Sponsored

Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame?

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick. 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can anybody post a pic of how their receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame?
Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can anybody post a pic of how their receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame?
I'm thinking if you ask Mr. Boom really nice, he may accommodate when he pulls the rear bumper off his project truck,,,,

HRG

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
@Brice @maverickfx4 @Jukebox Nero @mdl20813 @CLH917

Would one of you be able to take a picture of how the receiver mounts to the subframe? Do the bolts run into a threaded hole or does it look like we have to fish bolts through the subframe rail?

Thanks
Receiver is welded to a bar that stretches the whole back bumper where it is welded to a pair of arms that are bolted with 2 bolts to each side of the frame, it appears.

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? PXL_20211018_032414820

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? PXL_20211018_032514428

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? PXL_20211018_032454862

Ford Maverick Pic request: how tow hitch receiver is bolted onto the bumper/frame? PXL_20211018_032627413

docwatson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissans
Receiver is welded to a bar that stretches the whole back bumper where it is welded to a pair of arms that are bolted with 2 bolts to each side of the frame, it appears.
That's really interesting. I wonder what the installation looks like for aftermarket.

Hopefully you don't have to remove the rear bumper to slide those arms in.

Good luck @Tman

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's really interesting. I wonder what the installation looks like for aftermarket.

Hopefully you don't have to remove the rear bumper to slide those arms in.

Good luck @Tman
Honest question - why would anyone build a Maverick without a hitch? Its a $100 add-on (if it isn't included in just about every option package in some form).

docwatson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissans
Honest question - why would anyone build a Maverick without a hitch? Its a $100 add-on (if it isn't included in just about every option package in some form).
I don't know but I guarantee at least some dealer-order Maverick's won't have hitches.

It wasn't in this thread, but this all stemmed from a guy that bought a Maverick without a hitch.

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know but I guarantee at least some dealer-order Maverick's won't have hitches.

It wasn't in this thread, but this all stemmed from a guy that bought a Maverick without a hitch.
I have already seen that.

OP
OP

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick. 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought a truck without a hitch. I had ordered a hybrid, but had no idea how long I would have to wait until it was built. A dealer called me about one that was just delivered. I went and looked at it and decided to buy it.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
That bar that spans the whole bumper is colloquially called a "crash bar". It, along with the EPS (Styrofoam), is what's primarily supposed to deform and absorb energy from a collision.

The Ford Explorer has a similar setup. The OEM hitch is part of the crash bar itself. An aftermarket hitch for the Explorer bolts to the subframe/unibody structure below the crash bar.

I'd wager that the aftermarket hitches for the Maverick will be similar in that they will bolt to the subframe/unibody below the crash bar. Aftermarket companies generally want easier installation over better (AKA higher) hitch receiver placement. Removing the crash bar requires a lot of disassembly and reassembly, which increases the chances of damaging something in the process.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought a truck without a hitch. I had ordered a hybrid, but had no idea how long I would have to wait until it was built. A dealer called me about one that was just delivered. I went and looked at it and decided to buy it.
Congrats! It seems like the only ones ordering no hitch builds are...the dealers :) Maybe they have instructions from Ford on this!

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was instructed by my sales person to eliminate all options to speed up the build process and that the dealer would add the options at the same price as listed. Looks like this may not be possible with the hitch if what I am reading is correct. I will not be happy if they expect me to pay more for a lower quality bolt on hitch.
Sponsored