Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone notice excessive receiver hitch rattle with their Maverick? I tried all (3) of my ball mounts today and they all fit sloppy and rattle. Time to get an anti-rattle clamp I guess.....

Sponsored

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep, mine rattles like crazy. Strategically placed duct tape has minimized it for me but I definitely need to look into an anti rattle clip for my receiver.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right, I had one on my Escape and it rattled/knocked quite a bit.
Those anti-rattle devices are pretty effective but it is the nature of the beast, blame the unibody construction.
The rattle on mine has nothing to do with the unibody, my Maverick's receiver opening is larger than it should be and all (3) of my ball mounts move around too much when inserted. Those same mounts fit tight in my Raptor, new TRX, Expeditions, Explorer, and other F-series trucks...

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
The rattle on mine has nothing to do with the unibody, my Maverick's receiver opening is larger than it should be and all (3) of my ball mounts move around too much when inserted. Those same mounts fit tight in my Raptor, new TRX, Expeditions, Explorer, and other F-series trucks...

And the hitch on those vehicles is mounted to a frame with rubber isolators between it and the body.
There are no isolators between the Maverick hitch and it’s unibody.

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And the hitch on those vehicles is mounted to a frame with rubber isolators between it and the body.
There are no isolators between the Maverick hitch and it’s unibody.

LOL, there are no 'rubber isolators' on those other trucks between the frame and receiver , LOL. Don't state things you apparently know zero about.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Unibody, The issue here is that the receiver opening on my Maverick is oversize and the ball mounts can be moved around in all directions..

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Okay Bubba, you win.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Not sure what you mean by your comment 'Duffus" or exactly who it's directed to.....

What's you've pictured are frame to body mounts. Original, worn rubber vs aftermarket poly....

A receiver hitch is mounted solid to the frame or in the Maverick's case, the back half of the unibody, there should be zero movement between the two....

The rattle Maverick owners experiance is due to the slop between the receiver and ball mount, period. That's why the anti-rattle clip resolves it....

Last edited:

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
"the hitch on those vehicles is mounted to a frame with rubber isolators between it and the body"
The body is isolated from the frame and hitch by the bushings.
Why is this so hard to understand?

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"the hitch on those vehicles is mounted to a frame with rubber isolators between it and the body"
The body is isolated from the frame and hitch by the bushings.
Why is this so hard to understand?
It's not hard to understand something that has zero relevance to this thread.

The rattle I (and others) are experiencing is due to the slop in the ball mount to receiver. I can grab the end of any of my (3) 2" ball mounts and move them 1/2" in any direction. I put those same mounts in my Raptor, my new TRX, my F250, my wife's Explorer, my Expedition, etc. and they all fit snugly. The anti-rattle clips prevent that movement....

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
They all will move and rattle without the clip.
Sponsored