First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, just curious, if you don't have a metal shop and don't have a means to cut off the top or weld it to the crash bar, will leaving it as is and just bolting on work? If there is clearance for the entire hitch piece to be bolted on, could you possibly just add a couple spacers where the bolts go through to stop it from sliding down? Thanks..
If you don't have a grinder nor a cutting torch, a run of the mill hacksaw would do the job. It will take longer, but it will cut the excess height from the hitch, and allow you to place it up higher in the normal position.
tom
Sponsored

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
installed the curt hitch adapter/bronco sport harness. welded on, crash bar not removed from truck. everything went smooth, thanks to all that contributed info to this topic. also, we ran power off the 12V pigtails off the bed sides. nice and easy. again, thanks to all that contributed info. total cost including curt adapter, bronco sport harness, and labour was under $300 U.S. took about 3 hrs to do everyhing.

Ford Maverick Trailer hitch receiver 20220414_105407

Last edited:

Nexus

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250 Diesel Crew Cad
installed the curt hitch adapter/bronco sport harness. welded on, crash bar not removed from truck. everything went smooth, thanks to all that contributed info to this topic. also, we ran power off the 12V pigtails off the bed sides. nice and easy. again, thanks to all that contributed info. total cost including curt adapter, bronco sport harness, and labour was under $300 U.S. took about 3 hrs to do everyhing.

20220414_105407.jpg
Good job!- Good looking welds
Only reason I took crash bar off to weld. I once fried a ECM from a loose ground
on someone else's vehicle that was very $$$ to replace.
I ran the power from the 12 volt pigtail also, made it a lot easier.
Nice to have a lift.

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 53 Dodge M37
What is the Curt model number?

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided

20220414_105407.jpg
Nice bumper hitch. The welds look ok but lets be honest that's not really the same as an OEM hitch.

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am curious, if the receiver is just welded on to the crash bar, why doesn't Ford just offer the receiver itself without the new crash bar? For that matter it appears as though the receiver has holes in it for bolts to go thru, so why can't the existing crash bar just be drilled thru and a receiver be bolted on?
Welding it is less chance of loose bolts 🔩 and peace of mind

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice bumper hitch. The welds look ok but lets be honest that's not really the same as an OEM hitch.
LOL, not sure what picture you’re looking at. The welds holding the plate to the crash bar are better than the factory welds holding the tube to that plate....

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick. 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Welding it is less chance of loose bolts 🔩 and peace of mind
While I agree, some loc-tite takes care of a lot of that. But your response doesn't answer my question. Besides some of us do not have access to welders

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL, not sure what picture you’re looking at. The welds holding the plate to the crash bar are better than the factory welds holding the tube to that plate....

Really when you n large the photo the hitch plate welds are clearly done by a professional welder verses the factory welds that look like a Student's first time welding

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While I agree, some loc-tite takes care of a lot of that. But your response doesn't answer my question. Besides some of us do not have access to welders
initial plan was to drill/bolt. I'd have been just as comfortable with that option, proper grade bolts/lock nuts . oem hitch is bolted to the truck, hitch ball is bolted to the mount, coupler has bolts/etc. regardless, either bolted or welded will be fine as long as the work is competent.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You know this would have cost a grand total of $100 parts and labor if you bought the hitch receiver and wiring harness as an upgrade when you built the truck.
Sponsored