Sponsored

2.5L Hybrid

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
Since we aren't buying the maverick hybrid for the race track I hadn't really thought about acceleration too much. But in the past week I drove a 15 forester with the base engine and that thing feels slow. Looks like its 0-60 in 9 seconds. I'm hoping that since the Maverick has a different hybrid system than the Escape and Ford has figured out how to make it slightly quicker. Looks like other small SUV hybrid SUVs are in the 7 second range so it has to be possible.

Does anybody know how hybrids do accelerating to pass at highway speeds? I'm guessing the gas engine is doing most of the work there.
The biggest thing Iā€™ve noticed people have a hard time getting over is the engine not rising and falling with the change of gear found in a ā€œnormalā€ transmission. If you donā€™t understand how a hybrid drivetrain works it might sound like the car was stuck in a single gear. Itā€™s just so different from what you are used to that it sounds kinda off, like something isnā€™t right.
Sponsored

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
Since we aren't buying the maverick hybrid for the race track I hadn't really thought about acceleration too much. But in the past week I drove a 15 forester with the base engine and that thing feels slow. Looks like its 0-60 in 9 seconds. I'm hoping that since the Maverick has a different hybrid system than the Escape and Ford has figured out how to make it slightly quicker. Looks like other small SUV hybrid SUVs are in the 7 second range so it has to be possible.
For those of you that want performance, you can buy the ecoboost. You are not going to get a high performance vehicle that gets 40 mpg for 20k.

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry to hear about the Vega purchase but you are spot on with the Motor Trend COTY award. Vega
the ā€œ poor mans Camaroā€ as my friend put it at the time. He drove a ā€˜73 Ford Pinto Squire wagon ( wood grain siding and all), but we wonā€™t go there!
The crux of the matter is like you laid out. All new vehicles will have design flaws and highlights as we all know. It takes those willing to stick their necks out and run with the new product in order for the manufacturer to see what needs to be tweaked.

I am willing to try new products if they have proven sub components with a track history. ECVT may fit into this this category as it has been out there for a bit. Ford is building to a price point and that may make me stand back and hold onto my wallet with a wait and see outlook. I am earnestly hoping the Maverick hits itā€˜s mark and proves to be a winner so that I can jump in with some confidence. You pay your money and take your chances.I have high hopes for Ford and this product launch..... āœ”šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

Last edited:

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
I read a lot of bad stories about CVT in general. I got my first car with CVT and I do no care at all about it. If fact I like the fact it has dual personality when slow acceleration it works as CVT, but moderate one - it works as 8 speed auto. Of course, I would not want it in the Corvette as it would take all the fun when normal 6,8-speed auto transmission shifts. But there is nothing wrong with CVTs in econoboxes.
On hybrids the engine is very quiet anyway, so even low volume radio will mask it, so you will learn not to use engine noise for anything rather quickly.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
I read a lot of bad stories about CVT in general. I got my first car with CVT and I do no care at all about it. If fact I like the fact it has dual personality when slow acceleration it works as CVT, but moderate one - it works as 8 speed auto. Of course, I would not want it in the Corvette as it would take all the fun when normal 6,8-speed auto transmission shifts. But there is nothing wrong with CVTs in econoboxes.
On hybrids the engine is very quiet anyway, so even low volume radio will mask it, so you will learn not to use engine noise for anything rather quickly.
It is NOT a cvt in the Maverick. It is an ECVT. Huge difference.

Sponsored

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These components have been tried and true. They have been updated but basically the same units. Itā€™s a parts bin truck. The chassis is a C2 which has been used worldwide for a little while now. The drivetrain has a long history. The engine dates back to the original Mazda 3. The Mazda MZR engine is one of the greatest 4 cylinder engines ( my opinion) ever produced for the public. It has a long racing history. Other parts come from the Escape and Bronco Sport so I hope this wonā€™t have the normal first year problems.šŸ¤ž

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These components have been tried and true. They have been updated but basically the same units. Itā€™s a parts bin truck. The chassis is a C2 which has been used worldwide for a little while now. The drivetrain has a long history. The engine dates back to the original Mazda 3. The Mazda MZR engine is one of the greatest 4 cylinder engines ( my opinion) ever produced for the public. It has a long racing history. Other parts come from the Escape and Bronco Sport so I hope this wonā€™t have the normal first year problems.šŸ¤ž
The engine was also used in the Miata for years, and one thing owners love about their Miatas is dependability!

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A cursory search on Ford's HF35 transmission reveals A LOT of PROBLEMS.

I don't like what I am reading; the internet abounds with bad info, much as the unit that was put into the Taurus - a notorious failure.
I know that "your mileage may vary" but, for what its worth, my wife had a 2013 cmax and never had problems with it. I still drive a 2012 ford escape awd hybrid with 150K miles on it and, knock on wood, it keeps tooling along just fine. Actually that's why I want a mav is that it is the vehicle most like that 2012 escape hybrid.

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If its like the Toyota hybrids, then the motor will start if you press the accelerator too far. There is a dedicated EV button to ask for battery only mode, but it doesn't take much pressing to make the motor start. If you're hypermiling then the Toyota system kicks the motor on when the hybrid battery gets to a certain level of discharge. Under optimal conditions I can get about 5 miles on battery alone, and in the winter its almost nothing. Cold Temps makes the motor run. Milage drops way off in winter. My rav gets 43 mpg in summer and around 28 in winter
The fords I have driven (escape, c-max) have never had a dedicated ev button so I wouldn't expect that. My wife has a plug in hybrid chrysler and it doesn't do it either, but i wish it would. It doesn't bother my on the regular hybrids at all though.

My experience is that my driving style starts to change, but this may be me getting old, too. It becomes a fun part of driving not to start fast but to maximize milage, if that makes sense. So I start slower and brake a lot more steadier and smoother than I used to, in order to charge the batteries more. My experience is that when the gas motor "kicks in" has a lot of variables - tempterature like hondabuster said, slope - like going up hill from the start or downhill, and how fast you accelerate. If you stomp the gas it will cut on almost immediately because it needs the power to rev up, if you go into it smooth and steady it will go electric only to probably 25 mph or so, slow and steady in a parking garage or something like that will be all electric unless you have drained the battery out already. It is hard to explain but you get a feel for it.

Sponsored

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
It is NOT a cvt in the Maverick. It is an ECVT. Huge difference.
Yes, and I like eCVT even more on the Maverick!

BTW, if you would pay attention, I referred no normal CVT and made comment about non-hybrid cars with CVT and what folks used to say about it. I did not refer to eCVT or Hybrids at all, but last sentence that had nothing to do with transmissions.

Last edited:

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes and if you look there are more Miataā€™s racing then any other vehicle out there. This engine has even proven itself at 24hr Le Mans in LMP-2 cars.
Iā€™m a big supporter of Mazda they make great products but have poor marketing. They are one of the only manufacturerā€™s that doesnā€™t have issues with DI engines because of there engineers and recently have developed a compression ignition gasoline engine. This is something that is the holy grail of gas engines. Mercedes, Gm, and countless others have tried to make it work.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid