First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And Costco uses "top tier" gas, which is a requirement for GDI engines like the EB.
I doubt if it is required, although the engine would love it.
Sponsored

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
2022 MAVERICK Owner’s Manual Page 172---- FUEL QUALITY SELECTING THE CORRECT FUEL E161513 Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty. For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer (page 263). Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage. We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance. For additional information, visit www.toptiergas.com. Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty. Do not use: • Diesel fuel. • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin. • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel. • Fuels containing methanol. • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds. • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT). • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law. The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system. LOCATING THE FUEL FILLER FUNNEL The fuel filler funnel is behind the right-hand side rear seat with the vehicle jack ----------- 2022 Maverick (CFE) Canada/United States of America, enUSA, Edition date: 202106, First-Printing

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
It they do have D.I. the benefits of running Premium fuel makes more sense. The increased power is a plus and from what I understand keeps the intake valves cleaner. I guess if you're leasing or trade vehicles every 2-3 years and don't enjoy or need the extra power than stick w/ the regular grade. I tend to keep my vehicles a bit longer(present truck 8 years old), premium fuel cost is a stinger although at least you've something enjoyable in return:)
Run regular and a can of gum out once in a while

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There have been Numerous investigations that 50% of the time your paying for premium but getting regular . I will run regular 95% of the time unless I hear consistent pinging . Then I will add octane boost to the tank .

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
There have been Numerous investigations that 50% of the time your paying for premium but getting regular . I will run regular 95% of the time unless I hear consistent pinging . Then I will add octane boost to the tank .
Modern engines have ping [knock] sensors that will compensate for lower octane gas. The engine is designed to operate at a certain efficiency within a specific range of octane . Slightly higher not a problem, to low and it reduces the timing and power output and no pinging! Your results may vary! Prior to modern sensors, melted pistons were commonly found in high compression ratio engines used for racing, from crappy gas!

Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Modern engines have ping [knock] sensors that will compensate for lower octane gas. The engine is designed to operate at a certain efficiency within a specific range of octane . Slightly higher not a problem, to low and it reduces the timing and power output and no pinging! Your results may vary! Prior to modern sensors, melted pistons were commonly found in high compression ratio engines used for racing, from crappy gas!
Well said!

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wish Costco sold a 88 blend...For those @ elevation where 85 is the 87

Killjoyken

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been using 87 since new and just filled up with 16 gallons of 91. So far I've noticed then engine seems smoother with a little less hesitation. Full throttle acceleration is a little better as well. I'm guessing the ecu is pulling a good amount of timing to run on 87. I'm going to go through another tank of 91 before I decide, but so far think it may be worth the extra cost. I do drive fairly aggressively. :whistle:

For reference my last car was a Cadillac ATS-V that was shipped from Virginia with a full tank of 93. After filling up with Californian 91 the performance tanked. We have the most expensive and worst performing gas in the country. I wouldn't be surprised if our 87 is below Ford's requirements.

SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can tell you this. I put almost 16 gallons of 91 premium in tonight as a test and it was $72. I won’t be doing that again. Ouch!!!

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Modern engines suffer from broken ringlands. Subaru's are notorious for this.

Sponsored

Burch20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

The cost of Regular VS Premium unleaded is almost a deal breaker.I always heard that turbo needed Premium. What fuel does it need? How about Ethanol 10% ?

Thanks
I drove a 18' Fiesta ST (1.6 EV) for 2 years on premium after testing different grades. I did the same with my 14' Escape (2.0 EB I think).

In both cars my average MPG's improved by 2-5. In the Fiesta there was for sure a difference in performance in general.

Considering the difference per tank is maybe $20, why not do it just to be safe? That's the conclusion I came to.

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

The cost of Regular VS Premium unleaded is almost a deal breaker.I always heard that turbo needed Premium. What fuel does it need? How about Ethanol 10% ?

Thanks
Regular Unleaded 87

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Modern engines suffer from broken ringlands. Subaru's are notorious for this.
What other data points do you have other than Subaru? I can tell you that I haven't had this problem on ,many other engines

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What other data points do you have other than Subaru? I can tell you that I haven't had this problem on ,many other engines
Ford, Nissan, and Toyota all have had ringland issues on tuboed engines. A quick google search can provide you the information. While knock sensors are great it takes detonation to get knock. Detonation is what cracks the ringlands. My career has been in heavy equipment and even they are prone to detonation and crack ringlands.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford, Nissan, and Toyota all have had ringland issues on tuboed engines. A quick google search can provide you the information. While knock sensors are great it takes detonation to get knock. Detonation is what cracks the ringlands. My career has been in heavy equipment and even they are prone to detonation and crack ringlands.
Interesting, I have 2turbo charged cars, BMW's my M340i has 45K very hard miles on it, and is making 600 RWH (stock is 380) mu M5 is making 900 RWH (stock is 560) both are "driven" and haven't had issues with ringland... Injectors and coil packs, yes.
Sponsored