First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the value in this truck is the hybrid motor and the 2 lower trims. If I were going to tow or go off road much, I'd be looking at other models (maybe the new '22 Ranger for the bump in capability). I live in the southwest, so take it with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that snow tires are more important than AWD - plenty of folks get through winters driving FWD and snow tires. I need a truck for home depot, the dump, hauling a bike rack around and efficient, comfortable trips. I'm replacing a '00 Tacoma V6 -- a V6 that get's the mileage of a V8, 17mpg combined - so 40mpg is very compelling to me.
Your usage description sounds like me..compost dump, hardware store, home depot etc.
I am really drawn to the hybrid. Just figured this afternoon that at today's prices I would save $750.00 yearly in gas costs. I just spent $50.00 to fill up my Sienna. Boy that was a shock to me.

And I have to have the power driver's seat due to some physical issues. So if add the 2.0T and XLT with luxury package and sunroof it starts to get pricy. We are both retired and though not poor...well..our income is not going up that's for sure.

My only serious concern is the fact the electric motor is a new Ford internal design. And I remember the disaster of the 6.0 diesel. Ford had a bullet proof International 7.3 diesel in their Super Duty. Until they parted ways with IH. The 6.0 was just horrible. Many many unhappy customers...
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My only serious concern is the fact the electric motor is a new Ford internal design.
Its really not that different from the Escape out since 2020.

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Bronco Black Diamond
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My only serious concern is the fact the electric motor is a new Ford internal design. And I remember the disaster of the 6.0 diesel. Ford had a bullet proof International 7.3 diesel in their Super Duty. Until they parted ways with IH. The 6.0 was just horrible. Many many unhappy customers...
Ford has been working with these transaxles since 2005. Ford modifies them every 4 years to make improvements. Here is a detailed youtube video that shows three generations. I think it is a solid drivetrain. There are also 2021 Escape hybrid videos on youtube that will give you an idea of the driving characteristics. The 2.5 Atkinson cycle motor s tried and true as well... a Mazda design I believe. I'm retired too, so our usage and needs sound very much alike. IMO, the hybrid is a no brainer - it sounds like a fabulous system. edit: Mavericks have the 4th generation of this hybrid.

Last edited:

Gray Beard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a truck
My concern about the hybrid is less about reliability and more about that low torque number. But, I’m assuming that the “always there” torque of the electric motor makes up for that.

Can’t wait to give one of these things a test drive!

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I've heard torque is good at the low end, but not the high.... thus the 2K towing limit. For towing or off-road, I think I'd look for a completely different vehicle.

But with torque I think we'll just have to drive it ... or maybe drive an Escape to get a feel. It does have a sport mode if you want to burn some gas... hahh

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I've heard torque is good at the low end, but not the high.... thus the 2K towing limit. For towing or off-road, I think I'd look for a completely different vehicle.

But with torque I think we'll just have to drive it ... or maybe drive an Escape to get a feel. It does have a sport mode if you want to burn some gas... hahh
You can't count on electric power with a 1.1kwh battery (that's tiny) while towing, because once you use it if there's no recharging cycles because you're say in traffic towing up a hill, then it just doesn't exist, so for safety sake you can't count on it.

Second, it has a CVT which many think can provide infinite gear ratios, but they can't. While they can provide a wide range of ratios, they typically can't do very low gearing well while still having enough tall ratio for cruising on the highway. That's a reason the 8-speed with the tow package has a higher final drive.

Lastly there are heat issues, which is why the tow package includes a beefier transmission oil cooler, radiator, and cooling fan. As Nissan has learned with their CVTs, they don't tolerate heat well which is usually what destroys them.

So the ecoboost w/ tow package is a no brainer for someone that plans to tow frequently or at high loads. For myself, I'm trading in the big Ram mostly because I'm not towing often anymore, and when I am its a light micro-trailer towing a 500lb motorcycle, which you could probably tow with a Fiat 500, heh.

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in the same boat - as in I have no plans to tow frequently or at high loads. At most I'll be towing a very light pop-up camper or a utility trailer as needed, so I'll feel comfortable doing so with merely the hybrid model.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford has been working with these transaxles since 2005. Ford modifies them every 4 years to make improvements. Here is a detailed youtube video that shows three generations. I think it is a solid drivetrain. There are also 2021 Escape hybrid videos on youtube that will give you an idea of the driving characteristics. The 2.5 Atkinson cycle motor s tried and true as well... a Mazda design I believe. I'm retired too, so our usage and needs sound very much alike. IMO, the hybrid is a no brainer - it sounds like a fabulous system. edit: Mavericks have the 4th generation of this hybrid.

I also choose the hybrid version. However, to be honest, its electric motor is newly designed. There is an article about this update👇
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-motor-technology

Furthermore, so far as I understand it, Maverick is the first pickup to use "Force Vectoring Spring" instead of a multilink rear or a solid beam axle. This one is a revolution for me.

Generally, I believe that gardening and commuter users, like me, will love this new little hybrid guy. And I will keep it in the garden and road, away from Rubicon.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your usage description sounds like me..compost dump, hardware store, home depot etc.
I am really drawn to the hybrid. Just figured this afternoon that at today's prices I would save $750.00 yearly in gas costs. I just spent $50.00 to fill up my Sienna. Boy that was a shock to me.

And I have to have the power driver's seat due to some physical issues. So if add the 2.0T and XLT with luxury package and sunroof it starts to get pricy. We are both retired and though not poor...well..our income is not going up that's for sure.

"compost" 😂😂 That's the word making me start to seek a pickup.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Furthermore, so far as I understand it, Maverick is the first pickup to use "Force Vectoring Spring" instead of a multilink rear or a solid beam axle. This one is a revolution for me.
Only on the FWD though, which is intended to be an improvement on a standard twist beam suspension. They don't work w/ AWD though, so those get a true independent rear which is part of the extra cost. The fanciest is the Santa Cruz that has an independent rear too, but they are able to keep the spring rates lower by putting on self-leveling dampers that has its own internal adjustable air-spring. So like old Reebok pump sneakers, if you load up the bed or tow something with a lot of tongue weight, as the suspension moves down the road it pumps itself up to level and when that load is gone it lowers itself again. They haven't confirmed if every trim gets it, or if its just on the higher ones, which will probably be around $40K so you lose the value proposition.

Last edited:
Sponsored

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also choose the hybrid version. However, to be honest, its electric motor is newly designed. There is an article about this update👇
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-motor-technology

Generally, I believe that gardening and commuter users, like me, will love this new little hybrid guy. And I will keep it in the garden and road, away from Rubicon.
Yes, one of the motors is new, lighter and more efficient -- but the system itself is well known. Thanks for mentioning Force Vectoring spring - that's a new one on me as well. They use it in the Fiesta ST - the hot hatch -- so maybe our mavericks will handle like a hot hatch.

Until this year, I could not find a vehicle that appealed to me all that much.... and here Ford has come up with two. I also have, what I thought was on an early reservation, an order in for a Bronco (I must be crazy). So I've got the Rubicon covered as well. ;)

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, one of the motors is new, lighter and more efficient -- but the system itself is well known. Thanks for mentioning Force Vectoring spring - that's a new one on me as well. They use it in the Fiesta ST - the hot hatch -- so maybe our mavericks will handle like a hot hatch.

Until this year, I could not find a vehicle that appealed to me all that much.... and here Ford has come up with two. I also have, what I thought was on an early reservation, an order in for a Bronco (I must be crazy). So I've got the Rubicon covered as well. ;)
I went from replacing one vehicle to now having three!

I think my Mav will be here before the Bronco!

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went from replacing one vehicle to now having three!

I think my Mav will be here before the Bronco!
Haha... I feel better now. I have a third day res on the Bronco (July 15), which I thought would get me the vehicle this fall. Not a chance, next spring most likely -- so I think the Maverick will definitely be here first and I'm looking forward to it.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

A hot hatch with a box, I like this picture. 😂

Good luck in this Rubicon thing, wherever it is 🤭

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can't count on electric power with a 1.1kwh battery (that's tiny) while towing, because once you use it if there's no recharging cycles because you're say in traffic towing up a hill, then it just doesn't exist, so for safety sake you can't count on it.

Second, it has a CVT which many think can provide infinite gear ratios, but they can't. While they can provide a wide range of ratios, they typically can't do very low gearing well while still having enough tall ratio for cruising on the highway. That's a reason the 8-speed with the tow package has a higher final drive.

Lastly there are heat issues, which is why the tow package includes a beefier transmission oil cooler, radiator, and cooling fan. As Nissan has learned with their CVTs, they don't tolerate heat well which is usually what destroys them.

So the ecoboost w/ tow package is a no brainer for someone that plans to tow frequently or at high loads. For myself, I'm trading in the big Ram mostly because I'm not towing often anymore, and when I am its a light micro-trailer towing a 500lb motorcycle, which you could probably tow with a Fiat 500, heh.
Well, as I said, if I were towing or going off-road I'd look at a completely different vehicle. If you’re going to be leaving paved road get a Ranger. If you need to do towing regularly or heavier, get a Ranger. The Ranger is being re-designed for 2022 and will use the same updated body on frame platform as the Bronco and I'll bet offer the 2.7tt v6 as well.

If you want a truly small pickup with small pickup use cases get a Maverick. I like that the hybrid uses Ford's force vectoring springs for the rear end suspension. You can haul 1500lbs in the bed, but it will handle like a Fiesta ST. :p

Also, the Nissan CVT is a completely different animal than the Ford eCVT. Nissan's uses pulleys, Ford's uses gears and is a 4th generation proven eCVT.
Sponsored