Sponsored

Is it possible to add an aftermarket transmission cooler to a Hybrid Maverick?

CitizenSnips

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm hoping to be towing close to the Hyrbid's limit (2,000 lbs.) and was wondering if anyone has successfully added an aftermarket trans oil cooler system. Something like this is what I was thinking of:
Sponsored

mavmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would love to have it on my Hybrid. anyone have done this?

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems like a solution in search of a problem. Ford has already vetted this system pretty well. An eCVT is not the same as a CVT which can add a fluid cooler pretty easily (still likely not worth the cost and effort). If you are mostly staying in Florida I wouldn't even worry about it unless you are seeing some kind of overheating issue. Trying to push the limits of a hybrid eCVT system doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do, which is why they have the Ecoboost 4K package with upgraded cooling and brake controller.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems like a solution in search of a problem. Ford has already vetted this system pretty well. An eCVT is not the same as a CVT which can add a fluid cooler pretty easily (still likely not worth the cost and effort). If you are mostly staying in Florida I wouldn't even worry about it unless you are seeing some kind of overheating issue. Trying to push the limits of a hybrid eCVT system doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do, which is why they have the Ecoboost 4K package with upgraded cooling and brake controller.
I would agree, sounds that's just asking for trouble. I'm sure there's sound reasoning Ford didn't allow optional 4K towing pkg on the current hybrid at this time. Maybe it can be updated along with AWD in future redesigned model year designs.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think that heavy use will heat up the eCVT transmission fluid the same way as a torque converter. As far as I can tell the transmission fluid is just there to lube the bearings & gears, it isn't a power transfer medium like a regular auto. Given that the EB & Hybrids have the same tow capacity w/o 4WD, pretty sure the limiter is the rear axel. But I would be more worried about the EB transmission than the hybrid.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Also a limiting factor is the FWD.
It's not really the eCVT which is actually well suited, I think better for towing. Other makes and models of hybrid with same type of transmission are rated 3500 lbs.

More weight on the rear means less traction on the front. Towing on dirt, gravel, or heaven forbid snow, your front wheels are going to slip.

If you are in steady state, like steady speed on flat or mostly flat highways, nothing is going to heat up.

Taken from years of experience, if you are in undulating hills, or lots of stop n go, the battery is the first to heat up from all the boosting and regenerating.

It'll pull 2000 lbs. all day long on a 100 degree day, stock.
Sponsored