First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is one of those things that could be a simple fix if tolerance specs were checked and enforced, but nobody wants to sign off on shutting down the line. Two steps might save grief down the road, or one kludge. a)calculate where attachment point should be to put lip of tailgate even with bed, and b)make cables exact same size. No further thought required, issue is ended. Alternatively c)fit adjustable cable. If, as I suspect, nothing is done because it's good enough, there may be money to be made selling custom cables.

The irony is that it would be a relatively simple procedure to change a subroutine for the robotic arm that installs it to move the mounting point, and that is what would be done in Germany, Japan and maybe South Korea. What does that say about us?
Sponsored

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Have any dealers fixed this issue yet?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Picked up the XLT AWD at Gwinnett Place Ford (Atlanta metro) last week. Both tailgate straps are too long. The rear of tailgate is one 1 1/4" too low in the flat position. The service dept ordered two straps. This is the fourth one this dealer has seen.
Just saw this bumped thread, but wanted to comment that on my review of the Maverick Lariat at the Houston autoshow had the same problem, and the car show and press vehicles are supposed to be ones that have been gone over with a fine-toothed comb to be perfect.

Ironically though it was the passenger side that was too long and the driver's side that was taught. I think the manufacturer sends these vehicle's out to a third party company to detail and bring them around the country and make sure everything is perfect, and I wonder if they also noticed the problem and simply tried to fix it by swapping the left and right cables or if its just random luck of the draw.

Seems like such an easy fix for the aftermarket though to perhaps offer some that can be clamped to length by the owner, if each Maverick just has various tolerance issues, or just wants to adjust it after the straps have perhaps stretched a bit after their first 400lb load on the tailgate or something.

gametyme89

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My own tailgate cables aren't identical either. The driver's side cable is a touch longer than the passenger's side. However, this isn't a defect I care much to complain about to my dealership. I know it's there, but not worth the headache trying to get my dealership to make it a priority to fix, especially after having seen soooo many other Maverick owners with the same issue. If it affects actual utilization of the truck bed in the future I may complain, but I'm content for now.

All that to say that I can confirm that I have the same uneven cable lengths on my own Eco XLT.

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I must be super easy to please

Sponsored

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is apparently not just a problem with the Maverick. My boy has a '20 GMC Dually, fully loaded (80K) with one cable very slack. Weight on tailgate will never get the slack out. While getting my wife's car serviced at Toyota last week, I looked at a Tundra they had priced at 54K. One cable was slack like that described above for the GMC. Tacoma on the show floor had slack cable which became tight when under load.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did a quick search on the broader internet and here, but didn't find anything.
My tailgate cables are uneven. The left one has a tiny bit of slack, in either position.
I looked at some videos, and it seems like others are this way as well. Is this intentional?
Parts defect go directly to your dealer and do not pass go

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if some maverick folks could get together and exchange cables for the same lengths? That is assuming the cables are not side specific. seems like everyone has a long and short one?

Maybe measure them and post the measurements to see if someone will exchange a cable with you. Seems kinda ridiculous to have to do that, but it might be the quickest path towards a "fix" at the rate Ford is going.

Only other thing I would suggest is see if you can loosen the posts the cables attach to. Is there enough play once loosened to tighten the cable if the posts are pushed against the holes they are in? If there is enough play and those posts/bolts are at opposite extremes it could be enough to cause one cable to be tight and one lose.

Has anyone measured the cables (with tension on them) to see if the cable lengths actually vary, or if its sloppy tolerances of the post/bolt locations?

Last edited:

Aparadox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if some maverick folks could get together and exchange cables for the same lengths? That is assuming the cables are not side specific. seems like everyone has a long and short one?

Maybe measure them and post the measurements to see if someone will exchange a cable with you. Seems kinda ridiculous to have to do that, but it might be the quickest path towards a "fix" at the rate Ford is going.

Only other thing I would suggest is see if you can loosen the posts the cables attach to. Is there enough play once loosened to tighten the cable if the posts are pushed against the holes they are in? If there is enough play and those posts/bolts are at opposite extremes it could be enough to cause one cable to be tight and one lose.

Has anyone measured the cables (with tension on them) to see if the cable lengths actually vary, or if its sloppy tolerances of the post/bolt locations?
I doubt we can do the swap. The left and right cables are made differently and apparently everyone is reporting left cables being too long....What this means is that go find any pair of cables, it's very likely the left one is longer.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you buy cables for this truck yet ?

I have cables on hand for my other trucks. They’re cheap and easy to replace. One cable will hold that tailgate for years likely. Just replace it when it breaks. Don’t harass the dealer

Sponsored

SDMavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You just linked this thread. Lol

Mikk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I doubt we can do the swap. The left and right cables are made differently and apparently everyone is reporting left cables being too long....What this means is that go find any pair of cables, it's very likely the left one is longer.
Thanks for the pictures. Nice truck!

I see what you mean. I bet when you put about 20 pounds on the tailgate they are both under load. But having said that, there is no reason you can't complain about it and ask the service department to take a look at it. Maybe they will order you a new cable (or two).
I put my 235 pounds on my tailgate and the left one was still loose as all heck!

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put my 235 pounds on my tailgate and the left one was still loose as all heck!
Need to gain some weight my friend :D

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was pleasantly surprised when I got my Mav last month and both tailgate cables are under tension when open; guess I got lucky. The tailgate has a slight droop when open but not as bad as some I've seen.
Sponsored