allocations this month that got the production email from Ford were Hybrids.

And with the upcoming ramp of Maverick production in November (2700) and December (4900) if that 30% still holds then 2280 lucky ones will get their Maverick Hybrids scheduled for production over the next six weeks.

I was one of the lucky ones as I got my "scheduled for production" Ford emails last Thursday.
Sponsored

Last edited: