Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
Let's do some math here!

12,000 miles/yr @24mpg = 500 gallons of fuel

Cost of regular at $2.50 x 500 =$1,250
Cost of premium at $2.80 x500 = $1,400

An annual added cost of $150, or $12.50/month. But...a $45 or $60 sams/costco membership at least here in MN gets me premium for +/- $0.05 more, making the only difference the cost of the membership, less than $5/month.
Lol, around here Premium is 90 cents a gallon more and often over $1 per gallon difference.
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
As for me. I would personally get an E85 tune. More power, cheaper, but you do loose out on some mpg.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also, pro tip, all the gas at small Ultramar gas stations in Ottawa are Premium as they run from a common tank.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Knock sensors are so advanced now that even vehicles that "require" premium can run fine on 87 octane, they just richen the fuel mixture and retard ignition a bit and voila, no more knock, but also maybe a mpg less and lose some horsepower.

If you're going on long trips where you're on cruise control cross country, just put in regular it will be fine. If you're towing or its a really hot summer or you want to get every horsepower and have less concerns about carbon fouling from running rich then put in the recommended premium.

And for the record the 2.0 ecoboost does recommend 91+ octane and the 2.5 Hybrid recommends 87+ octane when checking owners manuals for the Ford Escape on which the Maverick is based and shares powertrains with.

Sponsored

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
Knock sensors are so advanced now that even vehicles that "require" premium can run fine on 87 octane, they just richen the fuel mixture and retard ignition a bit and voila, no more knock, but also maybe a mpg less and lose some horsepower.

If you're going on long trips where you're on cruise control cross country, just put in regular it will be fine. If you're towing or its a really hot summer or you want to get every horsepower and have less concerns about carbon fouling from running rich then put in the recommended premium.

And for the record the 2.0 ecoboost does recommend 91+ octane and the 2.5 Hybrid recommends 87+ octane when checking owners manuals for the Ford Escape on which the Maverick is based and shares powertrains with.
While the engine management system can certainly accommodate the fuel's octane, you're paying for a specific horsepower and torque on the 2.0, why not get what you paid extra for? For me, the real reason for running a top tier, clean running premium fuel on a D.I. engine is to prevent issues down the line. I don't lease and tend to hang on to my vehicles awhile, I'm not interested in having the head pulled every 50-60,000 miles to de-carbonize. the intake ports.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lol, around here Premium is 90 cents a gallon more and often over $1 per gallon difference.
Yikes! I will concede here in MN ou gas prices tend slightly lower than the national average. I will say that premium at a regular station usually pushed around $0.50 or more, which makes getting it at costco/sams around here for the price of regular everywhere else pretty sweet.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi all,

The cost of Regular VS Premium unleaded is almost a deal breaker.I always heard that turbo needed Premium. What fuel does it need? How about Ethanol 10% ?

Thanks
The ecoboost doesn't need premium but if it's hot and or you are towing it's to your advantage to use it. Yes you get a little bump in power of approx 10 HP and 10 lb ft. Here in Texas I run premium during the summer and the cheap stuff the rest of the year

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While the engine management system can certainly accommodate the fuel's octane, you're paying for a specific horsepower and torque on the 2.0, why not get what you paid extra for? For me, the real reason for running a top tier, clean running premium fuel on a D.I. engine is to prevent issues down the line. I don't lease and tend to hang on to my vehicles awhile, I'm not interested in having the head pulled every 50-60,000 miles to de-carbonize. the intake ports.
Since Ford added port injection in 2017 carbon build up isn't a problem

Rr317

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 focus st, 2021 escape, 2022 ford maverick FE
Preface: I drive a 17 focus st so the tune is meant for performance and not mpg. However hp and trq are nearly identical to the maverick spec

From my experience the 2.0eb, running premium does not make for much of a difference with mpg, maybe 1-2 average higher.
What it does change is throttle response and higher rpm feel. With regular the engine starts falling over itself around 4500 to 5000 rpm. With premium it makes it nearly to redline before it starts falling off. An octane specific tune can help with these issues if you are willing.

Sponsored

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Since Ford added port injection in 2017 carbon build up isn't a problem
I am not aware the 2.0L Ecoboost is both Port and Direct Injected. I’ve only seen it with Direct Injection.

From what I gather, both the larger 2.7 and 3.5 are and the much smaller 1.5.

The 2.0 and 3.0 still remain DI only.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I am not aware the 2.0L Ecoboost is both Port and Direct Injected. I’ve only seen it with Direct Injection.

From what I gather, both the larger 2.7 and 3.5 are and the much smaller 1.5.

The 2.0 and 3.0 still remain DI only.
It they do have D.I. the benefits of running Premium fuel makes more sense. The increased power is a plus and from what I understand keeps the intake valves cleaner. I guess if you're leasing or trade vehicles every 2-3 years and don't enjoy or need the extra power than stick w/ the regular grade. I tend to keep my vehicles a bit longer(present truck 8 years old), premium fuel cost is a stinger although at least you've something enjoyable in return:)

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
For my 2020 Escape (3-cyl turbo), I use 91 octane, 89 if 91 isn't available. I know it can use 87, but I personally am choosing to run the higher stuff just for my own sake. I figured it's a reasonable investment even if it doesn't add much to the engine's life and/or performance.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL. I had a 87 Lebaron GTS Turbo (Hatch) w/manual transmission. Nothing but trouble after 50K or so miles - transmission, turbos, ... My first and last Mopar product.

It took a lot of convincing of myself (because of the above) to go for the 3.5L Eco-boost twin-turbo in the F150 (over the V8). I finally did it because I wanted the truck to tow my 20" trailer + L-series Kubota and the torque on the 3.5L Eco-Boost is just better (than the NA V8). Also my nephew has a 3.5L Eco-boost which has north of 200K miles.

For my F150, I use regular old 87 Octane except when I have a need to tow a heavy load.
The 3.5 Eco-boost is a great engine. The company I work for has many of these with close to or over 200k. The only real problems we witness is coolant leak or oil leak at turbo feed lines. Those lines are a bear to replace. Then at about 150k expect to do a water pump and boost sensor. That’s about it from what I’ve witnessed. These trucks idle a lot too so the 200k is more like 250k on engine run time. They are not dry engines by any means and have small oil leaks by then but still run strong and reliable.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
It they do have D.I. the benefits of running Premium fuel makes more sense. The increased power is a plus and from what I understand keeps the intake valves cleaner. I guess if you're leasing or trade vehicles every 2-3 years and don't enjoy or need the extra power than stick w/ the regular grade. I tend to keep my vehicles a bit longer(present truck 8 years old), premium fuel cost is a stinger although at least you've something enjoyable in return:)
I am used to running Premium fuel has I have been required to run that for 14+ years now in my 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan. It will be like second nature anyway. I don't think I'll ever voluntarily sell it. It's my 219 Tacoma that's getting the boot - too many unresolved issues with it. My Honda was not the fastest new or now, but it is so much fun to drive. Hoping Ford's 2.0 EB lends to some spirited driving at times.
Sponsored