Sponsored

Shuddering Hybrid

Deleted member 1483

When truck accelerates it shudders
Textbook cv issue. Currently I am using mine in eco mode as the lower load mitigates that issue somewhat. My dealer ordered me a new axel.

mine is drivable; but I don’t want to push it until I get it fixed. Fingers cross the parts come in quickly as I would like to have full use of my truck when I’m merging on the highway

Maverickshudder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Makin, good advice, i have been running ECO mostly since I bought the Mav, trying to determine if i can pull down 700mpt without using ECO.

My shuddering comes in when deacceleration, after a second of regen, like its going to change mode/gear ratio.

Heres the kicker, does it without ICE running. I will recheck to make sure, yes i need to take notice which mode, when its shuddering, etc.

It did not do this when new out to about 4000m. Since then its getting worse.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s 100% what it is but hopefully they are replacing the whole axel.

Hopefully the replacement isn’t prone to pre-mature wear.
First I've heard that it might be an axle problem. Wondering how you discovered this.

Deleted member 1483

First I've heard that it might be an axle problem. Wondering how you discovered this.
My hybrid was having an issue shuddering only under load.

I looked into it and a YouTuber had the same issue and it ended up being cv joint or axel failure. His dealer confirmed.

The symptoms fit especially the “on acceleration only” it doesn’t shudder just cruising.

My dealer thought it might be the transmission mount but replacing did not mitigate the issue. As far as I know they ordered me a replacement cv axel.

edit: the poster having an issue on deacceleration too is likely a different issue

Last edited by a moderator:

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid was having an issue shuddering only under load.

I looked into it and a YouTuber had the same issue and it ended up being cv joint or axel failure. His dealer confirmed.

The symptoms fit especially the “on acceleration only” it doesn’t shudder just cruising.

My dealer thought it might be the transmission mount but replacing did not mitigate the issue. As far as I know they ordered me a replacement cv axel.

edit: the poster having an issue on deacceleration too is likely a different issue
This is very interesting and good information. Lots of discussion has been made over the transmission mount causing the shudder, but clearly, if a replacement didn't solve it then we need to look elsewhere . . . thus the axle. Thanks for posting. Let us know if the axle replacement solves the problem.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Mine is FOR SURE shuddering during engine shut off. FOR SURE.

SOMETIMES it clunks and clanks during shut off. Could be described as a rattle during shut off.

It does it if the truck is standing still.
Not an axle problem.
So for sure two different issues discussed here.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's getting annoying. I'm now trying to keep the engine on as much as possible. Tow/haul and Sport keep the engine on while moving, but it still stops the engine at stop signs and stop lights so I can't avoid all the shuddering events.

I don't notice shuddering with the engine running. Or accelerating.

In the generation one hybrids you could keep engine on by turning air conditioning on. Now that this has gone electric, that trick no longer works.

Sigh.....

Sponsored

Stock411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's getting annoying. I'm now trying to keep the engine on as much as possible. Tow/haul and Sport keep the engine on while moving, but it still stops the engine at stop signs and stop lights so I can't avoid all the shuddering events.

I don't notice shuddering with the engine running. Or accelerating.

In the generation one hybrids you could keep engine on by turning air conditioning on. Now that this has gone electric, that trick no longer works.

Sigh.....
Get in touch with your dealer, another member had these symptoms and it turned out to be a damper in between the engine and transmission in the hybrid system.

Reactions: Dad

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Have an appointment.
This is my guess also, damper.

mritchie77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F-150, 2010 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey guys, haven't been on much since we got our Maverick back in September, but at 9007 miles I had the dreaded dampener issue.

At 70 miles an hour the truck went into limp mode (sudden loss of power) with the red flashing "stop safely now" message. Pulling codes showed P0811, P0E71, and a third (forget). All pointed to the dampener.

Dealer called today and said yep, it's the dampener and it's going to take at least a week for the parts to come in and several days for the repair since the engine/transmission have to come out. Didn't even make it to the first oil change (33% oil life left) before we had a major problem!

• Wow
Reactions: Dad

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey guys, haven't been on much since we got our Maverick back in September, but at 9007 miles I had the dreaded dampener issue.

At 70 miles an hour the truck went into limp mode (sudden loss of power) with the red flashing "stop safely now" message. Pulling codes showed P0811, P0E71, and a third (forget). All pointed to the dampener.

Dealer called today and said yep, it's the dampener and it's going to take at least a week for the parts to come in and several days for the repair since the engine/transmission have to come out. Didn't even make it to the first oil change (33% oil life left) before we had a major problem!
My understanding is yes, must be removed.

mritchie77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F-150, 2010 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is yes, must be removed.
That's correct. This is my first hybrid (and CVT) so I had to look up what the dampener was. Looks like a fancy name for what amounts to a manual/clutch or auto/torque converter. Definitely going to have to remove the whole unit to replace.

Glad it's under warranty as I wouldn't want to have to do it. Many more hoses, wires, etc than the last engine I pulled on a 2010.
Sponsored