Boomerang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid base on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve read a ton of threads and there is alotnof variation. Even saying the ecoboost will “only” get 25mpg and the hybrid at 40mpg I’m calculating a 5000$ difference over 100,000 miles. All else equal I’d rather save 5k but have some questions.
1. I think my ecoboost will more likely get built and built a lot sooner.
2. 70% of my miles are 75mph on gently rolling highway basednon the threads the delta for the hybrid will be much less at these speeds
3. This vehicle will be used for a disabled person with medical conditions that requires alotnof idling and air condition use. As much as 5-10hours per week. Is there a preference between the hybrid and ecoboost for heavy idling?
4. maybe based on opinions of #3 above I may change my mind but I’m thinking of going with what will have the most longevity. I don’t trade carsin and usually run them to 175-250k. Is there a preference between the drivetrains on longevity and maintenance costs?
Sponsored

JesTr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SEL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Based on your info, you should get an Eco. More likely to be built. Also hybrid gets 33 mpg on highway where Eco gets 30 mpg (29 mpg awd). Fuel savings for highway driving not significant.

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT 2.0 4K, 1999 & 2000 5.0 AWD Mountaineers
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the days are gone of the 300,000 mile drive trains. Having said that, I think a well treated EB 2.0 and trans would more likely last longer without a large maintenance ticket like replacing the battery maybe at 150,000 miles. I have an EB 2.0 in a 2020 Escape and at 250 HP, it has been a lot of fun to drive and average is showing 26.6 mpg over the last 4,000 miles with a ~ equal mix of highway and city driving. I get a little different number than you on the savings, at $5/gal (seems a reasonable assumption as an average over the next 8-10 years) I get ~$6,500 delta. That might pay for a new battery and then some. Maybe someone can answer your question 3 and that would be the deciding factor, as you say.

OP
OP

Boomerang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the days are gone of the 300,000 mile drive trains. Having said that, I think a well treated EB 2.0 and trans would more likely last longer without a large maintenance ticket like replacing the battery maybe at 150,000 miles. I have an EB 2.0 in a 2020 Escape and at 250 HP, it has been a lot of fun to drive and average is showing 26.6 mpg over the last 4,000 miles with a ~ equal mix of highway and city driving. I get a little different number than you on the savings, at $5/gal (seems a reasonable assumption as an average over the next 8-10 years) I get ~$6,500 delta. That might pay for a new battery and then some. Maybe someone can answer your question 3 and that would be the deciding factor, as you say.
You are right on the number I calculated at 4$ and figured maybe 6mo less driving my 12mpg v10 f250.

xplorguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Veloster N
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on your info, you should get an Eco. More likely to be built. Also hybrid gets 33 mpg on highway where Eco gets 30 mpg (29 mpg awd). Fuel savings for highway driving not significant.
Good logic here. The ICE Mav will likely get built within 8 months and serve your needs well....the Hybrid: better than 50/50 no build at all and no real advantage for your needs and driving experience.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve read a ton of threads and there is alotnof variation. Even saying the ecoboost will “only” get 25mpg and the hybrid at 40mpg I’m calculating a 5000$ difference over 100,000 miles. All else equal I’d rather save 5k but have some questions.
2. 70% of my miles are 75mph on gently rolling highway basednon the threads the delta for the hybrid will be much less at these speeds
3. This vehicle will be used for a disabled person with medical conditions that requires alotnof idling and air condition use. As much as 5-10hours per week. Is there a preference between the hybrid and ecoboost for heavy idling?
4. maybe based on opinions of #3 above I may change my mind but I’m thinking of going with what will have the most longevity. I don’t trade carsin and usually run them to 175-250k. Is there a preference between the drivetrains on longevity and maintenance costs?
To answer No. 3: it won't matter. Extended A/C use will kick on the ICE either way. The battery in the hybrid isn't big enough for extended A/C use.

Keep in mind, you will have to futz around with the settings. The vehicle will turn itself off if you leave it just idling for too long, even with you in it.

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

From what I read on your thread, you would be better off with a Hybrid. The problem is getting one. Ford keeps sending Emails stating Hybrids are becoming hens teeth to get. Since you both keep cars longer, and spend lots of idling, I would look for one that a dealer has, and try to get it as close to MSRP as possible. Leave your name with a local dealer, and see what happens.

getlib

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're not using the power/towing advantages of ecoboost, the hybrid is the smarter play. Trying to guess which version will deliver a few months sooner will seem negligible compared to 10 years of ownership and 200,000 miles experience. Hybrid/cvt drivetrains put low stress on components and last longer than your needs. Ecoboost is great for power. Hybrid's can pump AC when the engine isn't even turning. As for driving experience, personally i prefer the immediate torque of the additional electric motor, and the smooth shift-less transmission.

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are in a box. My neighbor drives his hybrid on the highway and he get 40 miles per gallon. My 2.0 eco gets up 30/MPG On the highway. My combined MPh is 28. Both of these numbers are calculated from receipts. I feel either truck is a good choice.

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which scares you more when the warranty is a distant memory:
Potentially replacing the hybrid batteries?
Or a Ford direct injection / turbo EB engine after 200k miles?

It seems the EB is happier when it's run for longer periods. It doesn't appear to like short trips that don't allow the engine to warm up completely. If your trips are longer, especially if you live in a colder climate, the EB may be the ticket, especially since it's looking like getting an EB built is going to be easier in the foreseeable future. That being said, I doubt you'd be dissatisfied with either option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the window for choosing one's engine has closed by this point in time. Can '23 order holders change the powertrain in their existing order?

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're in a least bit of a hurry I'd stay with the EcoBoost.

I did not see anything about towing...needing an EcoBoost. Five friends and I ordered Maverick in the same week...I was the only holdout for a Hybrid. For me plenty of power and in summer months its 90-105 degree and the A/C is always on, and have hauled 1,500 lbs on a trailer with ease, with full A/C running with no issue. After 6,000 miles of lots of freeway trips have never gotten below 40 MPG on freeways, except pulling a heavy trailer it is at 32 mpg. Without doubt the Hybrid will be better on maintenance, brakes, since much of the braking is Hybrid engine braking, and the Hybrid Electric takes a significant part of the engine work.

4 of the 5 friends, have test driven my Hybrid multiple times, have already placed their orders for 2023 Hybrids, knowing they can sell their Eco's pretty close to MSRP. The one hold out with the EcoBoost has to pull a camper and needs the Eco. The Hybrid Coach screen shows you when the ICE comes on and off, and in my case hilly terrain easily hits 48 mpg, A/C & Heater in the Hybrid do cost about 1.6 miles per gallon, barely noticeable...

I really like getting 40 to 49 mpg....working in the petro industry I'm confident gas prices will never go significantly downward in price, refinerys will make sure of it. Only way I'd switch from my Maverick Hybrid is if Ford comes out with a Maverick Plug-in Hybrid like Volvo did.

Concern over Maverick battery? Maverick has an 8 year replacement warranty, new Hybrid battery =$2,300, and I won't keep most vehicles that long

Last edited:

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My commute is almost all highway and I am getting 40 mpg.

xlt-doug

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick (soon) Escape (current)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve been waiting 12 months for my ecoboost and still not here. If you want a stripped down truck in 6 months then go for it. Gas model can get you AWD, higher towing or FX4 packages. If you stress gas prices and live in the south then get a hybrid. You can’t order one till next year anyway

OP
OP

Boomerang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which scares you more when the warranty is a distant memory:
Potentially replacing the hybrid batteries?
Or a Ford direct injection / turbo EB engine after 200k miles?

It seems the EB is happier when it's run for longer periods. It doesn't appear to like short trips that don't allow the engine to warm up completely. If your trips are longer, especially if you live in a colder climate, the EB may be the ticket, especially since it's looking like getting an EB built is going to be easier in the foreseeable future. That being said, I doubt you'd be dissatisfied with either option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the window for choosing one's engine has closed by this point in time. Can '23 order holders change the powertrain in their existing order?
I ordered one of each. Probably will get some heat on here but it was only a 500$ refundable deposit.
Sponsored