Sponsored

Manual Transmission. If it was offered, would you choose a Standard?

Would you have ordered with a manual transmission?

• Total voters

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used to commute in a manual truck...did that for 5 years. Never again. Sometimes I'd get stuck in stop and go traffic for 3 hours. You'll never want a manual in a truck again.

If I lived in Wyoming, maybe. Or if I buy a sports car I'd love a manual. Not for a daily driver though.
Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dad taught me how to drive stick at 12, so I could get him and his buddies back to the ranch after hunting season happy hours. Always loved driving them, but not as a daily…easy fix for that thrill? Motorcycle.

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I like manuals but only in sporty cars driving on twisty roads. The Maverick isn't that kind of vehicle, so no.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A couple years ago, I dropped off my late-model manual commuter for a warranty repair. Went to pick it up after work. The service adviser said they'd be right back. They were gone for over 20 minutes and returned...on foot.

Turns out, the service adviser didn't know that car was available with a manual, couldn't drive it, and couldn't find anyone else to drive it because almost all the mechanics, porters, and service advisers went home.

If the Maverick came in a manual I would get it, assuming I could get a decently upfitted trim. I think Toyota has got the right idea by only offering the manual Tacoma in TRD Off Road trim. But I have a feeling that Ford would do something similar like with the Ford Escape XLS Manual (yes, it was its own trim line) and only offer it in the most stripped-out spec.

But eh, a manual to me isn't a deal-breaker. My preferred transmission is an automatic with a manual valve body, but you're not going to find one of those in a mainstream vehicle.
The Taco also comes manual in TRD Sport trim. I know………came very close to buying one. But the Mav is half the price and twice the mileage. All the safety features will save my ass one day as I advance in age. (Just got my production notice today.
November 22….. my 73rd birthday!) The future is here!
QUOTE="notfast, post: 51987, member: 832"]
A couple years ago, I dropped off my late-model manual commuter for a warranty repair. Went to pick it up after work. The service adviser said they'd be right back. They were gone for over 20 minutes and returned...on foot.

Turns out, the service adviser didn't know that car was available with a manual, couldn't drive it, and couldn't find anyone else to drive it because almost all the mechanics, porters, and service advisers went home.

If the Maverick came in a manual I would get it, assuming I could get a decently upfitted trim. I think Toyota has got the right idea by only offering the manual Tacoma in TRD Off Road trim. But I have a feeling that Ford would do something similar like with the Ford Escape XLS Manual (yes, it was its own trim line) and only offer it in the most stripped-out spec.

But eh, a manual to me isn't a deal-breaker. My preferred transmission is an automatic with a manual valve body, but you're not going to find one of those in a mainstream vehicle.
[/QUOTE]

JTCC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Juno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid and 12 motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to love manuals. Learned to drive on stick, and I've owned several over the years. I also used to hate driver assists like lane keep, BLIS, and ACC. Then I got a job and started commuting, then I started riding. These days, I'd rather my cars/trucks be comfortable more than anything, and I'd rather my bikes do the job of being unadulterated mechanical fun.

I tried using a 5 speed Ranger as a daily once, and that might've singlehandedly made me a believer in the autobox.

Sponsored

BGP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Frontier
I've been driving manuals for 30+ years now (my entire driving career), including my current DD, a 2006 Frontier. I must be getting old, because I'm 'done' with DD manual. Ready to relax.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A manual trans is fun for about an hour before reality kicks back in.

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My last three daily's (1988 Honda CRX, 2013 Golf TDI and now a 2011 Volvo C30 R Design) have all been manuals (and hatchbacks). I do love rowing my own gears though a hybrid truck would probably not be near the same.

So I voted yes but thinking more thru it I don't think this would be a fun truck to shift gears, but the 2.0, maybe...

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I voted yes but thinking more thru it I don't think this would be a fun truck to shift gears, but the 2.0, maybe...
The 2.0 would be great with a manual,, Ford has actually done that combo before (Mondeo ST - Europe)

Sponsored

Stetson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ford Raptor, 2018 Fiesta ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’d take a manual for sure - especially if they knock another $1k off the price!

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
As much as I like driving a manual transmission after owning one when I separated my Achilles’ tendon kick starting a thumper it’s auto box for me on all daily drivers.
while the surgery and healing took place I couldn’t use my daily driver.
if it was an auto I could have one footed it…

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’d take a manual for sure - especially if they knock another $1k off the price!
I'd actually pay a $1K premium, and I don't typically spend for frills.

I don't need or want a lot of big screens, leather, memory seats, mirrors, or other gadgetry, but a manual and premium audio make for a good drive.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd actually pay a $1K premium, and I don't typically spend for frills.

I don't need or want a lot of big screens, leather, memory seats, mirrors, or other gadgetry, but a manual and premium audio make for a good drive.
Hear, Hear!!!

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No. My first vehicle was an early 80's toyota pickup with a manual. Never again, at least not for a daily driver.

I do wish it had a regular gear shifter with the ability to shift up or down at will. I actually use that feature all the time to keep from accidentally speeding in school zones.
Sponsored