First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 F-350, 2 F-250, 4 escape, mustang, bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you get a chance to drive with the modes on let us know if they actually work and it is not just on in the ABS and cluster.
OK, went out and found some ruts and deep snow. Both modes disable traction control and pure ev. Deep snow/sand allows for major wheelspin. The little green downhill truck icon came on in rut/mud mode going downhill in ruts but it seemed about the same level of “engine” braking as eco mode. Does this sound like what happens in the ecoboost awd?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OK, went out and found some ruts and deep snow. Both modes disable traction control and pure ev. Deep snow/sand allows for major wheelspin. The little green downhill truck icon came on in rut/mud mode going downhill in ruts but it seemed about the same level of “engine” braking as eco mode. Does this sound like what happens in the ecoboost awd?
It is supposed to disable traction control in both those modes. That green truck icon I think has to do with hybrids charging system. Another test is to use the FX4 modes on a regular road. It should cause some vibration in the wheels.

If you have the equivalent of the intelligent AWD menu in the cluster. You should be able to monitor the power to the wheels that way in the cluster. It should be under the display option.

Did you check to see if the system is throwing any DTC codes afterwards. Sometimes when you change these settings it will throw at 1 time code in the PSCM module that needs to be cleared afterwards.

Last edited:

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just want to add that the fx4 modes were developed with AWD in mind to better balance power distribution between the front and back in adverse driving conditions. If you have a hybrid or FWD eco I don't see how these could provide an advantage and could possibly make traction much worse. Sand mode in particular could be a problem since you aren't supposed to even use it on a normal road due to the potential for drive train damage.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just want to add that the fx4 modes were developed with AWD in mind to better balance power distribution between the front and back in adverse driving conditions. If you have a hybrid or FWD eco I don't see how these could provide an advantage and could possibly make traction much worse. Sand mode in particular could be a problem since you aren't supposed to even use it on a normal road due to the potential for drive train damage.
Real world testing will be the ultimate deciding factor for that. My take is if Ford really thought this would damage a FWD they would have locked the drive modes to the drivetrain settings. I know I didn't state the obvious but anyone trying this mod assumes all the risks and responsibility to and for their vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This mod in my opinion just proves a point that the FX4 package was never about performance but about selling parts. It also proves at least for AWD that the parts in the FX4 package are not needed with the exception of the button for hill descent control for the supposed drive performance enhancements not available otherwise. The center console button with HDC costs about ~$70.

Now we need to come up with some FX4 decal to show off. Maybe call it FXpoor.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The snow mode is more of a braking trick to change rotation speed between inner and outer wheels. It does work in conjunction with AWD but the braking principle used can be applied without AWD.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Confirmed working on Lariat Lux with FX4.

LEGEND!!!!!
Great. Did you try the modes while driving too or just get them to set correctly in the cluster so far?

Reactions: bgn

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Works on hybrid fwd xl too!

E273E8B2-6A64-48C0-858A-4001F987FF1B.jpeg

DE0C3AB5-8419-4CCB-8AA5-2490624B285D.jpeg
Is there any way to have ECO as the default drive mode for the hybrid?

Can the order of the drive modes be changed so that on a hybrid ECO is the first one as maybe that position is what the default drive mode is?

I really dislike that I have to fumble and take my eyes off the road because I forgot to put it in ECO mode first before starting the drive.

mdl20813

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Tried on the road. Sport hauls!
So I just want to make sure I understand. Do you have all 6 modes available and shown in the cluster when you cycle them now or did you have to drop Mud & Sand to enable Eco & Sport? I have an FX4 and my dad just started using ForScan on his ‘22 F250 so the Mav is up next.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I just want to make sure I understand. Do you have all 6 modes available and shown in the cluster when you cycle them now or did you have to drop Mud & Sand to enable Eco & Sport? I have an FX4 and my dad just started using ForScan on his ‘22 F250 so the Mav is up next.
You can set it up either way. Follow whichever method first you want to do, then change the SDM codes accordingly based on that.

Just make sure to backup your ABS module settings before making the changes.

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
alright some one needs to make a youtube video on doing this :D