Sponsored

Battery life expectancy for hybrid Maverick?

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Hybrid
Engine
Undecided

The failure by Nissan to support newer packs in older cars is one of the reasons why I did not purchase a Leaf 6 odd years ago when I bought my first Fusion Hybrid. At the time you could get a 2010-2012 Leaf with a battery that only had under 30 miles of range for nothing. However the only option you had for a battery was either a NOS battery from Nissan for 5-7K, or rebuild the pack with old cells that had been tested. Nevermind the fact that the 2016 Model Year packs were basically direct bolt in, and all that was likely needed to support a 'new' battery in an old car was an ECU/BMS flash. Heck at the time I would have paid Nissan $15K to install a new 30kWh battery pack in an older Leaf if it had been an option.
Sponsored

Rxbike

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 XL Hybrid
I think the ICE portion of the system will fail before the battery if you do indeed drive your vehicle. Not driving your hybrid will be the issue with the battery. I've seen prius hybrid used as taxi in the seattle area that have logged 500k+ miles and most need the ICE engine replaced once or twice but never the a battery replacement

D Janke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat !
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Currently driving a 2011 Fusion Hybrid. At the 10 yr mark, the hybrid system showed that it was failing, and the battery wasn't charging anymore.
After researching if this was a common problem, I discovered that it appears that Ford programmed the on board computer to consider the hybrid system toast after 10 years, whether it actually was or not.
Folks were getting automotive computer service companies to re-program the onboard computer to tell it that the hybrid battery was only 1 year old, not 10, and it was working!
So I found a local company to come and do this reprogramming process on my Fusion Hybrid.
Whala, it worked! and that was a year ago.
96,500 miles on it and getting 40 mpg combined fuel / electric.

That's my story on "how long does the hybrid batter last".

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
... That's my story on "how long does the hybrid battery last".
So funny! My niece had a Honda Civic Hybrid with exactly the same issue at 10 years. She scrapped it rather than pay the quoted $10K battery replacement cost. Now I can't help wondering if this trick would have worked.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So funny! My niece had a Honda Civic Hybrid with exactly the same issue at 10 years. She scrapped it rather than pay the quoted $10K battery replacement cost. Now I can't help wondering if this trick would have worked.
The Honda Civic Hybrids had bad batteries. They went with a cheap Chinese company to make them, and owners paid for it.

Sponsored

D Janke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Kinda a low move on the part of the auto companies if you ask me. Yes, they would have loved to have gotten $7,000 out of me for a new battery.
My re-programming cost was $175, and it actually did the trick!

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Kinda a low move on the part of the auto companies if you ask me. Yes, they would have loved to have gotten $7,000 out of me for a new battery.
My re-programming cost was $175, and it actually did the trick!
A big chunk of the cost of a new battery install is labour, it takes a lot of time to do in some of the older models that were not purpose built as hybrids. I suspect labour costs would be lower on the newer purpose built vehicles.

If Ford truly programs the computer to work that way, I might want to think twice about out right ownership of any of their battery powered vehicles.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To be fair that was within the first few years of Ford using lithium batteries and deeply aged/depleted lithium ion batteries start to get temperamental. So that's why Ford likely programmed the battery management system to start reducing the pack usage at 8+ years to hedge on the safe side. I don't know if it's still a thing on the 2013+ generations.

D Janke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A big chunk of the cost of a new battery install is labour, it takes a lot of time to do in some of the older models that were not purpose built as hybrids. I suspect labour costs would be lower on the newer purpose built vehicles.

If Ford truly programs the computer to work that way, I might want to think twice about out right ownership of any of their battery powered vehicles.
I don't doubt the integrity of Ford to the point that I'd not order their hybrid.
In fact I have ordered the hybrid Mav. 10 years will get me to 74 yrs old, I'll make sure I
leave a note in the glove box with instructions on what to do in case this happens to it :)
That way the next owner will be able to handle it hehe.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

To be fair that was within the first few years of Ford using lithium batteries and deeply aged/depleted lithium ion batteries start to get temperamental. So that's why Ford likely programmed the battery management system to start reducing the pack usage at 8+ years to hedge on the safe side. I don't know if it's still a thing on the 2013+ generations.
Let's hope so, I feel leery enough just buying a Ford in the first place. Sorry Ford fans, that's just how I feel, whether it be a fear worth having or not. I've always owned Japanese vehicles, including my current 14 year old hybrid. Ordered the Maverick, but I'm watching the issues like a hawk, the long wait is actually a positive in my mind.

Sponsored

Cyberike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat hybrid lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Currently driving a 2011 Fusion Hybrid. At the 10 yr mark, the hybrid system showed that it was failing, and the battery wasn't charging anymore.
After researching if this was a common problem, I discovered that it appears that Ford programmed the on board computer to consider the hybrid system toast after 10 years, whether it actually was or not.
Folks were getting automotive computer service companies to re-program the onboard computer to tell it that the hybrid battery was only 1 year old, not 10, and it was working!
So I found a local company to come and do this reprogramming process on my Fusion Hybrid.
Whala, it worked! and that was a year ago.
96,500 miles on it and getting 40 mpg combined fuel / electric.

That's my story on "how long does the hybrid batter last".
I want to second this post. I have a 2012 Fusion hybrid (about 140,000 miles), and I heard on this forum that there was a software fix to the hybrid function getting phased out by the software. Symptoms included lower gas mileage because the ICE engine basically never kicked off, rougher starts from stop because the engine was being used instead of the motor even at low speeds, and noticing the engine stayed on during stops at traffic lights.

I talked to my local dealer (where I bought the car 10 years ago), and they were aware of the problem. I was told that I would have to go to a third party shop for the software fix, but they actually performed the fix at the dealer. It is a software update, PCM/BECM programming, with code EL001 miscellaneous electrical system repair, total actual cost $173.88

And it worked. Car is now smooth and powerful from a stop again, mileage has improved. Guys, this is not BS. My 10 year old hybrid still works great.

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
So after 8 years, when we have to pay for battery replacement, there is a lot of money and effort going into figuring out how to salvage and remanufacture EV batteries. by the time we need one, should be affordable options.
Also, EV battery design today typically allows for degradation over 8-10 years. Say a battery will lose 30% over 10 years, that 30% is added capacity in the design with software controlling the effective capacity. So a battery will not be overcharged at full (vs. the only charge to 90% and unplug of early EVs). But will continue to eat into the excess as needed as the battery ages to maintain performance. Once the battery eats up the excess capacity (lets say 10 yrs) then you will see actual performance degradation. But the battery is ALWAYS degrading over time. Those living in hot climates will see faster battery degradation. single best thing a person can do to increase battery life is to avoid long periods of parking in direct sun on hot days. (see graph from study on design of PHEV. Note dark green (hard to see) is reserve and is used to offset degradation. Link to Ohio State U research paper that this graph comes from. https://cecas.clemson.edu/~sonori/Publications/536.pdf
Ford Maverick Battery life expectancy for hybrid Maverick? 1645805776780-

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My wife's 08 Prius had almost 200k miles on the original batteries and was still going good when my son got rid of it last month.
My 2006 Prius has 189000 miles. The battery was changed under warranty. It is still getting about 45 mpg

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2006 Prius has 189000 miles. The battery was changed under warranty. It is still getting about 45 mpg
When was the battery changed? Just curious what happened (symptoms?) and when for it to be replaced.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When was the battery changed? Just curious what happened (symptoms?) and when for it to be replaced.
The battery just went dead with about 80000 miles on it. Toyota replaced it for free. I think there were several 2006 models that had a problem with the battery. Changed about 10 years ago.
Sponsored