Sponsored

Battery life expectancy for hybrid Maverick?

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what the life expectancy might be for the hybrid battery and what the cost will be to replace it?
My 2013 Insight has been a disappointment for me overall, but I've put 100k miles on it and haven't yet had issues with the hybrid system. The gas engine had a defect which required the pistons and rings to be replaced. I thank freaking gawd I got an extended warranty when I bought it with 17k miles on it.
Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Battery life expectancy for hybrid Maverick? 1628273171862

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

“P 12: (bottom of page) 2022 Ford Warranty found at https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...id-Warranty-version-2_frdwa_EN-US_12_2020.pdf
If an electrical drivetrain system component requires replacement under warranty, it may be replaced with a new, factory remanufactured, or factory refurbished component, at Ford’s discretion. Refurbished battery components selected for your vehicle will align with your vehicle’s age and mileage, and meet Ford’s stringent requirements and standards. (see Note: High-Voltage Battery Gradual Capacity Loss below).
Note: High Voltage Battery Gradual Capacity Loss
The high voltage battery will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use, similar to all batteries, which is considered normal wear and tear. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your Owner’s Manual for important tips on how to maximize the life and capacity of the high voltage battery.”
Does the replacement battery get a new warranty?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Does the replacement battery get a new warranty?
That is not the way I read it. If you have a 6yr old truck you get a battery equal to or better (their discretion) than what your 6yr old battery should have been. Warranty likely continues as if battery was not replaced.

My hybrid experience is with the HCH2 and it is the 2nd worst hybrid ever (HCH3 was worse) it’s battery packs were expected to last 75k and cost 3.2k to replace (Honda) or 2.5k (bumblebee refurb 75k warranty)

SeaMav206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Focus
But, obviously, weird stuff CAN happen. I once had to replace a transmission on a Honda Accord at 52k miles.
Tell me about it. I had to replace my automatic transmission at 42k miles on my 2002 Honda accord V6. Granted under warranty.

Also don't get me started on my Focus DCT how many clutches and tcm module replacements and reflashes I had to do. My focus is at 120k miles I went through 3 clutches, 3 tcm flashes and 1 whole transmission replacement all under warranty and extended warranty under the recall.

Family members had hybrids and drove hybrids which were all either Toyota or Honda and had no issues with the batteries what so ever.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
The key life test results are pushing 10 years old now, and seem to have been quite accurate in hybrid applications.
Ford Maverick Battery life expectancy for hybrid Maverick? Key Life Test Ford Results NiMH Li Ion

I'll ask folks to be careful which battery technology they are talking about. NiMH batteries wear out, while Li-ion last a long time unless abused. It turns out the hybrid application is the least abusive of automotive uses; BEV and PHEV both trade range for battery capacity, so they discharge deeply and spend a lot of time fully charged. A hybrid's battery spends its life near 50% charge most of the time. It's a buffer, not a source, and that makes all the difference when it comes to life.

Owners should expect the HVB in a Maverick hybrid to last as long as the truck does.

Zackg78

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford CMax
I have currently a 2014 Ford CMax with 146k miles. Battery is still strong and is showing no signs of degeneration. I believe if the car is used often, not sitting for a week before it is driven, the battery will stay fresh longer since it is actively charging as you are driving and braking.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The key life test results are pushing 10 years old now, and seem to have been quite accurate in hybrid applications.
Key Life Test Ford Results NiMH Li Ion.jpg

I'll ask folks to be careful which battery technology they are talking about. NiMH batteries wear out, while Li-ion last a long time unless abused. It turns out the hybrid application is the least abusive of automotive uses; BEV and PHEV both trade range for battery capacity, so they discharge deeply and spend a lot of time fully charged. A hybrid's battery spends its life near 50% charge most of the time. It's a buffer, not a source, and that makes all the difference when it comes to life.

Owners should expect the HVB in a Maverick hybrid to last as long as the truck does.
I understand, I really do. Heck my most recent degree is chemistry with nanoscale biophysics research for 3 years involving the utilization of magnetic fields and local charge densities to alter energy wells during the formation of certain nanoscale structures (working on targeted chemotherapy delivery mechanisms)

Or as my elevator pitch went: Hi I am Kelly I make really small drops.

Battery technology is rapidly evolving, but I have been overpromised and under delivered so many times, and lab data vs real world is very different. We went a year of making nanoscale drops before I finally said, we need a heated platform because something ain’t right. And we were right, the energy wells are so small that even having a pacemaker in the room screwed with results.

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Remember that California requires a 10 years and 150k mile warranty on all hybrid vehicle batteries. I dont expect Ford to sell two different versions of the hybrid maverick based on location. I would wager it will last at least 10 years and 150k or they might have some major warranty issues.

Hybrid battery replacements are much cheaper now than they were 10 or even 5 years ago as well. I believe the Prius battery costs around 1,500 dollars and can be replaced in under 1 hour. The Maverick is looking like it will be one of the most common hybrids sold in the US so there will be lots of options and manufactures producing replacement batteries when that time comes as its not a niche product like some hybrids are.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remember that California requires a 10 years and 150k mile warranty on all hybrid vehicle batteries. I dont expect Ford to sell two different versions of the hybrid maverick based on location. I would wager it will last at least 10 years and 150k or they might have some major warranty issues.

Hybrid battery replacements are much cheaper now than they were 10 or even 5 years ago as well. I believe the Prius battery costs around 1,500 dollars and can be replaced in under 1 hour. The Maverick is looking like it will be one of the most common hybrids sold in the US so there will be lots of options and manufactures producing replacement batteries when that time comes as its not a niche product like some hybrids are.
At 150k miles that means I will replace it at least 1 and likely 2x. I tend to drive vehicles until they are zombies from beyond the grave.

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Replacement cost? Less than 20k more than 1$? We won’t know for a bit.

warranty on the battery is considered a wear part and is only as per fords warranty manual
“
The electrical drivetrain system of your vehicle is covered by the
Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Unique Component coverage for eight years or
100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The components in the electrical
drivetrain system of your vehicle will vary, depending on whether your
vehicle is a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, but you can rest assured knowing that
your vehicle’s electrical drivetrain system is covered by this
comprehensive warranty. Depending on your vehicle, electrical drivetrain
system components covered by this warranty may include, and are not
limited to: high-voltage battery, high-voltage battery connector, battery
energy control module (BECM), on-board charger, inverter system
controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, hybrid continuously variable
transmission or electric driveline motor and transmission range sensor. If
an electrical drivetrain system component requires replacement under
warranty, it may be replaced with a new, factory remanufactured, or
factory refurbished component, at Ford’s discretion. Refurbished battery
components selected for your vehicle will align with your vehicle’s age
and mileage, and meet Ford’s stringent requirements and standards. (see

Note: High Voltage Battery Gradual Capacity Loss
The high voltage battery will experience gradual capacity loss with time
and use, similar to all batteries, which is considered normal wear and
tear. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity
loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your
Owner’s Manual for important tips on how to maximize the life and
capacity of the high voltage battery.”

Industry standard is 1-1.5k per kw.....The battery is just that.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The warrany is 8 year 100k on the battery

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The key life test results are pushing 10 years old now,
What is the Y-axis?

You know better than to send us data to drool over without units of measure :)