First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I searched in vain for a thread that covered this topic, so I hope this isn't a duplicate. I ordered and received the hitch receiver from Ford Parts. It arrived with minimal instructions (mostly drawings) but installation appeared to be straightforward. Not at all. My son-in-law (who's pretty handy) and I spent two hours trying to remove the rear bumper cover without damaging it and finally gave up. There appears to be some sort of hidden fastener that isn't shown on the instructions. I'm calling my dealer today to schedule the installation.
Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP

dehaikin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the links, but apparently there's no solution.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I searched in vain for a thread that covered this topic, so I hope this isn't a duplicate. I ordered and received the hitch receiver from Ford Parts. It arrived with minimal instructions (mostly drawings) but installation appeared to be straightforward. Not at all. My son-in-law (who's pretty handy) and I spent two hours trying to remove the rear bumper cover without damaging it and finally gave up. There appears to be some sort of hidden fastener that isn't shown on the instructions. I'm calling my dealer today to schedule the installation.
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I would take it to the dealer to have it installed. Couple reasons: They know the Maverick, they know how to install, if they make a mistake it's on them and they have the parts (usually) in hand to repair it, and finally, they're liable if anything down the road goes wrong.
Any other vehicle, I would say do it yourself or take it to a competent mechanic. The Maverick is so new I have to wonder how many shops are familiar with it.

OP
OP

dehaikin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I would take it to the dealer to have it installed. Couple reasons: They know the Maverick, they know how to install, if they make a mistake it's on them and they have the parts (usually) in hand to repair it, and finally, they're liable if anything down the road goes wrong.
I came to that conclusion after yesterday's experience. I'm waiting for a callback from the dealer's service department.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I came to that conclusion after yesterday's experience. I'm waiting for a callback from the dealer's service department.
Aha! Great minds ....
I had the fun experience of swapping out the factory ball hitch on my Chevy Colorado for a regular hitch. Etrailer people. Video was clear, but it took two of us to hold it in place while a third crawled underneath to bolt it on. Had to use the hollow rod handle from a floor jack to get enough torque. A real pain. Got it done, but I learned my lesson.

OP
OP

dehaikin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea should factory ordered installed $100.00+4PIN connector 🤣
Right. Unfortunately that wasn't an option for me. The dealer messed up the order submission from my online build, and Ford had stopped taking new orders. The dealer offered me a Maverick that they already had on order, which was identical to my order except for the hitch receiver.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

That way you’ll have a guy named Ernie making $9 an hour who has never even seen a Maverick installing yours, pulling off the rear panel, reinstalling everything and really not caring because at 5pm he’s out of there without a care in the world.

Good luck

Sponsored
OP
OP

dehaikin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right. Unfortunately that wasn't an option for me. The dealer messed up the order submission from my online build, and Ford had stopped taking new orders. The dealer offered me a Maverick that they already had on order, which was identical to my order except for the hitch receiver.
I guess there's always a trade off

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are beyond generous. I will look this over and decide if I want to take it on or throw caution to the wind and turn it over to Ernie :). The amount the dealership wants to charge will be a deciding factor
Glad to help a fellow Mav owner out. Fyi @dehaikin even after getting the tow hitch on, you will still require the electric part which the the 4 pin connector. If the dealer tries to replicate the factory harness, etc., it will get expensive real quick. I am working on installing the 4 pin connector in the next couple of days ***Update*** The wiring harness for the 2022 Ford Escape won't work. The connectors are slightly different. That means that the Bronco Sport wiring harness from eTrailer, with a wiring swap on the device seems like the only option. Before I order the Bronco Sport, I'm going to call the manufacturers and see what their ETA is on one for the Maverick.

As I mentioned, the tow hitch install is not complicated, just a little tedious with removing all the screws. That said, don't lose hope, this forum board will help guide you through on solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dad

GaryG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, 2000 F250 7.3 TD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's what I thought as it was a bit difficult to pop the snaps that hold the bumper on. I simply started with the sides and used a pry bar from behind! Once you pop the first few you will see the rest will pop easily! You only need to remove enough snaps to lift the bumper.
Sponsored