First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't like it. Just because you can do something doesn,t mean you should. But I,m 72 and think that automobiles have been going downhill since they took the headlights dimmer button off the floorboard. (A lot of you don't know it was ever there) doc
Sponsored

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't like it. Just because you can do something doesn,t mean you should. But I,m 72 and think that automobiles have been going downhill since they took the headlights dimmer button off the floorboard. (A lot of you don't know it was ever there) doc
I've had my truck three weeks and I still can't find the choke! :cool:

riverrat373

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Escape, 2009 Ford f150 Supercab 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Call me an innovator I just like things the way I like. not that you are wrong you are 100% in the wright, but just looking at it bothers me. I'm so used to having my hand on the shifter.
You can still put your hand on the shifter. It's just a bit lower now! :giggle:

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

i would like to ask all, does anyone like the diel shift. i personally do not like it. so I am on a mission to see if there is a way to put a hand held shift like an f150. does anyone agree. thank you
I just know I'm not going to like it. I've had my Buick for 6 years and I'm still reaching for the clutch. Feels right when I'm in my Miata with the baby clutch. That dial shifter looks weird too but, these days, there's so much weirdness this is just one more thing.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've had my truck three weeks and I still can't find the choke! :cool:
It's right next to the carburetor.
Just wait till the "check engine" light goes on. You're gonna pop the hood and go:
"Yep. Still there!"

Sponsored

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I remember. The oldest cat I've owned was a 1969 Mercury Monterey. Was pre-electronic ignition so it still had the points and condenser in the distributor. Hell I still remember when oil came in a can.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like it much better than my 2005 Sport Tracs column shifter personally.

.... they took the headlights dimmer button off the floorboard. (A lot of you don't know it was ever there) doc
My car has that, 68 Mustang. Fun to show that to people.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Our Chevy based motorhome (late 70's build, long gone now) had the button on the floor. Played with it when I was a kid pretending to drive while camping. Never seen it like that in a non-American made vehicle, always been on the light stalk.

Having driven a few trucks, and buses I can say I hate the shifter lever when it's mounted on the steering column, they are so finicky. I'd much rather just have a simple toggle on the steering wheel than the dial or the stalk, but I didn't design the Maverick, so I didn't get a say either. Guess I'll find out if I like it when mine comes in and I can test drive it. In reality it's such a small thing, that after a few weeks or a month it won't even be noticed anymore.

Things change, it's part of life. If nothing changed we'd all still be living in caves as hunter gatherers, because I'm sure someone said the same thing back then too. I suppose you'd rather have an old rotary dial phone on a party line too, because change is bad? :LOL:

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i would like to ask all, does anyone like the diel shift. i personally do not like it. so I am on a mission to see if there is a way to put a hand held shift like an f150. does anyone agree. thank you
No one likes it... Not older people and not younger people. I did an auto survey about 5 or 6 years ago and the subject was the gear selector. I got in about 5 different cars from different makers and different styles of gear selectors and I scored all the weird ones like rotory knobs the lowest and the standard gear shifter in the console the highest. After doing the survey, I asked the guy running it if the older people liked the standard shifters and the younger people liked the rotary knobs, etc. I expected him to say yes, but he said pretty much everyone liked the standard gear shifter and practically no one liked any of the "unconventional" shifters. I guess all that matters is the Auto makers like unconventional shifters!🤪

Sponsored

OdinStormfist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s vastly superior to GMC’s horrific push/pull button switch design in the GMC Yukon’s that is located in the dash area just off the right of the 2 o’clock position of the wheel.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
No, had one on a 300 and never liked it either.
I'd rather have Ann old Vertigate!

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
I remember. The oldest cat I've owned was a 1969 Mercury Monterey. Was pre-electronic ignition so it still had the points and condenser in the distributor. Hell I still remember when oil came in a can.
And those damn spouts that you would shank the oil cans with while hoping half the qt wouldn't leak all over your engine when adding it.
Had a dual point in a 327, it was easier to remove the distributor than changing the points and condenser in the vehicle!

Altivo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Altivo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
altivo.dreamwidth.org
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No one likes it... Not older people and not younger people. I did an auto survey about 5 or 6 years ago and the subject was the gear selector. I got in about 5 different cars from different makers and different styles of gear selectors and I scored all the weird ones like rotory knobs the lowest and the standard gear shifter in the console the highest. After doing the survey, I asked the guy running it if the older people liked the standard shifters and the younger people liked the rotary knobs, etc. I expected him to say yes, but he said pretty much everyone liked the standard gear shifter and practically no one liked any of the "unconventional" shifters. I guess all that matters is the Auto makers like unconventional shifters!🤪
Aww, I don't mind or dislike the dial, and I'm 72 years old. Yes, it's new and different. But so are hybrids and regenerative braking. Not to mention Android Auto making your phone a car accessory, or having a built in modem and hotspot wi-fi. CVT? Sure, why not?

I've had my XL hybrid for three weeks and I like it, learning curve and all.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't really care. It's not like a manual which I'm shifting all the time. I touch it maybe five times per trip. Big deal.
Sponsored