Sponsored

Manual Transmission. If it was offered, would you choose a Standard?

Would you have ordered with a manual transmission?

• Total voters

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When a society forgets to do menial tasks they are in fact dumber. I have seen doctors that I would bet a dime to a dollar cannot unscrew a light bulb. As a society we forget that as complicated as todays systems are to us, the technology of any time was just as complicated to those in that time. The engineers who invented the computer for example could probably still change their own oil and flat tire and more than likely do their own tuneup.
My wife is the perfect example of the dumbing down God bless her soul......She is not stupid, but is so reliant on technology that she cannot even read a map. We are becoming so smart we are forgetting how to do simple tasks like that. Ask a 20 year old today how to replace a toilet. It takes about 30 minutes and just a wrench and a screwdriver. Better yet, ask that same 20 year old to show you how to use a tape measure. Yes. We are becoming dumber. Technology is getting better and soon will even be driving for us. We will be the dumber for it.
Your doctor is likely smart enough to google how to change a lightbulb. And your doctor's children (and your own) are coding the software that run their games. Don't be dismissive of useful 21st century skills. I don't know how to shoe a horse OR rebuild a transmission, but I know how to search online for someone who does - if my life upends and I need someone to do one of those things.

While I can drive a car with a manual transmission, AND write in cursive, it's amazing how useless both of those abilities are in 2021. Kids these days are just as smart and accomplished as geezers, they're just smart and accomplished in more useful ways.

Let's move on from this kind of stereotyping.
Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. I love my manual truck right now, but one of the impetuses of buying the Mav is that my non-manual-driving spouse can drive it in an emergency.
One of the things that I always appreciated, was that my wife could drive a manual. She had a manual Sentra when we met many years ago.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like manual enough that my wife and i would probably opt for the ecoboost over hybrid if ecoboost came manual.

Manual transmissions are superior in every way except for shift speed.

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im a 34 year old millennial, my first 2 cars were manual transmissions and I really liked them.
But when sitting in traffic it's not fun grinding away my clutch every 5 feet.
And gas mileage on automatics has been better for over 10 years surprisingly.
If I bought something to play with on my days off I would definitely want a stick shift. But for commuting all over the place in every type of traffic, I'll stick with an automatic.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a Honda NC700 DCT for about a year and a half, and absolutely loved the transmission. A DCT is essentially an automated manual transmission. Hyundai/Kia use a DCT in their hybrids, so it makes me wonder if a manual transmission could be set up to work with a hybrid. Not that that would interest me, just thinking out loud.
1st generation Honda Insight.

Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never owned anything but manuals going back 40 years now. I was looking for a next car and manual was a must-have. But when I decided on the Mav, the lack of manual wasn't so important. I don't expect to drive it the way I've driven all my other cars (all coupes and compact sedans);

Approach the off-ramp at 70+mph
Downshift one gear, then another (double-clutching)
Brake very late; just a quick stab to shift weight even further forward
Crank the wheel to the right setting up a drift
balance all the way around the ramp with the gas pedal and a touch of opposite lock as necessary

;)

Maybe not the fastest way around, but it's a hell of a lot of fun!

I don't expect the Mav to stimulate or reward that behavior, so I don't believe I'll mind losing the manual. Still, if they offered one, I'd probably take it...just 'cause.

SHBGuerrilla

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, Cyber Orange 2.0
I wouldn't buy a manual if you paid me to. I only value driving as a means of transportation. I don't have any love for cars or driving itself. While I'd probably never surrender the ability to pilot a vehicle myself, if only to help drive on back roads and trails in the mountains, the less I have to interact with the better. Allows me to stay more vigilant for the kind of day drinkers who keep running through my neighbors fence at 9 in the morning.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

you can keep your traffic! :ROFLMAO:
Clear and sunny, a great day for a drive. Then, someone burns out their clutch, blocks traffic, and there I sit.

Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clear and sunny, a great day for a drive. Then, someone burns out their clutch, blocks traffic, and there I sit.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Funny, but of course it doesn't work that way. Clutches go slowly enough that you can always limp home or to the shop.

But I have twice blown seals in my clutch slave cylinder, rendering the clutch useless. Fortunately I knew how to powershift and was still able to get home. Can't say that everyone can do that. One failure happened with my wife driving. I had to switch seats to get the car home.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Funny, but of course it doesn't work that way. Clutches go slowly enough that you can always limp home or to the shop.

But I have twice blown seals in my clutch slave cylinder, rendering the clutch useless. Fortunately I knew how to powershift and was still able to get home. Can't say that everyone can do that. One failure happened with my wife driving. I had to switch seats to get the car home.
When I was in hi-school I got my 50 dodge stuck in the sand. After a farmer pulled me out the clutch would not in-gauge. I had turned the plate to glass.

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
100% would have gone manual if it were offered. First car was manual, but I recently totaled it and needed a car fast, so I jumped into the first good deal I found which was a Hyundai Sonata, 6-spd auto. It's fine, but it's in no way exciting. I don't plan on doing any heavy towing or rock-crawling (two places I think autos excel) so I would rather have that extra engagement from the manual.

KRae

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kareena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki SX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would love having a manual truck! My current little Suzuki SX4 is manual and I will miss it. Yeah getting stuck in traffic sucks, but luckily that only happens on a rare occasion (even here in Denver). Driving manual daily isn't a pain at all, it is all just part of the routine for me.

Also, if my truck was a manual then I wouldn't have to worry about everyone wanting to borrow it to help them move or to test drive it. Most people my age (30) would see the stick shift and say... "never mind, I can't drive that!" haha

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Manual is less efficient than modern AT, so no.
Sponsored