Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On the highway, if you switch from Normal to ECO in the 2.0 you will see RPMs drop, as it shifts to a 8th gear from 7th. Lower RPMs at the same speed will equate to higher mileage.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Eco mode softens throttle response and adjusts the transmission thresholds to prioritize up-shifting, so I would assume that it results in better gas mileage for the same driver on the same routes.

But I haven’t used ECO long enough and haven’t tracked my mileage to tell you how effectively it works. I would guess that the benefits would be less than 5mpg, but I could be wrong.

My personal experience is that ECO makes the vehicle pokey and sleepy. Sport is borderline obnoxious and I only employ it when I’m merging from a dead stop onto a 60+ roadway (Merritt Parkway onramps, for example), definitely do not prefer it for running errands around town.

Normal mode is in that Goldilocks zone for me! (AWD 4K)

But this is a good reminder to goof around in Sport more often :)
Did you use FORSCAN to enable ECO and Sport? Did you have to drop other modes and if so, what?

I definitely want to keep Normal and Towing. I use Sand for Snow and Slippery for higher speed driving in possibly slick conditions. Mud/Ruts seems to be useless and I would always opt for Sand instead.

And the Merritt Parway is insane especially with all the never ending construction.

Beekeo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t have FX4, so the drive modes are Normal, Eco, Slippery and Sport (and Tow, that’s a separate button, right? Im not in my vehicle at the moment).

I believe I could use FORSCAN to swap one for sand or mud/ruts, but unless I were to start beach crawling I probably wouldn’t have a reason to do so.

Sponsored

JimCT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't really compared directly, so I don't know how big a difference it makes, but I think I see some benefit from Eco mode. It will really depend on how you drive and what the local conditions are like.

The biggest difference (and the reason I prefer Eco mode) is on lower speed roads with a lot of hills. I do a lot of driving on roads with speed limits from 30-45 mph with lots of small ups and downs. If I'm in Eco, the truck will maintain gear when I'm going downhill at zero throttle so I pick up speed, then I just let the speed burn off up the other side. In Normal mode, the truck is pretty quick to downshift going down the first side, so I have to apply some throttle to maintain speed up the next.

On level ground, Eco does upshift a little more quickly than Normal, so there might be gains when accelerating slowly (but is that a gain from shifting more quickly or just being light on the throttle?). If I'm at highway speeds (65 mph), I'm in top gear no matter which mode, so I don't know that there's any advantage.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you use FORSCAN to enable ECO and Sport? Did you have to drop other modes and if so, what?

I definitely want to keep Normal and Towing. I use Sand for Snow and Slippery for higher speed driving in possibly slick conditions. Mud/Ruts seems to be useless and I would always opt for Sand instead.

And the Merritt Parway is insane especially with all the never ending construction.
Using Forscan you don’t have to loose any drive modes to add Eco and Sport to a FX4. I kept all of the FX4 drive standard drive modes and added Eco and Sport to mine using forscan. You’ll see once your in the module that all you have to do is enable those two modes and there are no errors or issues to having all of the drive modes available either even though it exceeds the factory amount for a FX4.

Been working fine for me for almost a year now. Only annoying thing is it’s a lot of drive modes to shuffle through to get to eco and sport or back to normal at times lol but they all work fine so I can’t complain.

notgoosemaverick33

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From what I have seen in the last week of owning and driving my Maverick... Eco mode quickens upshifts and doesn't do that automatic downshifting when you head down a steep hill. It keeps the revs low as possible and keeps the transmission in the highest gear possible. I averaged about 22 MPG in eco mode between city and highway for a couple of days.

In regular or normal mode, the engine will upshift depending on throttle input and road conditions. If you are in normal drive mode and you start heading down a steep hill, the transmission will drop 1 or 2 gears to hold you at a speed around what you were originally going. I average about 19 MPG city and highway in normal mode, and I put the pedal down quite a bit still.

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Only difference I could say, was a more "sluggish" response on acceleration (attaining Freeway speed) on the ECO-mode...
And I did get about 5 mpg MORE in ECO-mode over using Normal-mode...

Jerry

TonyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use normal mode. Did eco for one tankful and didn't notice any difference. Any other mode besides normal requires me to manually select it. So the only mode other than normal I can see myself ever selecting is slippery in bad weather.

Sponsored

sugarpants41

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Ford Maverick XLT w/Lux Package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I found eco mode, on average, to provide 1-2mpg over normal mode. Now, for context, I tend to drive conservatively. And I have been able to get the same mpg with normal mode by changing my foot.

Eco reduces the turbo usage for non-hybrids and prioritizes placing the transmission in the lowest gear possible for current conditions.

My normal mpg is ~31.5.

OldSarg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Is there any difference between eco mode and normal mode in gas mileage?

what are your experiences?

thank you
I am driving a 2022 Mav XLT Hybrid with 21,245 miles. Around town I always use ECO and it does give me a 1.9 mpg difference. On the open road I use the normal mode unless I get in heavy traffic then I will go back to ECO. In my view a 1.9 mpg difference over time is significant. I usually get 39.4 mpg in ECO.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I came out of a 5.4 Liter 2007 F150. Every mode is eco mode for me 😀
Sponsored