Sponsored

Battery life expectancy for hybrid Maverick?

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The warrany is 8 year 100k on the battery
The battery according to the state of California is part of the emissions system on hybrids and is subject to a 10 year 150k mile warranty in that state. The main drive system on these PZEV vehicles are also required to have a 15 year 150k mile warranty for those components. Again this is only in the state of California with the federal mandate being 100k.

Toyota for the 2020 model year and newer made their hybrid systems as 10 years 150k across the entire US not just California as mandated. My position is Ford is not going to make better batteries for vehicles sold in California thus all of the Maverick batteries should last 10 years or 150k miles at a minimum.
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
The battery according to the state of California is part of the emissions system on hybrids and is subject to a 10 year 150k mile warranty in that state. The main drive system on these PZEV vehicles are also required to have a 15 year 150k mile warranty for those components. Again this is only in the state of California with the federal mandate being 100k.

Toyota for the 2020 model year and newer made their hybrid systems as 10 years 150k across the entire US not just California as mandated. My position is Ford is not going to make better batteries for vehicles sold in California thus all of the Maverick batteries should last 10 years or 150k miles at a minimum.
That’s fine in California, for the rest of us we have to go by the Ford Warranty Manual

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
What is the Y-axis?
No idea, but I bet it's a proxy for battery capacity. This data is from an accelerated life test, where you sometimes do odd things to make things age faster.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At 150k miles that means I will replace it at least 1 and likely 2x. I tend to drive vehicles until they are zombies from beyond the grave.
Which means that if you drive your Maverick hybrid over 300,000 miles, you might have to spend $1,000 to $1,500 on a replacement battery, compared to whatever the you'd pay for stuff associated with an EcoBoost engine.

I mean, nobody cares what you put on your truck, but it might be worth it to you to factor in the amount of money you'll probably save on gas and repairs with a hybrid.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which means that if you drive your Maverick hybrid over 300,000 miles, you might have to spend $1,000 to $1,500 on a replacement battery, compared to whatever the you'd pay for stuff associated with an EcoBoost engine.

I mean, nobody cares what you put on your truck, but it might be worth it to you to factor in the amount of money you'll probably save on gas and repairs with a hybrid.
Umm I ordered a hybrid, or rather the foundation did. So I am not certain where your statement is coming from. Plus my personal vehicle is a hybrid, with over 300k miles.

My concern is that my personal hybrid can and still does run without the HVB. Reports are that the Maverick can’t even limp without it.

Being a charitable foundation, we have to plan for every dollar spent because it affects how many people we can assist. The foundation has a staff of 4, none of us draw a single dollar in pay. We are all disabled ourselves or care directly for someone who is. We literally give over 100% of donations back into the community because we often pay directly out of our own pockets.

Therefore, we want to plan for the replacement of batteries and know at the beginning of a financial year that we can’t spend that 1,600$ because in January we have to plan for replacement.

When you have to count on the generosity of donors who demand open and responsible accounting for everything, you look at it differently.

Sponsored

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Umm I ordered a hybrid, or rather the foundation did. So I am not certain where your statement is coming from. Plus my personal vehicle is a hybrid, with over 300k miles.

My concern is that my personal hybrid can and still does run without the HVB. Reports are that the Maverick can’t even limp without it.

Being a charitable foundation, we have to plan for every dollar spent because it affects how many people we can assist. The foundation has a staff of 4, none of us draw a single dollar in pay. We are all disabled ourselves or care directly for someone who is. We literally give over 100% of donations back into the community because we often pay directly out of our own pockets.

Therefore, we want to plan for the replacement of batteries and know at the beginning of a financial year that we can’t spend that 1,600$ because in January we have to plan for replacement.

When you have to count on the generosity of donors who demand open and responsible accounting for everything, you look at it differently.
Okay. But literally nothing in your previous comment mentioned any of that, and while we know a lot about hybrid technology, I can't see your life story based on one post.

I'm just saying that hybrid battery replacement is way down the list of expensive repairs you might face on any vehicle that you drive for 300,000 miles.

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've owned the same hybrid since 2012. It's my daily commuter. Odometer is sitting at 171,000 miles. I've had two software errors in that time span. Dealer reinstalled whatever updates it needed.

Other than that, the only things replaced on this vehicle so far are tires, oil, belts, spark plugs and a switch under the dash from a supply manufacture defect under warranty. Nothing else has been replaced. I'd call that a very reliable vehicle.

Last edited:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That is not the way I read it. If you have a 6yr old truck you get a battery equal to or better (their discretion) than what your 6yr old battery should have been. Warranty likely continues as if battery was not replaced.
So lets say Ford replaces a battery that is 6 years old, there is no warranty on the replacement battery? just sounds odd.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So lets say Ford replaces a battery that is 6 years old, there is no warranty on the replacement battery? just sounds odd.
If it is a 6 yr old vehicle with 72k miles on it, then they replace it with a battery, new or rebuilt that meets or exceeds whatever the expected output of a 6yr. 72k mile battery and it would have 2 years or 28k miles warranty remaining. (Except for this in the state of CA which has different laws)

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any replacement under warranty usually carries the balance of the original warranty. Example: if you have an 8 year warranty and the part is replaced at 7 years, you have 1 year left on your warranty, it doesn’t start over with the new or refurbished part.

Sponsored

HerrJavier

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hope not a dumb question….

can you connect a battery tender-maintainer to a hybrid?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope not a dumb question….

can you connect a battery tender-maintainer to a hybrid?
Sure, but it will be to your 12v. The Big Battery is different. On the Honda’s we rolled our own in efforts to stave off the dreaded pack failure or rebalance the cells, HCH2 owner SKeith did the most heavy lifting in this area.

I don’t even know how many cells are in the Mavericks packs yet.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Yep, the 12v is different. You'll have to replace it.

The HVB is different, too. Life of car part. You'll never replace it in these Ford hybrids.

Stop comparing battery technologies without stating the specifics of your comparison. It's just garbage-in otherwise.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, the 12v is different. You'll have to replace it.

The HVB is different, too. Life of car part. You'll never replace it in these Ford hybrids.

Stop comparing battery technologies without stating the specifics of your comparison. It's just garbage-in otherwise.
Stop kvetching every time I specifically mention it was in a different vehicle.

And your statement of it will never have to be replaced is BS. We’re that true Ford would not put the specific limits of the battery warranty being replacement of system age/range capacity matching replacement or better.

no it will not be the 75k of the Honda, but if I go 300k like I have in every other vehicle are you going to pay for the replacement that will never happen according to you?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Stop kvetching every time I specifically mention it was in a different vehicle.

And your statement of it will never have to be replaced is BS. ...
..., but if I go 300k like I have in every other vehicle are you going to pay for the replacement that will never happen according to you?
Start providing the context that makes your statements true, and I'll stop pointing it out.

Based on the models you've mentioned, you have experience with NiMH batteries. These batteries have a known life expectancy and will need replacement.

Do you have experience with Li-ion technology? Have Li-ion batteries ever failed in one of your hybrids?. We have had large numbers of C-Max drivers reach the 250K mile range with no negative impact on hybrid operation or achieved mileage. The issues with Li-ion involve high charge levels and high temperatures, both plug-in issues. A water cooled hybrid battery is unlikely to see either stress, and will function very well at 80% of new capacity.
Sponsored