Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I just turned 10k miles. Out of the factory to ~3000m, all was good, then i started noticing a very small/slight shudder while decelerating vehicle when the regen slows, thought it might be just a tweak needed in the deceleration to regen program. ~7000m shudder getting quite noticeable. Now at 10000m i am getting concerned, there was one other member i read about that had his drive clutch diagnosed/replaced and this popped in my head.

It seems like its getting worse and longer period of shuddering.

Hope i dont have to go down that road, as the engine has to come out to split from drive unit. I have tried different modes of operation, but does not have effect on shudder. Doesnt shudder during acceleration, however i havent beat on it to determine.
Hello, Randy! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this shuddering concern. Thanks!

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Thx FMC, i will be waiting to get the other airbag official recall, then do both recalls and address the clutch shudder problem. However I should go ahead and get this process going. Thx will do.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello, Randy! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this shuddering concern. Thanks!
Hey while you are at it, how about getting a recall out for the bad hybrid battery to under hood cable????

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just turned 10k miles. Out of the factory to ~3000m, all was good, then i started noticing a very small/slight shudder while decelerating vehicle when the regen slows, thought it might be just a tweak needed in the deceleration to regen program. ~7000m shudder getting quite noticeable. Now at 10000m i am getting concerned, there was one other member i read about that had his drive clutch diagnosed/replaced and this popped in my head.

It seems like its getting worse and longer period of shuddering.

Hope i dont have to go down that road, as the engine has to come out to split from drive unit. I have tried different modes of operation, but does not have effect on shudder. Doesnt shudder during acceleration, however i havent beat on it to determine.
HI Randy,
Sorry to hear about this, but grateful for your post to let others know about it. Let us know how it goes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heres a little more data, so you guys can start checking for it as well. Driving around in town(any mode) remove foot from accelerator pedal, coast, regen starts immediately, then after 1-2 seconds of regen and deceleration its going to change mode or drive gear ratio, i get a somewhat minor vehicle shudder, then it changes mode or gear ratio and all is fine. It feels lile clutch shudder. Feel it in driveline and vehicle. Something slipping in driveline.

Does it in any driving mode, you have to drive on a nice surface or it can be mistaken for road surface vibration.

They had just paved 71w, 281N MF, and in Marble Falls. So its very apparent on these freshly paved roads. If you didnt feel for it you probably wouldnt have noticed.

Thx Dad. This is why i post excessively.

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Heres a little more data, so you guys can start checking for it as well. Driving around in town(any mode) remove foot from accelerator pedal, coast, regen starts immediately, then after 1-2 seconds of regen and deceleration its going to change mode or drive gear ratio, i get a somewhat minor vehicle shudder, then it changes mode or gear ratio and all is fine. It feels lile clutch shudder. Feel it in driveline and vehicle. Something slipping in driveline.

Does it in any driving mode, you have to drive on a nice surface or it can be mistaken for road surface vibration.

They had just paved 71w, 281N MF, and in Marble Falls. So its very apparent on these freshly paved roads. If you didnt feel for it you probably wouldnt have noticed.

You may have a problem with a driveline component! watch these ford hybrid system video's while you wait for a dealer appointment.
The first video is one of a series of three which explain different parts of fords hybrid system. The system is quite ingenious and appears to be fairly robust!

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thx for the tip. Have watched several vids, have the Ford service manual, good idea, will go look up diagram and will post a few pics.

I am very proficient in the hybrid driveline. Theres an engine drive clutch that can wear out and cause a driveline shudder, this is where my money is.

I am not hoping this as the engine/trans/electric drive has to come out of truck.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went and looked up proper terminology, the drivetrain components in question are the flywheel and damper, they are situated between the 2.5 ICE and the HF45 hybrid transmission(this labeling in Ford nomenclature), i like to use their termology, since they were the ones who manufacted it.

There was 1 other guy that had to get his replaced on this forum. I have a decent memory although selective(my wife tells me). I need to go search and pull it up as it has some good info.

This is what i believe mine might have problems, i see my shudder as a bad clutch shudder, its getting worse. I would suggest to anyone to test their hybrid to see if its widespread. Bad thing is if it needs replacement engine has to come out. I would imiagine when i get it in the dealership they are going to try to flash it. I could be off on this one(it wouldn't be the first time), not going to dealership yet, waiting for other air curtain recall to become official, then i can get fire and air curtain recall done and they can try to diagnose this shudder. End of September, hope it doesn't get bad enough to drive.

Ford Maverick Shuddering Hybrid 20220826_172428

Ford Maverick Shuddering Hybrid 20220826_173127

Ford Maverick Shuddering Hybrid 20220826_172442

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Top pic is the damper(clutch disc).

Second pic is HF45, the flywheel/damper is between the HF45 and 2.5 ICE

last pic is flywheel.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

You're welcome.
BTW, I've had the same experience. Happened maybe 3 times since I've had the vehicle. Took it in to the dealer and they found "nothing" wrong. Your description is dead on accurate. Feels like you've gone over a shoulder warning one finds on CA freeways.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dad, glad to hear others know what we are discussing, mine didnt do it until lately, brand new it was perfect. Sorry to hear yours is doing it. I have 10000m.

How many miles you have on yours?

If my hunch is right, this could be serious, repair is engine removal?

Thx.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the shoulder warning, here in texas it looks like the highway department drove a dozer down the shoulder. It will wake you up. Great analogy.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for posting Mach1.

Just a thought, if the damper clutch is the culprit and slipping under regen wouldn't you get the dreaded P0811 fault under hard acceleration as well? Curious what the cause turns out to be, hopefully the fix doesn't require pulling the engine and transaxle.

Cheers.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Skinny, i have never beat on mine, was wondering this as well, cause i am only seeing it on deacceleration. I need to go power into it and see if it will slip under load.

I am thinking others are seeing it as well. I have to be careful with it, as i was planning to get it into dealership end of next month so they can do the fire recall and the air curtain module recall all together.

Thx for advice, will post with new info as it showes up.
Sponsored