Sponsored

Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame?

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Base Grp 500A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That bar that spans the whole bumper is colloquially called a "crash bar". It, along with the EPS (Styrofoam), is what's primarily supposed to deform and absorb energy from a collision.

The Ford Explorer has a similar setup. The OEM hitch is part of the crash bar itself. An aftermarket hitch for the Explorer bolts to the subframe/unibody structure below the crash bar.

I'd wager that the aftermarket hitches for the Maverick will be similar in that they will bolt to the subframe/unibody below the crash bar. Aftermarket companies generally want easier installation over better (AKA higher) hitch receiver placement. Removing the crash bar requires a lot of disassembly and reassembly, which increases the chances of damaging something in the process.
Ok, my receiver arrived with a bag of 8 bolts and "Instructions". Step 1: an eyeball, a book, and a bumper magically being removed. WTH does that mean? So much for an easy install.

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? Ford Maverick Trailer Hitch Installation Instructions Bumper Removal
Sponsored

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those considering DIY installation, attached are the instructions included with the Maverick 2022 Receiver, Ford Part #NZ6Z17D826C:

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? Ford Maverick Trailer Hitch Installation Instructions p1-50

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? Ford Maverick Trailer Hitch Installation Instructions p2-50

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? Ford Maverick Trailer Hitch Installation Instructions p3-50

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? Ford Maverick Trailer Hitch Installation Instructions p4-50

testa422

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I built mine w no hitch. Won’t ever be towing so no need

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 53 Dodge M37
I don't have a tow hitch receiver on my Hybrid yet, I was told by my salesman when I ordered that it would delay delivery. But I plan on getting one.

Sponsored

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably something like 'refer to service manual for instructions on rear bumper removal'
I am afraid that you are correct. There goes more $$$ for accees to, or a CD of the Service Manual.:confused:

GaryG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, 2000 F250 7.3 TD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Finally, installed my Maverick Receiver I purchased through Ford.com. I had to cancel my order through dealer as they were unsuccessful! Most difficult part of installation was removing the plastic bumper without breaking the tab mounts. I was able to pry the bumper from behind starting from the sides. Now the hunt for the wiring harness? FYI...its not tucked away somewhere underneath and it definitely doesn't come with the purchase of a new Receiver.

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? tempImagepVluO5

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? tempImagelrBCx6

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? tempImagejPgVW0

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I purchased an XL that a customer ordered, then had to cancel due to a sudden serious medical problem. He didn’t order the hitch/receiver. I bought an OEM hitch receiver and the wiring harness from Ford, however, there’s nowhere underneath the truck to plug in the wiring harness. I’m taking the Maverick to a place that specializes in installing hitches. He said he may be able to figure out how to wire it. Hoping so because I’d hate to tow my 5’ x 8’ utility trailer w/o lights.

Just a little FYI. I ordered an XLT with the Lux pkg and CP360 on 15 October and still waiting on a production date. I picked up the XL at the end of January to hold me over until my XLT arrives. At this point, I think mine will be rolled over to a 2023 model. I’m not canceling any packages.

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Finally, installed my Maverick Receiver I purchased through Ford.com. I had to cancel my order through dealer as they were unsuccessful! Most difficult part of installation was removing the plastic bumper without breaking the tab mounts. I was able to pry the bumper from behind starting from the sides. Now the hunt for the wiring harness? FYI...its not tucked away somewhere underneath and it definitely doesn't come with the purchase of a new Receiver.

tempImagepVluO5.png

tempImagelrBCx6.png

tempImagejPgVW0.png
At your convenience, would you please let me know how many clips and bolts/screws were holding the bumper? I will try to remove my bumper, but usually there is a hidden stinker somewhere that I end up breaking. Then, it never goes back on correctly. Yours looks good! Thank you.

Sponsored

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You got this man!!! Hardest part is just pulling the bumper fascia off the clips. Please do use my PDF as a guide!
Thanks, I printed it in full color! (i hope that it wasn't copyrighted) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was instructed by my sales person to eliminate all options to speed up the build process and that the dealer would add the options at the same price as listed. Looks like this may not be possible with the hitch if what I am reading is correct. I will not be happy if they expect me to pay more for a lower quality bolt on hitch.
You better keep the hitch option on your order. There's no way to connect a wiring harness to get lights for your trailer unless you order your Maverick with the hitch option. I spent several hours with the shop foreman at the local Ford dealer. He researched schematics, checked with the regional office, printed out and highlighted certain things, and inspected my Maverick. There's no fuses and no connectors in the fuse well, and no wiring going from the fuse well to support a 4 pin connector. Further, there's no pig tail nor connector anywhere underneath the truck to connect any wiring harness. To make matters worse, there's no crossover after market packages from the Escape nor the Bronco Sport to support adding a wiring harness to the truck. I also confirmed this with two different hitch shops in my area. I had the OEM hitch installed anyway, and ordered two Road Genie magnetic flashing emergency lights for my trailer.

And just a little FYI, I actually have a hybrid XLT with CP360 and the lux pkg on order from 15 October. I picked up a hybrid XL that a customer canceled, but it didn't have a hitch. I'm selling the XL once my XLT arrives, but with all of the constraints on certain packages and accessories, I'm not counting on it being a 2022, but a 2023 Model Year.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You better keep the hitch option on your order. There's no way to connect a wiring harness to get lights for your trailer unless you order your Maverick with the hitch option. I spent several hours with the shop foreman at the local Ford dealer. He researched schematics, checked with the regional office, printed out and highlighted certain things, and inspected my Maverick. There's no fuses and no connectors in the fuse well, and no wiring going from the fuse well to support a 4 pin connector. Further, there's no pig tail nor connector anywhere underneath the truck to connect any wiring harness. To make matters worse, there's no crossover after market packages from the Escape nor the Bronco Sport to support adding a wiring harness to the truck. I also confirmed this with two different hitch shops in my area. I had the OEM hitch installed anyway, and ordered two Road Genie magnetic flashing emergency lights for my trailer.

And just a little FYI, I actually have a hybrid XLT with CP360 and the lux pkg on order from 15 October. I picked up a hybrid XL that a customer canceled, but it didn't have a hitch. I'm selling the XL once my XLT arrives, but with all of the constraints on certain packages and accessories, I'm not counting on it being a 2022, but a 2023 Model Year.
Good call on the XL, it is not looking good for the loaded builds for production this year. I don't have my XL yet and have checked about adding the hitch but am being told it is too late to alter the order. It would be the easiest option but do plan on figuring out the wiring issue. My hope is the $90 Bronco Sport inline tee kit will work on the Maverick too. If I had my truck I would gamble the $90 to verify it for myself and others. Probably by the time I have my truck they will be vailable for the Maverick. Good luck on getting your XLT and you should have no problem selling the XL.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit...Nzi-F_rthtsqdIS1F7tj3Hq8A4Fj89TQaAsA1EALw_wcB
Sponsored