GonnaGetItOneDay

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento (sold in September)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires they're top rated for snow and rain -- had them before they're awesome tires. Checkout consumer reports mag-
Better than blizzaks? I won't have to worry about snow tires this year as my truck is set to arrive beginning of March but I figured I would be getting some next winter and was under the impression that blizzaks were king.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even on FWD vehicles some weight in the rear can help keep the rear tires from losing traction. Not motive traction, but you still don't want the rear end breaking free when you're slowing down or cornering.

Ideally the best place to stack any ballast would be the front of the bed as being closer to the middle it's then distributed to both wheels.

MAVERICK ST

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7.3 Powerstroke Roush Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Concerning this, Looking for a friend..... i am going to put 75lb sandbags in the bed of my maverick. Im thinking probably 4-6. I would like to add some weight to help get some traction, or grip on some tough spots where i live that is completely snow covered. Now i know its crazy, but i also ordered A/T BF goodrich Trail Terrain tires for my hybrid as well. What are your thoughts on sandbags to help add weight to the back?
With the addition of traction control and anti-lock brakes cars and trucks have come along way. All weight will do is reduce HP and MPG. You might have extra weight with the spate tire if you have one.

23MAVLariatAWD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RECEIVED '23 Hybrid Lariat Mav Oxford White BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Better than blizzaks? I won't have to worry about snow tires this year as my truck is set to arrive beginning of March but I figured I would be getting some next winter and was under the impression that blizzaks were king.
Checkout comparisons in Consumer Reports they break it down in detail awesome manner-

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BFG all terrains are not all that good in really cold weather in snow and ice conditions. The difference between those and what comes stock on the maverick might be an improvement. But NOTHING like adding a set of dedicated winter weather tires like the Blizzak. Not only does the tread design work on ice, but the tire compound is MUCH better suited to cold temperatures.

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Ellebob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Definitely snow tires if worried about winter driving. I am on technical rescue team and always in the mountains. My front wheel drive minivan with good snows gets places the guys on the team with trucks and SUVs can't with all season tires. Obviously, if you have 4WD or AWD with snows is best for winter but FWD does very well with snow tires.
My hybrid Mav will hopefully be here in March as well and I will wait until next season for snow tires.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Adding sand bags is for RWD trucks so that you have weight on the driving wheels. With a FWD truck the engine is putting the weight on the driving wheels, adding sandbags won't help you get better traction one bit.
You could strap them on the hood to get extra traction😂

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tacking onto this thread…

Factory 18” Michelin tires, slogged through 7-hours of 9*F Lake Effect Snow on I-94 eastbound from Chicago to Jackson Michigan on Christmas Eve. ‘Normal’ is @ 3.5 hours.

‘Slippery’ mode worked well, could feel a difference from ‘normal’, mostly in the response when gas pedal was lifted.

FWD got ‘greasy’ only a couple times, traction broke free on icy/slick pavement for a split second, just enough for the stomach to react with “uh oh!”.

The pic shows how The Truck looked upon return, looking like a truck…

Ford Maverick FWD HYBRID 01A7F023-33B1-4EA2-B74B-FA4319AAA43B

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or you could try it if your problem is fish tailing in the snow. It might give more friction between the back tires and the road surface. If it doesn’t help then Oh we’ll you tried:)
But that would mean more potential energy that turns into kinetic energy if you do fish tail. I'd leave it as is unless you want a small bag of grit for traction. Plus, from my experience, the FWD Maverick doesn't have any issues with fish tailing on slick roads.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In MOST vehicles adding weight to the bed, nearest the cab would help, even in a FWD.
But you need to add the weight forward of the rear axle. Hard to do in the short bed of the Maverick.

Sand (or cement blocks, they are cheap and cleaner) inside the cab would help more. 😎

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Concerning this, Looking for a friend..... i am going to put 75lb sandbags in the bed of my maverick. Im thinking probably 4-6. I would like to add some weight to help get some traction, or grip on some tough spots where i live that is completely snow covered. Now i know its crazy, but i also ordered A/T BF goodrich Trail Terrain tires for my hybrid as well. What are your thoughts on sandbags to help add weight to the back?
I think I worked out a solution for you
Ford Maverick FWD HYBRID 1672336708067

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

And hey, keeps the sun out of your eyes too.
Sponsored