Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the investigation and fix. While a dumb design with no adjustment I won't be taking out the slack. Really doesn't bother me and I'm unlikely to have much of a load either in the bed or on the tailgate.
^^THIS^^ I don't get the heartburn over this at all. It droops a little - so what? I can't imagine a single scenario where this will be a problem during normal use over the lifetime of the vehicle. As long as it functions as designed and doesn't affect alignment in closed position - all good.

Remember, this is an economy vehicle designed with a FLEX bed.
Sponsored

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Next step was to remove the left taillight.
Did you check the right side? Maybe it wasn't welded in place and could be adjusted? Technically, you would only need to adjust one side?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would wait till someone designed an upgrade left cable making them even.
Or sell a "kit" of two with a left cable that is both slightly longer and slightly shorter than factory. That should fix everyone... well, except it would just make them even.

The other issue is sometimes the Maverick tailgates I have noticed are not even with the bed. As in if you lay a flat board on the bed, it should be even with the tailgate, but I see some tailgates go past horizontal and are dipped down a bit.
^^THIS^^ I don't get the heartburn over this at all. It droops a little - so what?
Its not a cosmetic issue if the cables can't support the weight evenly, then metal has to flex. Usually not great to be flexing steel.

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
Ok, I get that people might not be thrilled about it, but Ford tailgate cables have been like this for years. It's just cosmetic. Do a Google search for Ford tailgate cable adjustment you'll find people all over the F150 and Ranger forums saying the same thing.

ssm 21731 - f-150 - tailgate cable length variation
some 2009-2011 f-150 customers may be concerned if one tailgate support cable appears to have slack with the tailgate lowered. This condition may be present due to normal variations that occur within vehicle production. Slack in the affected support cable will be depleted when weight is applied to the tailgate. Tailgate load capacity is not compromised by this condition. Do not attempt vehicle service for this normal condition.

That was an SSM dated 2011, put out because of the wave of new complaints about tailgate cables on the (then) New 2009 F150s.

Not saying I like it, it just is what it is.

Sponsored

Doug Wildman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you check the right side? Maybe it wasn't welded in place and could be adjusted? Technically, you would only need to adjust one side?
The right is tack welded just like the left. A cable with a turn buckle adjuster would be nice. Maybe someone will create an aftermarket one.

Last edited:

Doug Wildman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could you not just Dremel out the connector on the short cable assuming there is still plenty of metal and it’s that bothersome?
Yes but the tailgate already looks like it hangs to low(not level with the bed).

track me

First Name
Soon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, / CRV
^^THIS^^ I don't get the heartburn over this at all. It droops a little - so what? I can't imagine a single scenario where this will be a problem during normal use over the lifetime of the vehicle. As long as it functions as designed and doesn't affect alignment in closed position - all good.

Remember, this is an economy vehicle designed with a FLEX bed.
I saw what you did there. Good one.

track me

First Name
Soon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, / CRV
Could you not add a twist to the long cable? Have not seen the cables being used, but I would think a 1/2 to full twist might not stress the cables too much.

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well if you look at it the way the Ford executives look at things. Making it TOUGH to fix is still Ford Tough. Try buying the service manual for the truck. Used to be under $75 to purchase the Ford Service Manual for a new vehicle, I know, I have bought six Fords since 1966. The current price for the complete 2022 Ford Maverick Service Manual SET, is over $2,000. Yep, they want to do all the service. And just try and get a Motors Manual for it.

Sponsored

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The nuts were very clearly spot-welded onto the body before it went through the paint shop. Most likely using a fixture or robot to position the nut. The tailgates are not hung onto the vehicles until after the bodies are painted. I have 30 years experience in an auto plant, so I am quite familiar with the processes. :)
Sounds to me like one of the robot welders is hitting the tequila a little too hard on the weekends...;)

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well if you look at it the way the Ford executives look at things. Making it TOUGH to fix is still Ford Tough. Try buying the service manual for the truck. Used to be under $75 to purchase the Ford Service Manual for a new vehicle, I know, I have bought six Fords since 1966. The current price for the complete 2022 Ford Maverick Service Manual SET, is over $2,000. Yep, they want to do all the service. And just try and get a Motors Manual for it.
Good grief, most people aren't ever going to want a service manual. Even if I had one, I still would not feel qualified to do most of the work. And so much of what exists on modern vehicles either requires specialized tools and/or high-tech equipment for reading and calibrating. Unfortunately, wrenching on a 2022 truck is nothing like wrenching on a 1980 truck. I'm OK paying a professional to service my vehicles.

OP
OP

Mikk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did not check the right side. Since the tailgate already slopes down a bit when open, I picked raising the left over lowering the right.

OP
OP

Mikk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could you not add a twist to the long cable? Have not seen the cables being used, but I would think a 1/2 to full twist might not stress the cables too much.
Both cables were exactly the same length.
Sponsored