A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm looking for a cool receiver hitch cap for the Maverick. Please send your ideas-
If you live in a snowy area I would not suggest a hitch cap cover. Someone gave me a cool NFL hitch cover because I never towed anything for years. Then I went to pull it off to use a trailer and it wouldn't budge. Had to destroy it to get it out, once it was out the metal was all Rusty and expanded from the salt over years. The hitch would not fit, had to file down the inside a little and finally got the hitch in. Will never put a hitch cap cover on again.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick. 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I may need to cut a small notch in the backside plate to clear the bumper, but otherwise it should take very little to get it mounted. Will post photos of the operation.
Did that receiver work?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you live in a snowy area I would not suggest a hitch cap cover. Someone gave me a cool NFL hitch cover because I never towed anything for years. Then I went to pull it off to use a trailer and it wouldn't budge. Had to destroy it to get it out, once it was out the metal was all Rusty and expanded from the salt over years. The hitch would not fit, had to file down the inside a little and finally got the hitch in. Will never put a hitch cap cover on again.
I wonder if it would matter if you put in a buttload of waterproof grease or something?

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder if it would matter if you put in a buttload of waterproof grease or something?
Possibly, if anybody has experience. Please let us know.

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Base Grp 500A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

coherent

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, F250 Superduty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My truck did not come with the receiver. I looked at the Ford Accessories and they have one for $295. It says no drilling or welding required and says it uses existing holes to install. But from looking at the underside of my truck, there aren't any holes to bolt in to. Does anybody know how this bolts on?
If it's not an immediate need, I'd wait a little while and there will be lots of after market hitch's available for about half as much at places like etrailer. They are bolt on and not that hard to install. There are bolt locations and you normally remove existing bolts/assemblies and use them for mounting points. They come with instructions and are not that difficult to install. I've installed a few on different vehicles without issue at home.

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are comfortable with your welding ability, you could add a receiver to the existing crash bar. These pictures show the Ford accessory hitch, which appears to be just a receiver welded to a regular crash bar.

IMG_20220320_163001116.jpg

IMG_20220320_163014747_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220320_163036614.jpg

IMG_20220320_163048540_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220320_163101575_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220320_163120252_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220320_163125751_HDR.jpg
😲😲 Amazing weld job amigo @Tundra2Maverick(?) !! You prepping for the harness install now? 👊🏽

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Base Grp 500A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
😲😲 Amazing weld job amigo @Tundra2Maverick(?) !! You prepping for the harness install now? 👊🏽
That is not my welding skills. That is the Ford receiver installed. Yes, witing for your harness info. Hopefully, I can use Ford Pass Points at Dealer to buy the harness.

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

KentonHock

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kenton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may need to cut a small notch in the backside plate to clear the bumper, but otherwise it should take very little to get it mounted. Will post photos of the operation.
Just checking in to see if you were successful with this bolt on piece.

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 53 Dodge M37
The one that I have looks like a Claymore mine. The part that goes into the hitch is plastic (actually the whole thing is plastic) so rust shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of others that are made of plastic.

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The one that I have looks like a Claymore mine. The part that goes into the hitch is plastic (actually the whole thing is plastic) so rust shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of others that are made of plastic.
That's what I thought and the one that I had in my hitch was all plastic and the water and salt got between the metal and the plastic and started to rust. Never again for me.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea the local dealer wants $117 to install and the part is $295 plus tax. I am thinking I can do it myself but for the life of me I can't find the holes they say it bolts to
You know this would have cost a grand total of $100 parts and labor if you bought the hitch receiver and wiring harness as an upgrade when you built the truck.

Miles777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
" You know this would have cost a grand total of $100 parts and labor if you bought the hitch receiver and wiring harness as an upgrade when you built the truck."

Yes, thank you Captain Obvious.
Sponsored