First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 for maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there any difference between eco mode and normal mode in gas mileage?

what are your experiences?

thank you
Sponsored

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I tried one tank of gas on eco mode and didnā€™t see enough differance to have to use it over the normal mode.sport mode will lose mileage but thatā€™s probably because i tend to drive a lot more aggressively .i just leave it on normal but would leave it in sport if didnā€™t have to remember to push the button.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
in terms of mpg no difference for me. However, normal mode is more responsive when you press the throttle. I typically use normal mode for my daily except when it rains or slippery then 'slippery' mode is used. Sport mode sometimes used but the noise is a bit annoying but if you stomp on the throttle with normal mode or eco mode the immediate response is similar to sport mode. This is my experience with my hybrid so far.

Stive

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Lexus RX350, Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just turned 10000 miles on my XL Hybrid. Iā€™m guessing that over 90% of those miles were in the ECO mode. My driving is probably 60% highway 40% in town. The 40% in town is not a routine. My to date mpg is 40.3 per trip 1 (not reset since purchase). At various times, for like 5 miles or more on an expressway, I would switch between slippery, normal and eco. I also did that around town, but thatā€™s hard to duplicate. For me, I seem to be getting the best MPGs in eco mode. I have a habit of pressing the mode button 5 times before driving to get it in eco. I too wish that you could select a different mode default.

Beekeo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Eco mode softens throttle response and adjusts the transmission thresholds to prioritize up-shifting, so I would assume that it results in better gas mileage for the same driver on the same routes.

But I havenā€™t used ECO long enough and havenā€™t tracked my mileage to tell you how effectively it works. I would guess that the benefits would be less than 5mpg, but I could be wrong.

My personal experience is that ECO makes the vehicle pokey and sleepy. Sport is borderline obnoxious and I only employ it when Iā€™m merging from a dead stop onto a 60+ roadway (Merritt Parkway onramps, for example), definitely do not prefer it for running errands around town.

Normal mode is in that Goldilocks zone for me! (AWD 4K)

But this is a good reminder to goof around in Sport more often :)

Sponsored

mpc999

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At first I was using eco mode for all my driving but then tried normal for in town driving. Normal mode seemed equalor better the eco for in town. I get anywhere from high 30's to over 50 mpg in town. Tested for highway driving and eco mode was a little better on mpg.

desmobob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess it depends on where you live and drive, but Eco Mode makes my Maverick so sluggish in my hilly area that I haven't been able to leave it in that mode for a whole tank full of fuel. :cool:

OP
OP
luciusxlt

luciusxlt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 for maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess it depends on where you live and drive, but Eco Mode makes my Maverick so sluggish in my hilly area that I haven't been able to leave it in that mode for a whole tank full of fuel. :cool:
i live in miami. 99% city driving. On eco iam doing 19mpg average driving like a granny

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Drive on the highway in regular mode then put it in eco, you will see the rpms drop a good bit. Im sure over the course of a long road trip it would be beneficial.

Sponsored

Larry the lariat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i live in miami. 99% city driving. On eco iam doing 19mpg average driving like a granny
Miami traffic is terrible. I live in Miami lakes. I know the struggle

Michigan Bill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid Lux, 2017 Chevy Equinox
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use ECO in the city, which is most of the time. As others have said, the throttle response feels slightly slower than in NORMAL, but after driving for awhile, I tend to forget I'm in ECO mode. My mpg has increased by using ECO, but I'm also getting used to maximizing my mileage with the hybrid.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On the Escape, I only use Eco on flat, straight highways between cities. It does run a little lower on the RPMs... at least until you get to August and the a/c needs to run constantly, then ECO doesn't make a lick of difference. I use Sport once I get into city interstates so I have the ability to, um, escape dangerous situations.

But most of the time, I drive the Escape on Normal because I forget to change anything.

Likely will be the same with the Maverick.

Larry the lariat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
how are you doing with MPG
Iā€™m still waiting on my truck. Itā€™s set for Feb 20th. So hopefully before April I have and Iā€™ll be happy to let you know.
Sponsored