Hybrid Mileage

Poolguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2013 F150, 1961 F100 Unibody short
I've had my Maverick for 2 weeks now and put over 800 miles on it so far. I'm up to averaging 48 MPG around town. It's been improving as I get used to driving a Hybrid. I noticed that if I keep the power usage under 10%, as shown on the gauge on the left of the dash, the gas engine usually won't come on and my mileage goes up. However, it makes for slow acceleration and impatient drivers behind me. I want to know if there is a way that I can change the settings to allow me to go to 15% or even 20% before the gas engine comes on. I could then get the great gas mileage with a little more giddy up.
Sponsored

DragonSpirit76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger 2016 (Sold to get Maverick)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my Maverick for 2 weeks now and put over 800 miles on it so far. I'm up to averaging 48 MPG around town. It's been improving as I get used to driving a Hybrid. I noticed that if I keep the power usage under 10%, as shown on the gauge on the left of the dash, the gas engine usually won't come on and my mileage goes up. However, it makes for slow acceleration and impatient drivers behind me. I want to know if there is a way that I can change the settings to allow me to go to 15% or even 20% before the gas engine comes on. I could then get the great gas mileage with a little more giddy up.
I think the computer is the one that decides and there is no settings that we the driver can change. I could be wrong, but is what one video I saw had said.

OP
OP

Poolguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope someone figures out how to hack the computer.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sport mode gives more power but will kill your MPG.

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Which drive mode are you using? Eco or normal?

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The truck has a 1.1kWh battery pack. It's not really going to be able to do more than it's already doing unless you're going to "hack" some additional kWh into the battery.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The point at which it will start the ICE also depends on battery SoC. If you switch to the EV Coach gauge mode you should be able to see how much throttle input you can give before the demand will start the ICE.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Get up to speed quicker and just ease off

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope someone figures out how to hack the computer.
and if you do that, the first time you take it in for a recall or for service Ford will tell you that your warranty is voided. But hey, it's your truck.

In our state, CA, when smog check becomes due, they have a check sum code that will tell them that the computer was modified and no pass smog and no registration issued.

These things are coming to more states and dealers, you can count on it

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are already exceeding epa so you have leaned how to drive a hybrid more efficiently so pat yourself on the back. I'm not there yet with the Maveric but am there with our 2016 Prius. Best to get up to speed quicker then get off the throttle than piss off people behind you. Prius drivers learned that years ago. You call them impatient, that is the norm now days. Blend in.

You can't have more giddy up without getting less gas mileage. Reduce drag and weight might get you some.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Poolguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good advice from all of you. I use eco mode. I can't complain about the mileage I'm getting. Its more than triple my F150.