olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me a ranger would be a better option but the Mav is in my price point and will do what I need and if it turns out it doesn't im sure the resell market will be fine or I can trade it in on a different model.
Sponsored

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive an 03 ranger and it's really the perfect truck for me. Hauls everything I need, runs like a top, gets decent gas mileage, etc. The only reason I'm upgrading is i need room for a carseat. The Mav looks and feels like the old rangers but with a trade off with bed for seats.

I test drove the new rangers and they really aren't the same. Bigger, wobbly, huge compared to old rangers, and stupid expensive. It won't fit in my garage, it won't improve gas mileage and really just feels like a sub-par F150. On top of that the current prices are ludicrous and all i can find used are fully decked out versions.

F150s are stupid big, inefficient and not at all what I want.

All in all it's not Mav vs Ranger vs F150 for me as I don't want either of the big trucks really. The debate in the family right now is a Subaru Outback or the Mav. This allows me to upgrade to a family car, but maintain a truck in this city household.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
As soon as the Ranger chops AT LEAST a foot off of its length and starts handling more like an SUV, I'll seriously look at it. At this point though, I'd never even consider a Ranger, it doesn't match my needs at all, while the Mav does.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep seeing, and hearing from some of my idiot friends, the whole ā€œGet a Ranger, spend $5k more, get more towing, get it sooner, etc.ā€
Just heard this from a friend. He drives a Silverado. I guess "compact" truck is causing the dreaded --

-- "that ain't a real truck" crap.

Massive towing, 4x4 locking diffs, etc. And a gas guzzling engine.

"What if you need to haul a horse?" (because I'm surrounded by horse stables out in the country.) Well, I just won't! Horses are time sinks and money pits anyways because only the Amish use them as draft animals. Nope. Those "real" trucks don't make sense for a lot of folks, and aren't even really used by folks who say they need it Big.

Reactions: bgn
OP
OP
CoryDallas8123

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just heard this from a friend. He drives a Silverado. I guess "compact" truck is causing the dreaded --

"What if you need to haul a horse?" (because I'm surrounded by horse stables out in the country.) Well, I just won't! Horses are time sinks and money pits anyways because only the Amish use them as draft animals. Nope. Those "real" trucks don't make sense for a lot of folks, and aren't even really used by folks who say they need it Big.
A horse!?! Thatā€™s a new one to me. You need to just say ā€œI can haul some midget horses in the 4.5ā€™ bed!ā€ Hahaha.

Sponsored

tsled

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.helibuilder.net
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Gray, Hybrid, XLT Maverick
Time for my rant, I see others doing it so itā€™s my turn! Hahahaha. Nothing serious though.

I keep seeing, and hearing from some of my idiot friends, the whole ā€œGet a Ranger, spend $5k more, get more towing, get it sooner, etc.ā€

Sorry, but no! Thereā€™s a reason so many of us are getting a Mav; size, style, mpg, price.

Most of us:
  1. Donā€™t need more towing, if any
  2. Donā€™t plan on serious off-roading
  3. Love the small city size fit and feel
  4. Glad thereā€™s a small F-series style truck (Ranger sticks out like a sore thumb in the lineup)
  5. Maybe upper 30ā€™s mpg average, heck maybe 40 if city only
  6. Well optioned for under $30k
Over the years I have owned Rangers and they fit my life style perfect. 12 years ago when they stopped making them I bought a new one. Fast forward to Feb 2021 I decided it was time to get a New Ranger . . . comparied to my old Ranger the new one is the size of a 150! I decided I wanted "New" so I bought one. It just barely fits into my garage with only inches on all sides, she is BIG. Here in Henderson NV an XLT with 360, EcoBoost and some other stuff that came "stock" on it cost me $36K. Three months latter I heard about the Maverick, studied up for a few weeks, then I put my order in! The only thing the new Ranger has I wish Maverick had is parking sensors all around for those times my wife might drive it.

joeboxer22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is creating a subsegment that is going to explode. This isn't a choice (for most buyers IMHO) between a Ranger and a Maverick.
It's a choice between a Civic, Corolla, Patriot or other cars . Watch for the competition from Toyota/GM/Chrysler whoever to be launched pretty quickly.
This guy gets it!

joeboxer22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The current Ranger front end looks like the older F150 to me... Rounded.. I don't care for that look; Ford should have squared it off like the new F150 and the Maverick... Just saying...
I agree and the ranger is so jacked up in the back , the rake it has is odd.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The current Ranger front end looks like the older F150 to me... Rounded.. I don't care for that look; Ford should have squared it off like the new F150 and the Maverick... Just saying...
The Ranger is a VERY OLD design. Going on 10 years. Wait for the update next year.

Reactions: bgn

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Spy photos of the new (coming 2023?) Ranger show they have indeed restyled it to look like the F-150. The current styling was designed in Australia I believe for their domestic market, then tweaked for North American sales. 2023 reportedly still has the same platform under it with some suspension tweaks and tuning to make it ride better. Basically the same thing Nissan did with the "new" 2022 Frontier.

Sponsored

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me, I need a vehicle with a bed so I can put my plants, etc(manure too) in the bed. To add the hybrid is a big plus! To top it off, the Maverick is a much better looking truck than the Ranger inside and out. My opinion of coarse. (y)

Mike
Well the hybrid is now unobtanium.
What amazes me on prices is...18 months ago I could have bought a Ranger XL for $23k. Passed on it.
Still use my 2006 Ranger Sport as my yardtruck. It works. And I get lots of "nice truck...want to sell it?" Don't think that would happen in the stripper XL.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
The Ranger is a VERY OLD design. Going on 10 years. Wait for the update next year.
Exactly. It isn't a bad thing as it is a proven platform, especially off-road. I feel the exterior of the Ranger looks good (I know many don't like it) but the interior definitely looks and feels dated. I spend a lot of time in the cockpit of a vehicle and even when the Ranger was released stateside, it felt dated and not practical. The new Splash edition looks way better on the interior but the inset on the infotainment screen looks about as dated as the one in my old 2007 Lexus GX470. The new model should look way better hopefully!

I really hate the "well for a few thousand more, you can get X truck" or "what if you need to tow something heavy". Uh, why buy a Ranger since the F150 is just a few thousand more? That is such a slippery slope argument. If I need to tow something heavy or haul more than what the Maverick is capable of, I'll just rent a truck from Uhaul, Penske, or Home Depot.

I feel it's weird to buy a certain vehicle because of a hypothetical situation. Especially since you can rent a truck for a very affordable price. Why spend $10K-$20K on a comparably equipped vehicle and get worse fuel economy for the entire time you own the vehicle just in case you need to tow a horse trailer? šŸ˜‚

Ford Maverick Ranger argument is getting old 2022_Ranger_Splash_Package_08

mikedege

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well the hybrid is now unobtanium.
What amazes me on prices is...18 months ago I could have bought a Ranger XL for $23k. Passed on it.
Still use my 2006 Ranger Sport as my yardtruck. It works. And I get lots of "nice truck...want to sell it?" Don't think that would happen in the stripper XL.

Looks like the hybrid will be tough to get now. I am lucky to have had my build date set since early July. So I am hopeful I will be one of the early ones. We'll see! (y)

Mike

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious, too. If you figure [the two different MSRPs on the same truck] out please share. Here's the page of Ranger results:
I contacted one dealer. The higher "MSRP" (which isn't really what it is) is the real MSRP plus the additional cost for having the truck built up by Roush Performance. That adds about $12k (or more) for a bunch of stuff. You can see the list on the Roush website at:
ROUSH Vehicle Configurator (roushperformance.com)

I'm not saying it's worth it. (It's not to me.) But it seems to be mostly real add-ons -- not undercoating, sealant, extended warranty, additional dealer markup, and all that jazz.

russross

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I contacted one dealer. The higher "MSRP" (which isn't really what it is) is the real MSRP plus the additional cost for having the truck built up by Roush Performance. That adds about $12k (or more) for a bunch of stuff. You can see the list on the Roush website at:
ROUSH Vehicle Configurator (roushperformance.com)

I'm not saying it's worth it. (It's not to me.) But it seems to be mostly real add-ons -- not undercoating, sealant, extended warranty, additional dealer markup, and all that jazz.
I guessed it was something like that--thanks for looking into it and sharing your findings. It seems pretty misleading to call it MSRP.

The salient point here is that they are doing this with 100% of their vehicles. I've seen similar tactics at other local dealers. If I decided I didn't want to wait for my Maverick order, my options locally would be to by a truck with every expensive option (the $42k window sticker price is at the high end for a Ranger), a bunch of dealer add-ons, and inflated prices for everything. Makes an XLT Maverick at MSRP seem like a better deal all the time.
Sponsored