Sponsored

8-Speed Transmission: Can it be downshifted manually?

KRae

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kareena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki SX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree that it would be nice to be able to manually control which gear you're in. However, check out page 227 of the Mav Owners Manual (you can find them online). The Drive Modes add different types of help by shifting the gears the way you would shift if you had manual control. For example, the Tow/Haul mode downshifts the transmission based on how hard you press the brake! I've never heard of that before, but that's just me. Maybe it's become common. After driving it, maybe I won't feel the need to manually shift the gears.

Drive Modes.JPG
I am used to driving a stick in the snow. I am really hoping that slippery mode shifts like how I would in the snow and ice.
Sponsored

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Once in a while a rude reminder that you are actually buying an economy vehicle, regardless of the trim, pops up and slaps you in the face with a wake-up call. If I take a ride in my wife’s BMW just the display on the head unit alone reminds me of how far from “fancy” my Maverick will be.

Redwun

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks, now you're jogging my memory. I'm getting tow so I'll have haul. FX4 has the hill descent. I ain't getting that.
So I have to guess the Haul doesn't downshift down grades. Oh well.
[/QUOT
I am fairly certain that the tow/haul will engine brake. My last 3 Ford trucks did!

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Getting off the highway in my MINI I use the cruise control to slow the vehicle. Just gradually reduce the set speed. I can slow down all the way to 20. Computer downshifts the trans and slows. Sure hope Ford trans behaves the same way.

desmobob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was wondering about the Ford 8-speed today... One of my most frequent destinations requires driving up over a small mountain and then down into the valley on the other side. In my '09 Subaru Forester with a four-speed auto, I descend most of the way in 3rd and then downshift to 2nd when I'm near the bottom. It's a fairly steep descent and there's an intersection at the bottom of the hill.

With an 8-speed automatic transmission with only a button that says "L" to select, I was wondering what I'll be doing on that hill when I get my Maverick....

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was wondering about the Ford 8-speed today... One of my most frequent destinations requires driving up over a small mountain and then down into the valley on the other side. In my '09 Subaru Forester with a four-speed auto, I descend most of the way in 3rd and then downshift to 2nd when I'm near the bottom. It's a fairly steep descent and there's an intersection at the bottom of the hill.

With an 8-speed automatic transmission with only a button that says "L" to select, I was wondering what I'll be doing on that hill when I get my Maverick....
I do not know but I would expect that if you set your Cruse control to whatever speed you want to maintain going down hill (70-65-60-55-etc) the cruise would drop 1-2 gears or whatever that will not harm trans and/or engine and will apply brakes to maintain set speed if necessary. If you reduced Cruse speed too rapidly you could cause damage something so reduce cruise setting by. Watch how cruise responds if it's coasting and gaining speed (give it time to act). I had a Chrysler years ago that would cut fuel (using engine to brake ). It would max the miles per gallon display at 90mpg and maintain 70mph going down steep hill in SW Missouri. Another time I set it to 64-65(?) And it kept that speed. Also I would like to mention that someone (probably on here and I don't remember if they were referring to eco or hybrid) claimed that "L" was notification that you did not intend to go faster than 50-55 and shift points would be adjusted for that operational scenario. I envision that it's like tow/haul without reducing shift points as far as tow/haul would. Just one of many things to check out???

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Deleted member 1483

L mode will put the car in the lowest gear that makes sense for whatever speed you are in. It will be good for enhanced engine braking and for situations where you don't want the transmission to automatically upshift.

The primary use of it, if I ever use it, will be for the few times I do steep grades near Uniontown PA. I imagine it would be useful for putting torque down to get through snow.

Slippery mode seems to me to be for when you want to reduce slip, not make progress. I would not recommend slippery mode for getting through heavy snow or mud.

If all you want to do is have more engine braking L mode will do exactly what you need.

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was hoping the "L" button would drop me a gear at a time with each press. The Haul mode on my F150 downshifts going down hills to keep the speed constant. With the Mav I'll engage it descending forest roads. Hopefully someone here has advice for getting off the Highway? I like to get over 150k on my brake pads.
Brake pads are cheap compared to other parts .

Maverick Grabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chrysler 200, 2022 Maverick XLT Red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can the 8-speed be downshifted manually like the six speed in my '13 F150? What is the "L" for on that rotary shifter knob? Anyone know?
Also, I did a forum search before posting and one user says the tranny is crap. What?
steep hills and towing it is low gear and is explained in the manual

Maverick Grabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chrysler 200, 2022 Maverick XLT Red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
L mode will put the car in the lowest gear that makes sense for whatever speed you are in. It will be good for enhanced engine braking and for situations where you don't want the transmission to automatically upshift.

The primary use of it, if I ever use it, will be for the few times I do steep grades near Uniontown PA. I imagine it would be useful for putting torque down to get through snow.

Slippery mode seems to me to be for when you want to reduce slip, not make progress. I would not recommend slippery mode for getting through heavy snow or mud.

If all you want to do is have more engine braking L mode will do exactly what you need.
from the manual

In low (L) your vehicle decelerates more noticeably than in drive (D) when the accelerator pedal is released.
Note: We recommend using this mode for driving on hilly or mountainous roads or when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer
Sponsored