• Thread starter Deleted member 528
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I am used to running Premium fuel has I have been required to run that for 14+ years now in my 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan. It will be like second nature anyway. I don't think I'll ever voluntarily sell it. It's my 219 Tacoma that's getting the boot - too many unresolved issues with it. My Honda was not the fastest new or now, but it is so much fun to drive. Hoping Ford's 2.0 EB lends to some spirited driving at times.
I'm with you regarding Tacomas, my 09 was the worse truck I've owned. Lots of issues and the driving position is terrible. I'm a (5) time Toyaota owner so it's not that I don't like the brand. My 04 Tundra was 10 times the vehicle.
Sponsored

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I'm with you regarding Tacomas, my 09 was the worse truck I've owned. Lots of issues and the driving position is terrible. I'm a (5) time Toyaota owner so it's not that I don't like the brand. My 04 Tundra was 10 times the vehicle.
I still prefer Japanese manufacturers (Honda and Toyota), but neither make a vehicle like the Maverick. I am stepping outside my comfort zone, but I typically purchase vehicles for my needs, not to find something within the constraints of one or two manufacturers. I'd for sure consider a Toyota competitor to the Maverick, but one doesn't exist, so too bad for them. I was actually hoping to keep the Toyota for many years, but unfortunately, Toyota dropped the ball on my particular Tacoma example. I feel sorry for the next owner that will have to deal with its problems, likely outside of warranty too. Oh well.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I still prefer Japanese manufacturers (Honda and Toyota), but neither make a vehicle like the Maverick. I am stepping outside my comfort zone, but I typically purchase vehicles for my needs, not to find something within the constraints of one or two manufacturers. I'd for sure consider a Toyota competitor to the Maverick, but one doesn't exist, so too bad for them. I was actually hoping to keep the Toyota for many years, but unfortunately, Toyota dropped the ball on my particular Tacoma example. I feel sorry for the next owner that will have to deal with its problems, likely outside of warranty too. Oh well.
Agree - But as my friend says "Toyota's " have no soul - We have a highlander, bullet proof highway warrior but such a bland over-all driving experience. Looking forward to a peppy small turbo'ed engine with a little blow off valve pop.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Agree - But as my friend says "Toyota's " have no soul - We have a highlander, bullet proof highway warrior but such a bland over-all driving experience. Looking forward to a peppy small turbo'ed engine with a little blow off valve pop.
Regular is in the manual, if your trim starts to be affected move up a grade until it normalized to prevent timing changes and loss of power

Sponsored

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
I have never owned a ford myself(maverick is looking to be the first one) but my nephew had a ford fusion with the ecoboost engine and in the beginning it was fine with regular gas but as soon as it hit 25k it started hesitating/stalling once or twice when cold, he was told by dealer that gas was the problem switched to premium without ethanol and the stalling went away but the somewhat rough running stayed, he decided to trade it and get an escape but this time decided to go premium the whole time and already past 40k no issues.

As far as normal turbo knowledge goes, I have seen too many engines with a fist size hole on the side with rods sticking out due to detonation to take a chance.

Premium gas is cheap enough where I rather use it than take the chance of having issues, the same applies to frequent oil changes, it is just cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had bad experience with turbo - namely my first new car - 1987 Plymouth Sundance 2.2L Turbo- It did use Premium unleaded but never got 120K because the turbo died (and the car because of cost).
How can you use your data from 34 years ago have any bearing on cars today?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

The cost of Regular VS Premium unleaded is almost a deal breaker.I always heard that turbo needed Premium. What fuel does it need? How about Ethanol 10% ?

Thanks
The EBs are rated for regular.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's funny the manual says a hybrid can run off of ethanol but it's not rated for it.

Sponsored

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According to the specs the 2.5l hybrid is 13:1 compression ratio.
The effective compression ratio is much less since we are not comparing Otto engines now. Atkinson cycle engines perform slightly different in that you actually have flow reversion out the intake since the intake valves are still open during the compression stroke.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
The effective compression ratio is much less since we are not comparing Otto engines now. Atkinson cycle engines perform slightly different in that you actually have flow reversion out the intake since the intake valves are still open during the compression stroke.
Yes, though that is really because the air is still moving and has a pressure wave. Once the compression stroke starts, the intake only remains open as long as manifold pressure at the valve is greater than the pressure of the cylinder (very simple understanding version)

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... Once the compression stroke starts, the intake only remains open as long as manifold pressure at the valve is greater than the pressure of the cylinder (very simple understanding version)
I think that might apply in normally-aspirated engines, but an Atkinson has only just started at 10% underfill (very top color contour). I'm seeing more than twice the expansion-to-intake volume at low RPM. The symbols are defined in the key.
Ford Maverick Premium or Regular unleaded ?? Atkinson Map for Toyota 25L

Ford Maverick Premium or Regular unleaded ?? Atkinson Map Key for Toyota 25L

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Owners manual says regular for all configurations

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
I just looked it up in the Maverick Owner's Manual that I downloaded from Ford.

87 octane is fine.

91 or higher may give you a better experience in some situations.

There is no single answer for everyone under every condition. Try different grades and use what you like.

Here is what the manual says on Page 172:

=======
Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded
gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2
octane rating of 87.

For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended.

The performance gained by using premium fuel
is most noticeable in hot weather as well
as other conditions, for example when
towing a trailer.