First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does the Maverick have an alternator? In my IMA Honda crz the electric motor was the alternator and the starter too. They essentially put an electric motor between the ICE and the trans. Although it did have a standard starter for very cold days. Think I heard that engage twice with 250k on it until I wrecked it. Sorry if this was posted elsewhere.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow electric ac, power steering and water pump too? too? Interesting.

Lombardidm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 2016 Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You might want to review this extensive video discussing the operation of the Ford Hybrid Transaxle (CVT transmission) that includes a starter/ generator internal that both starts the gas motor and provides battery charging and electrical power. Helps explain answer your question and see that it's not all that new of an idea.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Obligatory complementary video more about the drive modes and how the ICE interacts with the other eCVT components.

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks Very informative. I did not order a hybrid but if I get pushed to my23 I may change my order.

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
In place of an alternator, there's a DC/DC stepdown converter capable of about 250a of 14v output. It uses the 300v of the hybrid battery/powertrain to charge the 12v battery and power the standard 12v electronics.

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In place of an alternator, there's a DC/DC stepdown converter capable of about 250a of 14v output. It uses the 300v of the hybrid battery/powertrain to charge the 12v battery and power the standard 12v electronics.
Interesting word choice. I feel you missed an opportunity to say that your hybrid maverick is a transformer 😎

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
In my IMA Honda crz the electric motor was the alternator and the starter too.
I had a 2012 CRZ Auto base; very fun car, want another one just cuz....

Honda used a very simple hybrid design compared to most others by basically separating a traditional ICE and CVT combo and inserting a single 4 inch thick low voltage pancake electrical motor/generator allowing it to fit right back into most engine bays via only different motor mounts. The ICE still retains the 12v battery and starter as a backup.

PRO’s: more simple than other HEV designs, cheap(er), and vehicle still works “OK” if EV system is down or turned off via breaker switch. BTDT. MUCH better start/stop feature than regular ICE cars. Can be used with manual transmissions (big deal in some applications).

CONS: less fuel efficient, lesser EV experience, still takes up room, added complexity. Old school belt CVT worse than a modern E-CVT. First designs still had a belted ICE driven A/C and to shift that load to the EV side requires a much bigger, more robust battery design.

FWIW

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cool I loved mine 42 mpg with 250k miles. Only 2 seats but plenty of room for groceries and such. Parked it next to my buds Fiat Arbarth and the CRZ looked huge. I wrecked it insurance gave me 7k. If I don't get my Mav soon I may look for a used CRZ.

Peter Lukasch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 GMC S15 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You might want to review this extensive video discussing the operation of the Ford Hybrid Transaxle (CVT transmission) that includes a starter/ generator internal that both starts the gas motor and provides battery charging and electrical power. Helps explain answer your question and see that it's not all that new of an idea.

Peter Lukasch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 GMC S15 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After watching the video, I now understand how the different gearing is achieved on the Mavericks CVT Trans. The light came on when it was mentioned that the #1 electric drive motor actually reversed direction to give the overdrive ratio. It really is a marvel of engineering, and yet simple in operation with very few wear points or friction adders. Light years ahead of an 8 speed clutch-pac automatic trans, or worse yet conventional CVT trans. Just don't try to pull your 25' 5th wheel with it.

DannyUncanny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the Maverick have an alternator? In my IMA Honda crz the electric motor was the alternator and the starter too. They essentially put an electric motor between the ICE and the trans. Although it did have a standard starter for very cold days. Think I heard that engage twice with 250k on it until I wrecked it. Sorry if this was posted elsewhere.
Ford and Toyota use the same CVT hybrid architecture where the gas engine is mated to two digitally commutated (brushless) electric motors via some planetary gears with no clutches or torque converters.

One electric motor acts as the starter and assist motor contributing to the forward power.

The other electric motor acts as a generator and alternator, adding braking torque to the engine and charging up the high voltage battery. The 12V battery is then charged off of the high voltage battery from a converter.

By controlling the torque on both of these motors, the gas engine RPM can be controlled precisely regardless of engine power output or wheel speed.
Sponsored