First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Hybrid, 22 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My new Sonata has push button, got use to it in about 5 minutes, so dial should be ok.
Ford Maverick Anyone like the dial shifter? 1652099748339
Sponsored

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did this really happen? I would've assumed the safety nannies would disable the rotary knob after a certain speed is reached. My push button shifting Honda Pilot won't react if you hit a button going down the highway. It actually won't react if you don't have light pressure on the brake pedal as well, even if sitting still, except neutral, which you have to push & hold.
Yup happened to me when reaching to grab my cell phone. simply rubbed it and it changed gears. Way too easy to bump.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yup happened to me when reaching to grab my cell phone. simply rubbed it and it changed gears. Way too easy to bump.
How fast were you going? It changed from what to what?

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would suspect it could only be changed to neutral - certainly don't think it would shift into reverse! Probably only allowed if the pedals aren't engaged either. I can't be bothered to try either of these myself.

I actually like the shifter, I like that it isn't really defined and you can just give it a quick flick in one direction or the other - the only direction you need to look for is reverse (park to drive and vice versa just turn baby!)

Sponsored

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not a huge fan of it myself. Needing to count the clicks or to look at what letter lights up rather than a regular shifter where you can feel where it is quickly, and going from reverse to drive is a mere nudge instead of needing to grab the knob and twist. Even an old fashioned column shifter is more tactile. But with all that said, I'm happy they at least put Drive as the last setting, making "Low" as a button so all you have to do from reverse is crank that knob way more than you need to and it'll be in Drive so no need to count the clicks that way, but going from drive to reverse to back-in the truck I've accidentally put it into park many times, lol. Oh well. I think you'll just have to get used to it.

Fredvon4

Banned
Banned
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep grand cherokee
Took delivery May 6 2022. Of ALL the new things to get used to. The rotary shifter seemed natural to this old skoll stick shift guy. Of course I have been driving Jeep Cherokees the last 5 years .
Routine: get in, close door, start and wait for full boot up (<15secs) push auto stop start off, release e-brake, rotate to reverse or drive. Start journey. Out the front gate in under 45 seconds

Only annoyance applies to ALL cars/trucks with auto stop -start...must set off evey start cycle...just plain habit now

so Yes I have adapted and the rotary shifter, after 3 days, is now a habit with no eyes needed

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As mentioned at speed it should only go into neutral (I hope :) lol). When you have your foot on the brake you could easily bump it into reverse, neutral, or drive if you aren't careful though.

My complaint is simply that it switches too easily and it's in a terrible location next to where you put your drinks, phones, wallet, etc It shouldn't change gear just because someones hand rubs along it and it's even more likely because it's kind of grippy.

New cars are smarter than old cars luckily.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems to me the dial shifter is an aftermarket opportunity. I assume there's a bus wire leading to it. And that tells me some enterprising company could offer any kind of shifter control they wanted, as long as they send out the same signals to the bus. You could mount it anywhere in the truck, in any form factor. It should work fine.

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
I love the fact that I can push the start/stop button to turn off the engine and regardless of which gear I am in, the transmission magically goes into park. And if the Mav is on a slope, the parking brake engages. How cool is that!

Reactions: bgn
Sponsored

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My new Sonata has push button, got use to it in about 5 minutes, so dial should be ok.
1652099748339.png
I would prefer this to a dial.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I love the fact that I can push the start/stop button to turn off the engine and regardless of which gear I am in, the transmission magically goes into park. And if the Mav is on a slope, the parking brake engages. How cool is that!
So glad to hear you're enjoying your Maverick and all of its "magical" perks!

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ah, the continuing saga of the missing stiff shaft.

Last edited: