First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid ordered 9/17/22.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would a ceramic coating improve the durability of the paint? Seems like I remember that being an option (either dealer added or factory). I opted not to get it. Mistake?
Sponsored

zstansel

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang Mach 1 HP, 06 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would a ceramic coating improve the durability of the paint? Seems like I remember that being an option (either dealer added or factory). I opted not to get it. Mistake?
It's a protectant layer. Anything that would have sat on your paint (tree sap, plant fallout, rail dust, bird poo, etc.) will instead sit on the ceramic coating. It would do nothing for rock chips. That would be paint protection film, or ppf.

You did not make a mistake by opting out. You definitely do not want the dealer doing this. You want a vetted shop doing it. It's also "never too late" to have the truck ceramic coated. A quality coating and application will be in the $2K range, somewhat depending on your area. I wouldn't trust anything much under $1500 if you get to shopping around.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's a protectant layer. Anything that would have sat on your paint (tree sap, plant fallout, rail dust, bird poo, etc.) will instead sit on the ceramic coating. It would do nothing for rock chips. That would be paint protection film, or ppf.

You did not make a mistake by opting out. You definitely do not want the dealer doing this. You want a vetted shop doing it. It's also "never too late" to have the truck ceramic coated. A quality coating and application will be in the $2K range, somewhat depending on your area. I wouldn't trust anything much under $1500 if you get to shopping around.
Some detailing shops will offer it at a cheaper rate if you get it within the first month or so of purchasing the vehicle because a lot less prep work is required.

zstansel

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang Mach 1 HP, 06 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some detailing shops will offer it at a cheaper rate if you get it within the first month or so of purchasing the vehicle because a lot less prep work is required.
I could see that. The bulk of the cost is in the labor hours for the paint correction. In general, a new car should have less imperfections than one that's been driven for 3 months. Really depends on whether the owner let the dealer give it the ol scratch and swirl special.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

First off, all modern paint sucks. This is not a Maverick specific problem. It's apparently better for the environment now, but it's thin and easily chipped especially on plastic surfaces.

Ceramic coatings are very expensive for what you get. It is wax with a clearcoat. The clearcoat is .02-.05 mil thick. It offers no meaningful protection against stone chips. Read that again.

You can achieve the same shine by hand washing, clay bar if necessary, and applying your own wax. I use Meguiar's hybrid ceramic every 60-180 days (depending on how much it's out in the elements) and it's $15 a tube that lasts at least 6 applications.

The only real protection against stone chips on the bumper cover and front fascia is paint protection film. Products range from 4 to 13 mil thickness and the thick ones are 'self healing' against gravel chips and scrapes from branches because the material is so thick that it can melt and re-form smoothly in the sun or if necessary a heat gun. But even the thinnest PPF is more than 100 times thicker than the clearcoat layer of ceramic coatings.

If you have vehicles a very long time, buy a quality PPF and plan to have it professionally removed and replaced at the 5 to 10 year mark. The old days of PPF yellowing and cracking should be gone unless you're buying cheap crap on Amazon and applying it yourself.

You can spend your money on whatever you like but I would suggest PPF every time over ceramic, and no, I would not pay for ceramic on top of PPF but if that appeals to you, go for it. Here's a pic of my Bronco with PPF on the grille, partial hood, door cups, lower doors (to the 'blood groove'), fender flares and side mirrors. And the shine? Regular wax.

Ford Maverick Maverick Paint sucks. PXL_20230618_002749483

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I got my Maverick coated with graphene coating which is much cheaper than ceramic and does the same thing. No protection against rock chips but MUCH easier to spray off debris. I just go into the car wash and do: Water spray, wax, water spray and it comes out looking new

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yes, there is a pretty good post someone did a while back. I think the guy was a detailer. Anyhow if I recall right it was 3-5 mil thick in various places. Pretty thin stuff.

EDIT: found it

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...erience-thin-paint-ceramic-coating-etc.14921/
great pics in that thread and his truck is beautifully detailed, but I guarantee it will chip when the right rock comes flying in.

the reason ceramic is more popular with detailers than PPF is because PPF has a high material cost and much lower profit margin per job. ceramic is a great gig if you can get it. detailers can offer pretty much any warranty they want on ceramic because if it chips or the shine fades they just say it's a road hazard or wasn't maintained / treated properly.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
My XLT 2022 Maverick with 12,500 miles in odometer already have a rusty hood. How is that possible when it sleeps indoor? I am taking it to the dealer because is under factory warranty. But why what kind of a lousy paint job this cars come with?
Rare case of that dreaded aluminum rust 🧐
Tires might be next, even rarer Rubber Rust.

Sponsored

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
I have heard of hot metal from sparking railroad wheels landing on paint and causing a “rust spot “. Could this be the cause?

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's does form an oxide layer just like carbon steel. So yes aluminum does rust. It just doesn't turn orange/brown but a white color
Fe2O3 is rust. Requires iron. Aluminum does not rust.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Paint sucks, rear visibility sucks, tracker sucks, XL seats suck, the screen sucks, CV axles suck, shitty plastic interior sucks, the insulation sucks, the engine noise sucks, Ford dealers suck (true story), everything about the Maverick sucks....

They should have just called it the Maversuck.

Can't believe Ford can't keep these things on the lot.

mde-5062

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 F-150, '22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have had my XLT Hybrid for a year also and my paint looks great . I have put spray wax and spray acrylic on it and it's stays outside but interested in this rust issue would also like to see pics 🤔

IMG_20230509_133707087.jpg
Spray acrylic as you you spray painted it? Or is that something else entirely?
Sponsored