First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with AWD, Tow Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Recently I towed a trailer with my Maverick. There was so much clunking I wondered if the trailer had come loose. On inspection I found that my standard 2 inch hitch was actually about 1.99 inches, which is about 10 thousandths undersize, while the Ford receiver is 2.070 inches, or 70 thousandths oversize. Altogether that makes 0.080 of slop. I've never had a hitch fit so loosely. I spent over an hour spot welding the sides and top of my hitch and grinding them to fit. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a simpler solution I'm not thinking of? Thanks. Ken
Sponsored

Ems

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not super unusual, easier fix is to use a solid composite shim to snug up the fit. More contact area than some little spot welds, and won’t marr anything up either

Tyler

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2023 Mavrick (Hybrid)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Grab one of these you clamp it down to prevent rattle between the hitch and receiver.

Because the maverick is a unibody vehicle the rattle of the hitch is very apparent in the cabin. These clamps are mandatory when towing with any unibody vehicle IMO.

Edogg1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade desert hawk
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Grab one of these you clamp it down to prevent rattle between the hitch and receiver.

Because the maverick is a unibody vehicle the rattle of the hitch is very apparent in the cabin. These clamps are mandatory when towing with any unibody vehicle IMO.
Exactly, I had the same curt hitches on a ranger, then a Subaru crosstrek, then a Jeep renegade. The Subaru and Jeep sounded like the trailer lost its wheels at times. The noise resonates through the body so much more then body on frame trucks

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Base Grp 500A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Great idea. Mine was also loose. You just made a sale for Amazon. Thanks

Sponsored

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with AWD, Tow Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks. I knew about those and probably should have gone that route. My hitch fits tight now, but it dawned on me later it may not fit in other receivers. Also good to know that about the unibody. It makes sense.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Recently I towed a trailer with my Maverick. There was so much clunking I wondered if the trailer had come loose. On inspection I found that my standard 2 inch hitch was actually about 1.99 inches, which is about 10 thousandths undersize, while the Ford receiver is 2.070 inches, or 70 thousandths oversize. Altogether that makes 0.080 of slop. I've never had a hitch fit so loosely. I spent over an hour spot welding the sides and top of my hitch and grinding them to fit. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a simpler solution I'm not thinking of? Thanks. Ken
Yes, on my Escape with a Curt hitch. Don’t blame Ford, blame the unibody.

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, on my Escape with a Curt hitch. Don’t blame Ford, blame the unibody.
Hitch Tightener on Amazon. Someone posted this several months ago, I bought it for the same reason, and it works.
Ford Maverick Sloppy tow hitch receiver Trailer Hitch Tightener

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hitch Tightener on Amazon. Someone posted this several months ago, I bought it for the same reason, and it works.
Trailer Hitch Tightener.jpg
Tyler posted the link in his post above.
Sponsored