Mikk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes but the tailgate already looks like it hangs to low(not level with the bed).
I agree. I didn't want to lower it, it already is not level when open.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mikk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The right is tack welded just like the left. A cable with a turn buckle adjuster would be nice. Maybe someone will create an aftermarket one.
I'm sure someone eventually will. I started out looking for a simple adjustment but did what I had to do when I didn't find one! :p

OP
OP

Mikk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this only a problem when the bed is in the fully down position? The cables are tight when using the half-down position?
In the half-down position the left one is a bit slack, but not nearly as much as it was in the fully-down position. In the fully-down position even with 235 lbs on the tailgate, the left one was still slack. In the half-down position I can take up the slack just by pressing down on the tailgate.

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good grief, most people aren't ever going to want a service manual. Even if I had one, I still would not feel qualified to do most of the work. And so much of what exists on modern vehicles either requires specialized tools and/or high-tech equipment for reading and calibrating. Unfortunately, wrenching on a 2022 truck is nothing like wrenching on a 1980 truck. I'm OK paying a professional to service my vehicles.
When out in the desert or mountains it is usually a bit more than difficult getting a tech. And generally there is a temporary fix or bypass that can be done to get the engine running or fix it, even if it is in crippled mode, to get back to camp or to a large enough town to get it fixed

Sevesteen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat Lux, 18 Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both cables were exactly the same length.
...but if the necessary distance for proper support is not exactly the same, wouldn't making the slack cable a bit shorter be an effective solution? (note, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it doesn't work in practice, or if it just moves the slack to the other side of the tailgate)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mikk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
...but if the necessary distance for proper support is not exactly the same, wouldn't making the slack cable a bit shorter be an effective solution? (note, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it doesn't work in practice, or if it just moves the slack to the other side of the tailgate)
Sure, if you can do that. The cables are crimped onto their fittings; taking them off is not easy nor would be properly re-crimping them without the correct tool (a hydraulic crimper).

Sevesteen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat Lux, 18 Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure, if you can do that. The cables are crimped onto their fittings; taking them off is not easy nor would be properly re-crimping them without the correct tool (a hydraulic crimper).
What I meant was a lot clearer in my head than it turned out to be on the screen...I hate when that happens. This was meant to be in reference to giving the slack side cable a full twist to shorten it.

Veer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
veer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m sure there will proper size aftermarket cables available in the future, wait for them.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bet if you twisted it the spiral it makes when closing the gate would be fun to look at if it doesn't jam.

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same situation on my Lariat that i picked up a week ago. On mine and the examples I've seen, it's always the driver side cable that's slack. If that's the case it's a manufacturing/tooling problem. And, yes, the tailgate drops below level with the bed when it's down. I don't remember either of these things being the case with my early 90s Toyota pickup, my mid 90s Ranger or my 2000 Toyota Tundra. (True. It could be I just didn't notice.)

If you and a couple buddies sit on the tailgate could it warp it?

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same situation on my Lariat that i picked up a week ago. On mine and the examples I've seen, it's always the driver side cable that's slack. If that's the case it's a manufacturing/tooling problem. And, yes, the tailgate drops below level with the bed when it's down. I don't remember either of these things being the case with my early 90s Toyota pickup, my mid 90s Ranger or my 2000 Toyota Tundra. (True. It could be I just didn't notice.)

If you and a couple buddies sit on the tailgate could it warp it?
These tailgate straps have been covered in prior threads. Some have made solid metal hinged replacements like 30-40 year ago straps. Someone found some they could buy for other trucks and had contacted manufacture for maverick sized ones. Search forum for those threads.

Charles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
my tailgate is not even with bed....dangerously close to hitting the bumper when in open position.

jons

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love my Toyota pickup! Wish we could order one just like that now days! Anything built like that?
Sponsored