Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sportrac, 2022 Maverick
Trim
First Edition
Vehicle Showcase
So, you purchased the aftermarket tailgate softclose device. It works great, until it doesn't. What happens after a few months of opening and closing is that the cable starts to go behind the ball of the actuator when you close the tailgate. Then, when you go to open again it gets stuck and the tailgate does not fully open. The rubber will start to rub off the cable as well. For $1.98 and a few minutes of work, you can fix it yourself. I got a rubber stopper at Lowes just large than the ball of the actuator (that's the $1.98 part of this). I then drilled out the inside and cut a slit in the side. I pushed it over the ball and put a black zip tie on it to ensure it stays in place. That's it, it now works perfectly again and the cable "does not" got behind the rubber cap. I'm sure you geniuses have a 3-D printed "do-dad" that will do the same thing, but I don't so here's my fix...

t1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg
T4.jpg
T5.jpg
T6.jpg

T3.jpg

OP
OP
KHut

KHut

First Edition
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sportrac, 2022 Maverick
Trim
First Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Got it online, aftermarket. It was about $50 I think. Works great, until... Now works great again. It should have already been there, especially on the Lariat, But, it was easy to install.

Clarkdonbran

XLT
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Trim
XLT
So, you purchased the aftermarket tailgate softclose device. It works great, until it doesn't. What happens after a few months of opening and closing is that the cable starts to go behind the ball of the actuator when you close the tailgate. Then, when you go to open again it gets stuck and the tailgate does not fully open. The rubber will start to rub off the cable as well. For $1.98 and a few minutes of work, you can fix it yourself. I got a rubber stopper at Lowes just large than the ball of the actuator (that's the $1.98 part of this). I then drilled out the inside and cut a slit in the side. I pushed it over the ball and put a black zip tie on it to ensure it stays in place. That's it, it now works perfectly again and the cable "does not" got behind the rubber cap. I'm sure you geniuses have a 3-D printed "do-dad" that will do the same thing, but I don't so here's my fix...

t1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg
T4.jpg
T5.jpg
T6.jpg

T3.jpg
I will be on the lookout for this happening now. Thanks!

junyor

XLT
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Trim
XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I installed my tailgate assist with the damper in the upper side and the arm to the bottom, I noticed you installed it the other way, maybe that's why you were having the issue, Mine is working fine after 2 months of use.

Chris_G

XLT
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Trim
XLT
Hi, I installed my tailgate assist with the damper in the upper side and the arm to the bottom, I noticed you installed it the other way, maybe that's why you were having the issue, Mine is working fine after 2 months of use.
Damn, good catch!

Chris_G

XLT
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Trim
XLT

bbhaag

XLT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT, GMC Acadia Denali
Trim
XLT
Yep, I also have it installed the correct way and it is not showing any signs of wear like the OP is experiencing. I installed it on January 26th two day after I purchased the Mav.

Gullzway

Lariat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Trim
Lariat
This is from the Amazon page.

DEEZEE.jpg

jjonesatlus

Lariat